Anybody know what this tool is?

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Here's a thing from the bottom of a box at an estate sale. For scale, those are 12 inch tiles.

Attachments

• 2016-11-01 14.24.14.jpg
    2016-11-01 14.24.14.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 105
Here's another shot of the business end

Attachments

• 2016-11-01 14.26.55.jpg
    2016-11-01 14.26.55.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 56
Maybe a blacksmiths for rolling hot round metal? I know a bs I'll ask.

It looks vaguely similar to this tool. Bolt's Antique Tool Museum - TLC0026-TLC0050

I wonder if it might be the one they are describing in the comments having to deal with horseshoeing?

omni

The one you attached I recognize. Farriers use them to give horse pedicures.;)

The one the OP attached looks different, more space between the tangs. I'm guessing it's a black smith tool but I don't recognize it.

First guess: to compress car intake/exhaust valve springs during assembly. Compress the spring, remove the keeper, stand back.
Second guess: to put corks in a bottle.

No idea. What other kinds of tools were in the box?

Could be a set of glaziers pliers for snapping scored glass - but the center jaw should have a raised area to put on the score line.

My nephew is saying it's probably something that pushes a pin in/out. That flat disk area... sounds reasonable

Nothing related. What's a fanuten? Is that a spelling issue?

Fanuten's are on the same shelf as the Finnigan's and next to the buckets of steam.

"finnigan pin
a whoseitwhatsit used by mechanics in order to screw with common lay people
go to the parts house and get a distributor cap and a finnigan pin"

Just a little mechanics humor.

My nephew is saying it's probably something that pushes a pin in/out. That flat disk area... sounds reasonable
And it looks like the "hooks" might grab onto something cylindrical (a piece of bar stock, etc). I suppose this thing could be used to grab onto an axle and press in a pin (or start it out--with other "followers" needed to press it out all the way). When the handles are as close together as possible, what was the position of the flat area relative to the hooks?
Or, it could just be another tool in the dentist Szell's tray. "Is it safe?"

Last edited:
It looks like it would push a roll pin into a cylindrical object. Seems very specialized - maybe used in manufacturing?

It looks like it would push a roll pin into a cylindrical object. Seems very specialized - maybe used in manufacturing?
That sounds about right...press a roll pin into a shaft or something.

I still think it looks like a tool to compress a spring, like on an intake/exhaust valve from an engine.

Since I don't have experience with engine valves, I can't picture how that would work. I have encountered axles with roll-pins, so that's easier to picture.

But in the case of the engine valves, would those two "hooks" wrap around the cam shaft?

Since I don't have experience with engine valves, I can't picture how that would work. I have encountered axles with roll-pins, so that's easier to picture.

But in the case of the engine valves, would those two "hooks" wrap around the cam shaft?
Usually a valve spring compressor has a Y shaped end so the keepers can be accessed in the center.

Usually a valve spring compressor has a Y shaped end so the keepers can be accessed in the center.
I just did some youtubing of "valve spring compressor" and it looks like this tool, if it is a valve spring compressor, "should" have a hole in the disk so that once the spring is compressed, the keepers may be accessed. I suppose the engine design could be that the keepers were somehow on the other side of the spring, but I'm not sure how that would work. In all of the videos that I saw, the cam shaft was already removed, so my theory of having those hooks loop over the cam shaft doesn't hold water.

Back
Top Bottom