Any failed minimalists out there?

There was a time when I joked that the inside of my apartment looked like the inside of a ping pong ball. A bed, a chair, a table, a TV, a four-place setting of cheap tableware and a four-place setting of Corelware was the extent of my possessions. Oh, yes, a car and a motorcycle (bike parked in the living room). At age 25 I still had clothes I'd bought in high school. That's not the entire list but you get the drift.

I'm not quite ready to go back to that level of austerity.

I like stuff, especially tools, computers, and machines that go fast. But we are in the process of weaning ourselves of stuff that we don't use much or at all anymore.

I'm starting to currently read into minimalism a bit more and it does interest me. I don't think I'll ever go as far as <100 things, but I do see it a bit like a pendulum for myself. Right now, we currently do have too much "stuff" and we need to weed our wardrobes and storage spaces. I mean, who doesn't want to be more organized and have only the stuff you actually use and need?

Heck - I just bought a 48 jar spice rack for the new house!

And organizing the spices I already had in the motorhome, I filled up 45 of them!

So, I can already tell - even in the kitchen I'm way over the 100 item limit. Not for me! LOL!

And we are already way downsized compared to most people, as we got rid of a huge amount of stuff when we sold the house and moved into a motorhome and we are trying to add only what we really use.

BTW - I really do use all those spices! Can't cook without them.

Audrey

Sorry, I don't get one in one out either. I have two desk top computers. I use both, however one only four or five times a year. What do I gain by getting rid of it. More room on a desk I don't use. OH, get rid of the desk, then I have more room in a room I would not use, SO get rid of the room, then I would have a wife that is not happy as it is her dream house and we would have to move. In the end we would have a smaller house, in a place we did not like as much, to have more money in the bank, which we would not use, because we would not be buying stuff. The only one that comes out ahead in this is our kids when we dye.

Hey, look at Bill Gates. He would be happier as a minimalist.
Inside Bill Gates House - Pictures of Bill Gates Home - Digital Inspiration
Wouldn't he be happier with a 15 car garage?

When DW and I were married and living on less than $500 a month, with $120 of that for debt, and $600 for rent, we purchased like a minimalist. Now we don't, and I don't make excuses for not.

I am definitely a failed minimalist. I have added quite a bit of useless but pretty antique junk to my household over the years. I recently boxed some items and stored them at the back of my garage to get them out of the way as they were taking up too much room in my kitchen cabinets. And I think a trip to the thrift store with my Land Cruiser packed to the gills with donated items is on the horizon before winter sets in. I should really learn to sell on Ebay but I am too lazy (and still working M-F). I blame it all on my father. He was an antique collector and inculcated in me a love of charming but largely decorative things. I have to be more utilitarian...if I can't use it, it doesn't matter if it is a bargain.

I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff since I retired, as I had time to think about whether I will ever really use the stuff again. Freecycle and Craigslist is my friend. :D

Just counting my clothes and what's in my pockets and the computer (and peripherals) I'm at 17. That doesn't count the chair or desk or anything. Sounds pretty ridiculously impossible to me, unless you're going to be a cowboy ridin' the range with his boots, saddle, horse, and hat. Yee haw! Enjoy yourself. I want a tent, airmattress, camp stove, flashlight, TP, socks, etc.

Seriously, I'm always in the process of lightening the load. I'll let you know when we get under 10K. I'm down to 4 or 5 hundred books. Hmmm, does this count virtual stuff? I have another 3 or 4 hundred ebooks and pdfs.

This big infatuation with minimalism is just typical American faddishness. Middle aged people used to sit around talking about all the toys that they had, and how cool they were. Now they sit around talking about all the toys they don't have, and how cool they are.

The last thing modern people are after is simplicity. If American style minimalism is so simple, why do we need 100s of books and blogs telling us how to do it?

Ha

This big infatuation with minimalism is just typical American faddishness. Middle aged people used to sit around talking about all the toys that they had, and how cool they were. Now they sit around talking about all the toys they don't have, and how cool they are.

The last thing modern people are after is simplicity. If minimalism is so simple, why do we need 100s of books and blogs telling us how to do it?

Ha

I don't know, but sometimes we don't think we can retire early, then e-r.org comes along... :cool:

The thing Americans do excel at is carrying things to absurd extremes. If a little is good, then a lot must be better, right? Or vice versa...

One of the things I've really started getting interested in is minimalism -- owning less than 100 things, etc. I'm 99% sure I'll like it. Stuff is a drag for me, I don't like shopping, I don't have that much stuff now anyway, etc. The vagabonding and/or teardropping lifestyle seems very appealing.
So has anyone out there thought they'd like minimalism, tried it, and it didn't work for you? If it didn't work for you, why not?
I think the biggest obstacle in my case would be my kids, who at least so far appear to be on the pack-rat side of the spectrum.
You mean "minimalism" as in a submariner lifestyle?

I think minimalism fails when you start a family and shortly thereafter discover that you're one diaper short.

