Bathroom remodel, shower size?

folivier

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our condo has a jetted tub and a separate shower. We never use a tub so thinking of removing it then adding cabinets for more linen storage and replacing floor with either tile or LVT. We have enough extra tile from the kitchen and dining area a PO did.
At our last house we had the builder do this before we bought it since house wasn't completed inside. It worked out great for us.
So our options at the condo are to remove tub, keep existing shower, then add cabinets where the tub was. That would make the floor space much larger. Right now there isn't a good place for the weight scale.
Another option is to put a much larger shower where the tub is then remove existing shower and build cabinets there. Tub is 42" x 72". There is a non-load bearing wall separating the shower and tub where the water pipe comes down from the attic. Removing that and moving it wouldn't be difficult. I'm thinking of a 42" x 60" shower would be a good size, possibly a bit shorter on the 60" size depending on shower pan sizes available.
Note: DW does not want a tiled shower.
Anyway a resident in our condo complex is a general contractor came and gave us a quote of $12,000 for this project. Still waiting on the breakdown.
Just for kicks I had a local "bath remodeler" give us a quote. Their price for just removing shower and installing a new shower using Jacuzzi components was $20,000. His company will not do the floor, won't remove the existing shower or build cabinets. This is 1 installer doing this in 1 day.
Think I'll go with the $12,000 quote. This won't be done until later this year and we still have to look at a few neighbors to see what they've done. A neighbor is doing his bathroom himself with a cabinet guy doing the cabinets and countertop and his costs are $6000 total. Food for thought.
What are your thoughts on shower size? We want to plan for if one of us is in a wheelchair for that access.

BTW now all my ads on Facebook are from bathroom remodelers, sigh.

What are your thoughts on shower size? We want to plan for if one of us is in a wheelchair for that access.
BTW now all my ads on Facebook are from bathroom remodelers, sigh
We know your pain... your dealing with just a bathroom, we have been doing a whole house.
We went with a 60 inch low step shower with sliding doors to give room to maneuver around. I currently need to use a shower chair, and hate that a WC may again be in my future. Plumbed in with a rain shower head with a separate hand wand. Recommend you put nailing blocks in so you can securely mount grab bars. We ordered a shower kit from Home Depot, pan doors and wall paneling for $1200, The diverter was around $140.

My thoughts are about potential resell.

If that is an eventual concern - I would not just replace tub with cabinets.
My advice would be to enlarge shower, and make it very nice.

We are redoing our DD & DSIL bathroom that has a smallish shower and tub - and we’re doing a larger shower.

Never really thought about it until DM needed it for her husband. Of little means & space, we at least got a "spin & slide" chair for him. Seems like it's working for now. Otherwise, they need a bigger home to get what they really need and they don't want to move...

We remodeled and took out the old 1952 tub and made a bigger walk in shower and it's a really good move. The tile floors are not an issue with us, but may be different if on a second floor. I like the metal pans they make with maybe a 3" lip personally. Low maintenance.

I suspect you'll need to get a small lip to pass code, but there may be some exclusion for wheel chair access.

Future purchases of your home may want a tub to bathe kids, etc. I personally would love to get rid of mine but I can't afford it right now.

Since it's a Condo, not a SFH, I think the shower only is more palatable. And do you plan to sell anytime soon? If staying put for 10 years, build for you, not for some potential buyer.

We've been looking at houses recently and it is apalling the number of homes that have big tubs and showers in the master bathroom. Many have been renovated to be just a large walk-in shower which is very nice.

I think I would leave the wall where it is, remove the 42"x72" jacuzzi tub and replace it with a 42"x72" walk-in shower and then replace the existing shower with cabinets to add storage.

I'm guessing that the $12k quote will be less if you don't move the wall.

I don't think not having a tub is an impediment to a future sale and have read that somewhere as well. Outdated thinking.

DW insisted on a jetted tub in our downstairs bathroom when we did our rebuild in 2011... I think we've used it 10 times since and all other times as a shower.

Last edited:
We've been looking at houses recently and it is apalling the number of homes that have big tubs and showers in the master bathroom. Many have been renovated to be just a large walk-in shower which is very nice.

I think I would leave the wall where it is, remove the 42"x72" jacuzzi tub and replace it with a 42"x72" walk-in shower and then replace the existing shower with cabinets to add storage.

I'm guessing that the $12k quote will be less if you don't move the wall.

I don't hink not having a tub is an impediment to a future sale and have read that somewhere as well. Outdated thinking.

DW insisted on a jetted tub in our downstairs bathroom when we did our rebuild in 2011... I think we've used it 10 times since and all other times as a shower.
Agree with all this. In fact I think a nicely done large walk in shower with some nice new cabinetry would be more valuable for resale than a tub not less valuable.

Agree with all this. In fact I think a nicely done large walk in shower with some nice new cabinetry would be more valuable for resale than a tub not less valuable.

That and look at all the commercials for converting a tub into a shower. I get it that someone with a small child may prefer a tub but I don't think it will hurt your resale value. It just means the people that will look at your home will be fewer. That doesn't mean that there won't be a large number who still will.

Not worried about resale, our last house sold with no problem with no tub, there was a tub in the other bathroom.
We do have a tub in the other bathroom in the condo.
DW does not like tile, here in Louisiana everything will mold. We're thinking of either acrylic panels or cultured marble. Either one would be smooth easy to clean surfaces and we could probably match our countertops.
We're hoping this is our last home so should be here for years.

