anybody have a drone??

If someone wants to make a ton of $, invent a drone with a chainsaw on it. Then I could trim limbs that I can't get at otherwise.

If someone wants to make a ton of $, invent a drone with a chainsaw on it. Then I could trim limbs that I can't get at otherwise.
For sure. What could go wrong?

I really wanted the Air 2S but I was afraid to spend that much money on my first drone. I figure I’m going to crash mine at least a few times so better to crash a $439 drone than a $999 drone.

Did you buy the DJI Care Refresh? Any accidents yet? Does the obstacle avoidance make a big difference when flying in dense areas?

The Air 2S is my first drone. I took into consideration that had I bought a drone 8 years ago, I would have paid much more for far less capability. I have not crashed it yet but I also have not flown it more than 100 yards from me and I only had it a couple of months. I have been flying over open air space over hills and valleys so I don't know how well the obstacle avoidance works. I wanted a higher quality camera for 4K aerial shots to edit with my ground footage. I have the one year plan. I figured that I would most likely crash it during my first year.

I’ve owned a drone for about a year or two.

More and more restrictions are being imposed.

You can’t fly in any sizeable city in the world though obviously if you search you will see videos of drones fly8ng around Big Ben, Eiffel Tower and other famous landmarks.

Try that now and you’d get in big trouble.

So you have to look for natural landscapes way out of cities, hope that it’s not in some national park or wildlife reserve.

You can obviously get some stunning images and videos if you do.

I have a neighbor that got into drones and has done commercial work. He has several of them. Yesterday, he had one he was playing with in front of his house and I asked him if it was a DJI and I think he said it was a Mavic Pro, but not positive. My dog was quite entertained. I've thought about getting a drone, but want to pursue RC plane flying instead which is probably more challenging to learn, although I recall seeing a clip on TV about drone racing which looked interesting. Not sure what makes a racing drone vs these recreational drones used for photography.

PS - Walt, I am still debating whether to get a cheap pc to run RealFlight 9.5 as a first step. I did join AMA and have submitted my application to a local club.

DJI consumer drones, it's not easy to crash. If you don't do anything with the controller, it will hover in place after launch, assuming its getting good GPS reception.

I think the racing drones take off GPS control so you may have to constantly move forward.

Main focus of DJI drones is photos and video so they're more flying camera platforms than aircraft.

I don't find it particularly "fun" to just fly my Mini 2 just for the sake of flying. My main reason for using it is to take aerial footage of things that without a drone I would never be able to view.

The Mini 2 has some built in autopilot flights that will fly around me in a circle or boomerang pattern. This creates some amazing videos when I'm in a particularly scenic area. The preprogrammed flights produce a much more professional looking video than when I try to fly the drone myself while recording.

I have sent it out over the ocean and harbor many times and it has never failed to return to home. I flew it in heavy winds yesterday and while I got a warning about excessive wind it still produced very stable video and returned home without any issues. There are some interesting YouTube videos of people flying the Mini 2 by the ocean during hurricane level winds and it has no problem handling itself. It really is impressive for a $439 device.

DJI owners think they are flying the drone but it really flies itself using gps and other sensors.

Racing or freestyle drones have none of those auto features and actually let you fly using control skills. Rebuilding is part of that hobby

This thread is really helpful for a drone rookie like me. I have one on my shopping list. Thanks!

PS - Walt, I am still debating whether to get a cheap pc to run RealFlight 9.5 as a first step. I did join AMA and have submitted my application to a local club.

That's a good start, joining the local club. Go by the flying site on a weekend day in nice weather and you'll probably find a few people there, depending on the size of the club. Or if a meeting is scheduled soon be sure to go to that. Most clubs welcome new members, and if not, find another club. Ask what is the most-used brand of radio gear, and buy that. This way you'll have a ready source of advice in using the gear from local sources.

For example, I have been using Spektrum radios for several years and can answer any questions a new user might have. If they bought Taranis or Frsky, I cannot help except perhaps in the most general terms because I don't use those systems.

A guy I am instructing now just bought a new airplane and he will need to install a radio receiver because the airplane doesn't come with one (many don't). I'll be able to help him install and program it because I use the same system and am very familiar with it. But any brand other than Spektrum and he'd be on his own - all I could do is say "good luck".

DJI owners think they are flying the drone but it really flies itself using gps and other sensors.

Racing or freestyle drones have none of those auto features and actually let you fly using control skills. Rebuilding is part of that hobby

Indeed, you have to enjoy spending more time soldering, repairing and building, than flying, which is ideal for many.

Although flying a real FPV is a unique experience, I am now appreciating mastering the photography aspect of my DJI Mini 2 and never crashing or losing it.

It would have to be pretty large to handle that payload and then too large to avoid tangling in branches, trees being the arch enemy of drones I am guessing.

Can you burn through a 5” limb with a laser cutter?

