anybody have a drone??

I have no issue with the shotgun as the shot poses little danger when they fall
Depends on shot size... I've been rained on (hit) by falling bird shot pellets a number of times while dove/quail hunting and it didn't bother me, but I don't think I'd want to be hit by ~00 buck shot pellets falling at terminal velocity.

Last edited:
I don’t find flying for the sake of flying that much fun but I love taking aerial videos using the drone.
Controlling a DJI is more about fiddling with the software than flying, in my experience. Once I ran through all it could do, like circling and re-flying through defined way points, and automatic return to home landing, then I was kind of done with it.

If you want to have fun flying, you can't have any "smarts"; just you and the sticks. And, for me, I don't want to crash anything expensive, so I fly the Syma X5C for flying fun. I've lost a few in trees because if they loose signal, they just keep flying the same way they were flying, but they're only $20. The other fun flying is FPV, where you wear goggles that put you in the pilot's seat. I've never tried FPV, but might do that at some point.

And I’m planning on using the drone while on our sailboat to film the boat while in motion.
That's something I've done...but a houseboat. Nothing new if stationary, but when underway, it's a bit more of a challenge because return to home landing would gently put the vehicle in the drink, hehehe. Landing on something stationary is pretty easy with the DJI's because the technology keeps them from moving horizontally, and all you do is reduce power. Landing on a boat in motion is a more advanced topic. I had a pretty big area, on the top of a houseboat, and I was nervous as hell because we were doing about 15mph. You're essentially matching speed with the boat in order to land. One stationary landing exercise you might practice grabbing the landing gear (decisively) and cutting power. Then, you don't have to be quite as precise when bringing it back to the boat (you walk under it and grab it).

Last edited:
I really enjoy watching the Tesla Fremont Factory drone flyovers.

Last edited:
I had a pretty big area, on the top of a houseboat, and I was nervous as hell because we were doing about 15mph. You're essentially matching speed with the boat in order to land.

I'd think that would be pretty easy since you're moving at the same rate as the houseboat, no different than landing in a little bit of a wind. I've grabbed a (very small) R/C glider out of the air when landing and it wasn't all that difficult.

But then R/C airplanes are different, they usually don't have the self-stabilization gyros that quadcopters do. And even if they do have gyros, they cannot be as stable or you wouldn't be able to control it.

I'd think that would be pretty easy since you're moving at the same rate as the houseboat, no different than landing in a little bit of a wind.
With the DJI's, releasing the stick (allowing it to spring back to center) stops the drone dead, irrespective of the wind. So a pilot who "knows how to land" one of these GPS controlled vehicles knows that they move it over the patch of ground they want to land on, release the stick. It says there, no matter what the wind does. Then they pull on the other stick (reduce power) until it hits the ground. Super easy. You position, and then reduce power. With the boat in motion landing, you've got to actively fly in the direction of the boat while reducing power. If you let that stick spring to the center, the vehicle stops, while the boat moves on. It's not the first thing I'd try with my new multi-hundred dollar toy.

What I probably should have done was launch from the moving boat, keeping the vehicle stationary with respect to the boat, but just a few feet off the boat's roof. Then, anything unexpected happens, cut power. This way, I could get the feel of it without being over water. But I wasn't that smart. I launched from a stationary boat, took some cool shots of the boat underway, then, with low battery of course, had to catch up to the boat and land. Meanwhile, the boat pilot was indoors, and oblivious to my squirming.

Last edited:
I have a DJI mavic mini. I fly it quite a bit. Mostly on our 5 acres. Frequent Roof/ gutter inspections. And I’ve taken it elsewhere. I make movies, some of which I put on YouTube. I use Apple iMovie to create the videos from drone footage.

I have a DJI Spark. LOTS of fun. Well designed drone and the return home function works well. Small, and I have been up in very rural areas over 700' where I can neither hear nor see it. Caught some awesome shots.

I got a DJI Mavic Mini for Christmas. One test flight, one inspection of a leaky spot on our chimney, and one race around the backyard. Definitely nice for roof inspections, but not as fun to fly as an RC plane.

Same here, but I've done about 5 flights to check gutters. You've seen the ads saying how climbing on a ladder is more dangerous than ___ well you fill in the blank. DS and DW have been co-opted by the ads so got me the DJI Mini II. Came with 3 batteries that last about 10-15 minutes and plenty of time to check my gutters and easier than getting ladder out and up to check. Still need ladder when cleaning or repairs or painting is required but the DJI means I check more often. Still at $450 kind of steep.

I have had quite a few over the years (Perhaps 15 to 20), but the novelty has worn off. I am looking for the ideal drone for ME now I know a lot about them. But there are none that fit the bill. I used to build my own, but the interest in that has gone too. The DJI Mavic Air (Older One) was the closest that fit my Criteria. I do not need or want top notch camera resolution, I DEFINATELY do NOT want WiFi Radio Connection. If the Air has Occusync 2.4 Radio control I would still have it. WiFi is too Flakey and has too many range issues for my liking. My Opinion of course YMMV.

Here's a drone video of a water tower with a ah, leak.

Author is a little bit of a jokester, YMMV :)

A friend of mine lived in the Santa Cruz mountains and couldn't sell his home until the realtor took drone videos and posted them. The home easily sold after that. I've thought about getting a small one for purpose of inspecting our roof, gutters, and the tops of our own trees. But as a hobby-probably I would lose interest quickly.

