1099 nec and form 1096

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I read that if you have to pay a contractor more than 600 dollars in a year. You should send him a 1099-nec and a form 1096. I see that these forms are available online but it tells you not to use the front copy because it is not scanable, but to get an original hardcopy and send it in for both of these. has anyone had this that they had to do and where did you get the forms, because they are not downloadable and fillable online. thanks for any information..

frank

Are you running a business and filing Schedule C? 1099-NEC is for businesses paying non-employee contractors more than $600.

If that is your situation, then you order the forms from the IRS website.

You can also use an online service like tax1099.com to e-file 1099s. A major advantage: no need to prepare and mail in a 1096. The e-file deadline for some 1099s is the end of January.

Background: I used Intuit's standalone 1099 e-file service until a couple of years ago when they shut it down. The past two years I've used tax1099.com. There is a learning curve associated with tax1099 but nevertheless I recommend it especially if you'll be filing more 1099s in future tax years. :popcorn:

+1 for tax1099.com -- it's like $3 to file one 1099.

1099-NECs are required for payments for services performed for a trade or business by people [but not corporations] not treated as its employees

you can order the forms at irs.gov/employerforms They'll arrive in 6-10days. Or, as others indicated, use an online service. Depends on how many you have to do, but I only have a few, so it is no big deal to work the paper forms. Of course, this assumes that you actually have asked your contractor for a W4 form, so you have the information you need to file the 1096/1099. If they didn't give you a valid address and tax id then you can't file those forms. The process you are supposed to follow in THAT case is quite convoluted and cumbersome, so you may consider just ignoring the whole thing. It's not the Right or LEGAL thing to do, but....

Last edited:
I filed one with tax1099. It was kind of confusing but it worked out in the end. I think the cost to file was 2.90 per 1099nec. thanks for the information on how to find this site.

frank

Back
Top Bottom