I seem to recall seeing on YouTube maybe a flame throwing drone being used on a wasp nest.

I have been using my drone to record some pickleball games so that I can watch the games afterward to learn where I need to improve. I always get permission from the other three players on the court with me before I record and I hover the drone above the court so that it is only recording on my court.

Today the woman who teaches classes for the City called the City on me to complain that I’m flying a drone over the courts. I’ve reviewed the local ordinances regarding any drone restrictions and as far as I can tell I’m not violating any ordinances. I was not flying it over any other people nor recording anyone at the park other than my own group. This woman looks for things to complain about so I’m not surprised. But I’m curious if anyone can think of a reason why I would not be allowed to fly the drone over my own court to record my game.

It was pretty slow today so there was nobody playing on the two adjacent courts to me and the lesson was three courts away. The drone was hovering just slightly behind my court over some grass in an open park that was empty at the time.

This woman looks for things to complain about so I’m not surprised. But I’m curious if anyone can think of a reason why I would not be allowed to fly the drone over my own court to record my game.

This is why ordinances get passed prohibiting drones (quadcopters) and R/C vehicles in general. But just because she's generally a pain in the behind does not mean she's wrong.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it sounds like what you're doing is setting the drone to hover in one area and take video while you're playing a game.

There are several good reasons you should not be allowed to "set and forget" a drone while you play a game. That relies on the systems of your drone to keep doing what they're supposed to be doing, and that's not safe - someone needs to be watching it every minute and not when they have a moment to spare from their game. Batteries and and radio systems can and do fail - someone should be controlling it to steer it away from people as much as can be done. And you're probably relying on hobby-grade equipment to do this. That's unwise to start with. Even multi-million dollar military stuff has failures - why do you think hobby grade stuff won't?

You say that you're not flying it over people - that's a good start. But while it is unattended while you're playing, is it close enough to get to people in the event of a systems failure? If so, the practice is unsafe. Don't assume that if it fails it will fall straight down - that may or may not happen and no one can predict what will happen.

I agree that a drone should not be unattended (hands off the controller) while flying. Any rules you look at expect the pilot to be incontrol at all times.

I would also say that a systems failure (broken prop, battery fail etc) would make it uncontrollable anyway and they do fall out of the sky.

But it is amazing that you can have a camera on a sky hook and it all works most of the time.

Over all sounds like you are doing nothin unsafe given the auto features of todays machines. I would keep going.

I picked up the drone hobby a couple years ago, and decided to pursue my FAA Part 107 license this year. Recently purchased the DJI Air 2S. Just find it relaxing. I enjoy watching/editing the videos and pictures.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Good feedback Walt!

The drone does hover in place quite well. It stays directly above my court and never moves. I always look for a volunteer to hold the controller and monitor the drone but there are times when I’ve had to put the controller down by the edge of the court and monitor it myself.

The drone weights less than 249 grams (8.4 ounces) so it is exempt from FAA registration requirements. I’ve looked into the Part 107 license and may pursue it at some point. But since I’m only flying it as a hobby and I’m not selling or even publicly posting any videos it’s not a requirement. I did pass the FAA Trust Exam which is now required even for hobby drone flying.

It will be interesting to see what if anything the City raises an issue with. I’ll update if I hear anything from them.

Drones now have automated modes, such as tracking a subject, where it flies and films a person or a car that's moving.

They also have modes where they circle around a subject and filming, zooming in and out.

But there are drone laws, especially in other countries, which specifically prohibit the use of automated modes because you're not allowed to overfly people, period.

But there are drone laws, especially in other countries, which specifically prohibit the use of automated modes because you're not allowed to overfly people, period.

Canada in particular has really gone "over the top" with the regulations. While I'm all for safely of operations it reminds me of the laws passed when "horseless carriages" were first invented requiring a guy waving a red flag to run in front of it warning people.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Good feedback Walt!

The drone does hover in place quite well. It stays directly above my court and never moves. I always look for a volunteer to hold the controller and monitor the drone but there are times when I’ve had to put the controller down by the edge of the court and monitor it myself.

The drone weights less than 249 grams (8.4 ounces) so it is exempt from FAA registration requirements. I’ve looked into the Part 107 license and may pursue it at some point. But since I’m only flying it as a hobby and I’m not selling or even publicly posting any videos it’s not a requirement. I did pass the FAA Trust Exam which is now required even for hobby drone flying.

It will be interesting to see what if anything the City raises an issue with. I’ll update if I hear anything from them.

If the City stops you because of the complainer.
Get a tripod and a large movie camera and set it up on the side of your court pointing towards where the lady does lessons.
It's legal for you to film yourself, and out in public she cannot expect privacy if she gets in the background.
(besides the camera doesn't even have to work).
When she complains, you can tell her, you had to because the drone is not allowed :cool:

Back
Top Bottom