But if you really get into it, there is always drone racing.

MultiGP puts on mostly outdoor events apparently. But the Drone Racing League seems to do better videos of their races. there is the Drone Racing League:

Not for me, but very cool to check out.

I've been consifdering getting a Mavic Air 2. Does anyone have experience with it?

I have a Mavic Air 2. My first drone, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I crashed it into a tree early on, stupidly in sport mode with the crash avoidance disabled. At least that gave me the opportunity to rebuild it (had some frame damage, so everything needed to be taken apart).

The 4K seems great, and the 1080p quick shot modes are very nice. We primarily use it from our sailboat, so I added a float assembly in case I need to water land (haven't yet). Easy enough to catch from the air on the boat, by the floats, although we haven't tried that in anything over a 5 knot wind.

Attachments

• DJI_0025.00_03_00_10.Still001t.png
    DJI_0025.00_03_00_10.Still001t.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
I noticed the other day that there seems to be a lot of growing interest in drones.

frank

Noticed the other day? This has been going on for the past decade. Right now the trend has been to ban drones from state and national parks, city centers, and over many private homes. We have a DJI AIR 2S. It has a 1" sensor camera for better quality 4K footage. If you want to save a couple of hundred dollars, there is the DJI Mavic Air 2. If money is no object, go for the DJI Inspire 2.

It's also worth noting that this test requirement came into effect this month for recreational flyers in the US. TRUST is an impossible-to-fail online test producing a self-printed certificate you are supposed to be able to show on demand. Highly unlikely to be an issue unless there is an incident, but it doesn't take long to do.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/knowledge_test_updates/

Noticed the other day? This has been going on for the past decade. Right now the trend has been to ban drones from state and national parks, city centers, and over many private homes. We have a DJI AIR 2S. It has a 1" sensor camera for better quality 4K footage. If you want to save a couple of hundred dollars, there is the DJI Mavic Air 2. If money is no object, go for the DJI Inspire 2.

Yep, I have a buddy that used to fly a lot, because of all the bans and regulations, he now mostly just takes a small drone through the trees in his yard.

We have a DJI AIR 2S. It has a 1" sensor camera for better quality 4K footage. If you want to save a couple of hundred dollars, there is the DJI Mavic Air 2. If money is no object, go for the DJI Inspire 2.

I really wanted the Air 2S but I was afraid to spend that much money on my first drone. I figure I’m going to crash mine at least a few times so better to crash a $439 drone than a $999 drone.

Did you buy the DJI Care Refresh? Any accidents yet? Does the obstacle avoidance make a big difference when flying in dense areas?

With the DJI's, releasing the stick (allowing it to spring back to center) stops the drone dead, irrespective of the wind. So a pilot who "knows how to land" one of these GPS controlled vehicles knows that they move it over the patch of ground they want to land on, release the stick. It says there, no matter what the wind does. Then they pull on the other stick (reduce power) until it hits the ground. Super easy.

Ah, I get it. A whole different kind of flying than an airplane. With helicopters (which I can fly too, but not well) and fixed-wing airplanes, if you release the stick(s) bad things happen, and quickly.

^ but things are a lot different with gps off. As inside of a building. I was flying my old phantom 2 through a corporate jet hangar. I had gps turned off because we couldn’t get gps indoors anyway.

Releasing the stick indoors while drone moving makes the drone slow down and coast to a stop. Doesn’t stop immediately like outside with GPS signal.

F had a cheap drone that his sister gave him for Christmas a few years ago. He played with it for a while, but being a lower quality drone he found that any attempts to control it were fairly aggravating. I think he would have liked a higher quality drone, though. Anyway, this spring he gave it to Good Will.

With the DJI's, releasing the stick (allowing it to spring back to center) stops the drone dead, irrespective of the wind. .

This is just the most amazing thing about these drones. I have flown on some 10+ mph wind days, up very high, and can hear that little spark fighting the wind above.... but it is just "parked" in the sky when your hands are off the sticks, doesn't get blown out of position, AND the camera image is rock steady as this thing battles the wind up above. Amazing tech.

I was able to do a complete roof inspection on my house this afternoon and got some very sharp photos. Only one cracked tile after 20 years so I’m pretty happy.

The drone has handled high winds at the beach with no issue at all. It’s super precise with its movements. I really am enjoying learning how to fly it and use it for aerial photography. I highly recommend it as a post retirement hobby. It’s an amazing amount of tech for the price. Only $439 at Costco with a 90 day return if you are not satisfied with it.

I’m not supposed to fly over people or personal property. Obviously that’s not something I can 100% control when it’s up in the air but in general I am not supposed to fly in populated areas. But flying along the beach or out in an open park is no problem.

I used the drone this morning to inspect my roof. I haven’t seen the roof since the house was built 20 years ago. I did not see any damage.

I know realtors are using drones to get aerial shots of the properties they have listed for sale. And I’m planning on using the drone while on our sailboat to film the boat while in motion.

There's a floating drone that can even right itself if it gets upside down in the water. It's bright orange. I can't remember the name. It seems perfect for boating, fishing, and water sports. Oh, it has the ability to drop lures offshore to catch the big uns'.

Back
Top Bottom