Our kid left almost a week ago. Spouse has already taken over the abandoned toiletries and cleaned out most of a bathroom cabinet. She took over our kid's desk and has cleaned out/stored most of the leftovers there too. We need to spend some time cleaning the fridge & pantry of "food" that we'll never eat. Then we'll move to the closet(s), and so on. Eventually all that will be left are things which we'll actually consume/use.

I don't deprive myself of possessions, but I don't buy more than I can use or more than I want to take care of. Good enough for us.

I vote for the "We Love Our Stuff" thread - bring it on!

I'm a Stuff Lover, and so is my husband...my art and craft supplies take up a good-sized room all their own, while he spread newspapers all over the floor. That said, my philosophy is not Accumulation, but Mindfulness. I try not to live mindlessly, because I want to squeeze all I can out of the only life I have.

So, if we purchase something, it's after much thought, including "How much happier will we be, really, with this item in our lives, and the money it cost gone from our bank account?"

For 2Cor51, the decision to move to a smaller residence needs to be thought through like any big decision...based on what you know of yourself, your progeny, and the neighborhoods in which you might buy a smaller residence. Suspect the more you think it through, and the more data you command, the less likely it is that you'll regret your decision.

Amethyst

You mean "minimalism" as in a submariner lifestyle?

I think minimalism fails when you start a family and shortly thereafter discover that you're one diaper short.

Our kid left almost a week ago. Spouse has already taken over the abandoned toiletries and cleaned out most of a bathroom cabinet. She took over our kid's desk and has cleaned out/stored most of the leftovers there too. We need to spend some time cleaning the fridge & pantry of "food" that we'll never eat. Then we'll move to the closet(s), and so on. Eventually all that will be left are things which we'll actually consume/use.

I don't deprive myself of possessions, but I don't buy more than I can use or more than I want to take care of. Good enough for us.

Never had kids. Am working on getting rid of stuff.

If you count every individual piece of clothing, bedding, etc as one item each then, yes, I have more than 100 things but they're all small things. Other than my car and bed I could fit everything I own in the back of a pickup truck and have no intention of accumulating any more stuff. Every extra thing I accumulate costs more money which requires working longer. No Thanks!

Regarding "100 things" -- if you dig into it a little, most minimalists stretch their definitions and counting abilities quite a bit -- they exclude household items, they group "underwear" into a single item, etc.

I'm not interested in getting down to any arbitrary round number amount of things, but I am already quite spartan and am interested in getting rid of stuff that is lying around that I don't use, don't want, don't need.

In general, most "stuff" to me weighs me down. Every item of stuff comes with the following additional tasks: acquiring the money to acquire it, acquiring it, locating a place for it, maintaining it (washing/dusting/vacuuming), sometimes buying other stuff to go with it (a grill begets grilling tools, grill cleaner, a grill cover, a grilling apron ...), and often eventually getting rid of it. All of that takes time and mental energy that I'd rather spend elsewhere.

Just like I want to be free from my job and my debt, I'd like to be free from most of my stuff.

I like the "try before you buy" approach that several have mentioned. I plan to do that. I've already done that to a certain degree and have enjoyed it immensely each time.

As for the "we love our stuff" people...I say live and let live. I'm not going to try to convert anyone else to minimalism, and I assume those who prefer more stuff and posted on this thread wouldn't mind me being spartan. I was mainly interested if there was anyone else here who had tried it and hadn't liked it.

As far as my kids go, I'm probably going to hold off on the minimalism until they're out of the house. Just because I want to live in a teardrop trailer doesn't mean imposing that on them is the right thing to do. Plus, the great State of Idaho probably wouldn't agree with me that it was in the best interest of the children, especially since it would be a very unconventional lifestyle.

2Cor521

As for the "we love our stuff" people...I say live and let live. I'm not going to try to convert anyone else to minimalism, and I assume those who prefer more stuff and posted on this thread wouldn't mind me being spartan. I was mainly interested if there was anyone else here who had tried it and hadn't liked it.

We know. We were just joking around. :D

The reason we still have so much stuff is mainly because I am frugal. If something still works, it is difficult for me to throw it away. Still, I will admit to times when I got fed up with my stuff.

We have been slowly cleaning things up. Due to us having to empty out our closets for the drywallers to fix damages due to the roof leaks, I threw out many years of IEEE periodicals that I am never going to read again. My wife got rid of a lot of her clothes.

We will continue to clean things up, but it will take some time. It's so god-awfully hot to work in my garage now. There are things in there I need to throw away, I am sure.

Every item of stuff comes with the following additional tasks: acquiring the money to acquire it

And aquiring the money to pay income taxes on it. And sales tax. And possibly luxury tax.

And don't forget the money required to get and keep the j*b required to aquire the money to pay for it....

I think many of us go through a number of phases.

Minimalist -- When I met DH he lived in a "Son of Sam" apartment. Mattress, bicycle, one chair, one reading lamp, 2 spoons, 2 forks, 2 knives, 2 plates, 2 cups, 2 bowls, one saucepan, one frying pan, one big pot, a few books (all books were donated after being read.)