Not worried about resale, our last house sold with no problem with no tub, there was a tub in the other bathroom.
We do have a tub in the other bathroom in the condo.
DW does not like tile, here in Louisiana everything will mold. We're thinking of either acrylic panels or cultured marble. Either one would be smooth easy to clean surfaces and we could probably match our countertops.
We're hoping this is our last home so should be here for years.
Swanstone makes nice solid surface wall panels for showers . Similar to what Corian used to be for countertops. Can do each wall in one piece with no seams(except corners) or grout.

We spent $50k to remodel two bathrooms last spring. $12k doesn't sound so bad. We've had Swanstone shower pan and walls in our master bathroom for 25 years now and it has held up very well. We've had to re-glue the corner trim pieces once in that time.

We did a major Master Bath remodel last spring. We removed the smallish tub and the 'phone booth' size shower stall and replaced with a large walk-in shower. The upstairs bathroom has a tub, should any new owner insists on soaking.

One thing I will recommend on all bathroom remodel jobs -- Get your Glass Shop involved in the design phase as early as possible. Tempered Glass has gone way up in price lately. A good Glass Man can save you plenty of dough.

Agree on the 12K price being reasonable.
Also good points on converting to a shower in a condo. I don't picture little children in the tub when i think of a condo.
My bath plan is a schluter Kerdi trench drain that will take large format tile on a single plane floor. The same giant tile will go on the wall. Give that a look, OP. Very minimal grout lines to deal with.
Here is the 36x55 pan.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schluter-Kerdi-Shower-LT-LTS-36-in-x-55-in-Perimeter-Linear-Drain-Shower-Tray-KSLT915-1395S/309468547?g_store=&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D23F-023_014_FLOOR_TOOLS-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-2996251-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-FLR_TOOLS_PMax_G&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D23F-023_014_FLOOR_TOOLS-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-2996251-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-FLR_TOOLS_PMax_G-71700000102945947--&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAzc2tBhA6EiwArv-i6TVH8TijJlFubvDcsBjaZKsZxVwWFQeWpQLcIQRbztmwNsnp2BSa7xoCKqUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If she really does not want any seams underfoot, you can opt for a Kohler pan or similar.
You will find a lot of 60" products out there.
I am putting together a 48x48 and a half to get a 4'x6' walk in shower with no threshhold.
You need a 2" catch above the drain level to meet code.

These numbers make me feel better about spending $30k ish on a 20' x 24' steel garage. No interior finish. :LOL:

A friend of mine did a steam shower and had the walls made with a product that was impregnated with silver ion to prevent mold. Example on the jacuzzi site though I’m pretty sure she (her contractor) got them elsewhere.

https://jacuzzibathremodel.com/showers/

The $20k quote for just the shower was Jacuzzi with silver ions. His samples were nice, thickness was more than most other acrylic panels.

I have built 5 full bathrooms. Some comments from my experience:
* Remodel the entire bathroom if possible. Sheetrocks are cheap. This may allow you to reconfigure everything (electric, plumbing, etc.)
* If you don't have a budget for the whole bath then at least gut out walls around old shower and tub. You may need framing repair behind them.
* I would highly consider walk-in shower if doing a full bath remodel.
* I only pay for materials but if I had to charge labor then shower-tub only remodel would run you about 10-12K range. Full bath would be in range of 15K-20K depending on the add -ons.
* Add blockings at 36" height (or whatever ADA requires for grab bars) all around the shower area.
* If you build tiled shower then be sure to use a waterproofing membrane product like Kerdi on walls and especially pan. This may dictate using "Kerdi drain" which is my favorite.
* Make sure they use green sheetrock. A lot of contractors cut corners in this area.

Attachments

• bath.jpg
    bath.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
... What are your thoughts on shower size? We want to plan for if one of us is in a wheelchair for that access. ...
Our new lake home was designed as "ADA Lite" with all passage and entrance doors 36" wide. Everything is on one level except an upstairs guest suite. Outside sidewalks and attached garage involve no steps; just minimal thresholds.

The walk-in shower in our master bedroom has no sill or ridge at the entrance. The entrance is 31" wide and the floor dimensions are 40" x 76" There is a conventional shower with a single-lever flow and temp control. There is also a hand shower on a separate control. Both can be used simultaneously with good flow as they are piped 3/4" vs the usual 1/2"

The vertical bar of the hand shower is an ADA grab bar. There is a horizontal 48" grab bar as well, the latter being color matched to the tile. Very unobtrusive.

HTH

Last edited:
When we remodeled our Florida condo in 2018, we remodeled the entire bathroom. We removed the bathtub and by removing everything down to the studs, they found some room to increase the width of the walk-in shower a few inches. By taking a foot of our large closet, we rearranged the double vanity and had room to add cabinets and a stacked full size washer & dryer. We used tile with minimal grout lines and some mildew resistant grout. Six years now and we haven’t had any problem.
In our shower, we put in two shower heads opposite each other. One fixed and one hand held on a sliding rod. We also added four body sprays, two on each side. Money well spent!
Our vanity and cabinets were custom made with deep drawers. One shallow drawer on top of each side with a cut out for plumbing. Great for razor, toothpaste and other small items. The sinks are a bit shallower than normal, but it has never been a problem.

We have been looking at a similar remodel to the OP, and our problem is no one wants to even look at doing it unless we spend at least $30K. Ridiculous!

Back
Top Bottom