Accumulation-- A friend DH hadn't seen in many years visited recently. He asked what happened and why so much stuff. DH pointed to me and said love and marriage results in more stuff.

Stasis -- DH ER'ed ten years ago and I ESR'ed 3 years ago. We are not accumulating much anymore (except techie toys, fabric, books) but we're also not thinking about minimalism and have financial plans that do not require minimalism.

Decummulation -- After moving my mother from the large house she had lived in for 45 years while rearing 6 kids and numerous others (kids kicked out of their own homes, unwed mothers, homeless family), we are mindful of all the stuff we have that will become useless over time but might be useful to others now.

Minimalist? -- maybe the final stage is back to minimalist. For my mother that is definitely the case as she moves deeper into dementia and is likely to move to smaller and smaller quarters. I'm gradually trying to reduce the "stuff" she has to
1. reduce the stuff I have to deal with when she does have to move,
2. spread out the distribution to children/grandchildren process, and
3. minimize emotional trauma to her in having to let go of things.

I'm gradually trying to reduce the "stuff" she has to
1. reduce the stuff I have to deal with when she does have to move,
2. spread out the distribution to children/grandchildren process, and
3. minimize emotional trauma to her in having to let go of things.

Nice summary FurBall. Also, very thoughtful plan you have for helping your Mother to pare down.

Ha

I have a rule: In order to acquire a new piece of technology, I have to give up and old piece of technology.

Made this a rule at our house too only it applies to everything and the outgoing item can be any category as long as it is physically larger than the inbound item.

No way we will ever see 100 or less territory around here though.

OK, maybe it's just me, but there ain't no way in h*ll I worked for almost 40 years to live with a 100 things! I like stuff! All kinds of stuff! There are more than a hundred things in the room I am setting. Books, furniture, electronic gadgets, and I am not through.

I'm with ya. What's the point of setting an arbitrary number of things you can own? What if 101 would make you truly happy? What if it's 500? I get the point, to live with as few things as necessary, but it seems like self denial for the sake of self denial. "Gee, I'd love to get that [insert object here], but I already have 100 things."

IMO, its more about making smart choices about what you buy and keep. I have lots of stuff, but have gotten rid of lots of stuff too. I miss little of what I gave away, but much of the stuff I still have makes me genuinely happy. Downsizing is one thing, but resolving to own no more than 100 things is...sorry, my mom told me if i can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.:angel:

And I just have to ask, how do you count? Is your house one thing or do you have to count the stuff you put in it separately, like light or plumbing fixtures, carpet and cabinets? Do necessary items count, like toothbrushes, toilet paper or medicine? Do you have to count all 52 cards in a deck or just the deck? I'm being kind of serious and I think the questions just kind of point to the arbitrary nature of the exercise. How about living with just enough stuff to make you happy and no more. Then realize that the amount can change as you change. Then lighten up a little.:flowers:

I'm with ya. What's the point of setting an arbitrary number of things you can own? What if 101 would make you truly happy? What if it's 500? I get the point, to live with as few things as necessary, but it seems like self denial for the sake of self denial. "Gee, I'd love to get that [insert object here], but I already have 100 things."

Yes, it seems like going from one form of slavery to another.

Got 'too much' stuff, get rid of what you don't value. Simple. Who the heck needs someone to tell them what the 'right' number of things is? You're an adult now, you get to decide.

-ERD50

Shingles on the roof, do they count? How about the number of bricks in the wall?

Toilet, has a number of parts, unless one goes with the traditional Japanese hole in the floor. Still need the the wash basin and ladle to pour water on hands aka Chodzu-Bachi, oh yeah and it is is outdoors.

And I just have to ask, how do you count? Is your house one thing or do you have to count the stuff you put in it separately, like light or plumbing fixtures, carpet and cabinets? Do necessary items count, like toothbrushes, toilet paper or medicine? Do you have to count all 52 cards in a deck or just the deck? I'm being kind of serious and I think the questions just kind of point to the arbitrary nature of the exercise. How about living with just enough stuff to make you happy and no more. Then realize that the amount can change as you change. Then lighten up a little.:flowers:

I actually did some reading on this. And, lots of people who do this either make exceptions for certain things or limit to items that are personally, individually owned. So, for someone in a family, items that are "family" items aren't part of the 100.

Also some people who do this group things. So, underwear is one item collectively.

That makes a bit more sense. However, I don't see the magic in 100 or 500. I think the concept of not having things that contribute to your happiness in life or contribute to doing something useful is a good idea.

I've gotten rids of lots of stuff as we are working on downsizing and I haven't missed anything yet. (For me the most difficult things to get rid of are things we already bought that we spent money for and that we might need in the future. If I was buying I wouldn't buy the item now...but if I throw it out I'll be irritated if a year from now I need it and have to go buy one).

Hey, I think I will be able to stay under 100. Stuff in the closet 1, stuff in the kitchen 2, stuff in the rest of the house 3, stuff in the garage 4, WOW, I may even be able to keep it under 5!

Back
Top Bottom