Anyone had their roof done lately?

farmerEd

Full time employment: Posting here.
Looking for recent estimates and roof sizes if you have had your roofs done lately (asphalt shingles).

Just had Home Depot here to get a first estimate on the cost (strip 2 layers of asphalt, all new ridge vents, flashing, 2 chimneys, 5000 SF roof...for just over $40K. (or just over $700/square plus gutters).

Of course they won't break it down for you (itemize it).

I had ballparked it would cost $15K and maybe upto $20K to get the job done....guess I better get out my knee pads, ibuphrofen and go buy a nail gun....

Yikes...anyone care to share their recent experiences?

PS: I started with HD only because I knew I could get them out here fast for a first estimate. DOubtful I will actually use them.

OldMcDonald said:
Looking for recent estimates and roof sizes if you have had your roofs done lately (asphalt shingles).
Just had Home Depot here to get a first estimate on the cost (strip 2 layers of asphalt, all new ridge vents, flashing, 2 chimneys, 5000 SF roof...for just over $40K. (or just over $700/square plus gutters).
Geez, we did about 2000 sq ft in cedar shakes back in 1997 and we thought that was expensive at $22K.

Ridge vents are a great idea. And in hot areas, don't forget the radiant foil insulation and the solar-powered exhaust fans for the attics & high hot areas!

It isn't very recent, but I did replace my asphalt shingle roof in 2002 due to one of those aforementioned hailstorms.

5,200 sq. ft., remove one layer of shingles, no new flashing, no ridge vents, additional $1,000 charge for steep roof, 30yr shingles - total $8,100. The job was done by one of the largest local roofing companies in the area.

We just put on a new roof last year.   30-year "architectural" shingles (a little more expensive than 3-tab). New flashing and ridge vents.  About 2200 sq ft.   Put on over the old 3-tab.   $3500.

My brother used to be a roofer. It's been quite awhile now (maybe 15 years) but the prices he used to quote were around

$50-$100/square for asphault shingle tiles
$200-$300 for shake

So even with lots of inflation $700/square for asphault seems very high.

As always I'd get a number of quotes and go with the one that can do a good job for not too much.

Also, roofing prices are somewhat seasonal. They are relatively cheap in the summer and go (through the roof) after the first real rainstorm.

I don't know where you live, but have you considered a steel roof? I have seen an increasing number of them in my area. And it should have a longevity advantage over shingles... just a thought.

Yeah, just put a metal roof on wife's uncle's new house. Go with steel if you never want to roof your house again.

From http://www.askthebuilder.com/B237_Metal_Roofing_-_Cost_Examples.shtml:

Price ranges from $3.25-$4.50 / sq. ft.

Don't know what the uncle paid for material (labor was free). My BIL, his nephew, works at Menards, so the material was discounted. Took us about 8 hrs. to install it on a single story, 4/12 pitch, 28'x72' building.

-CC

Yes...I personally like the look of steel roofs, and they have the added advantage of not needing to strip (and dispose of) the two layers of shingles on there already since the steel doesn't add much weight.

YIKES! someone's trying to rip you!!!

For example, a square of simple 25 yr asphalt shingles is about 100 bucks. So that's 5k in materials.

And 35k for labor and vents? NO WAY

get another estimate

I had HD do mine. I figured that I would get them to show up and do the work, and if I had a problem I could always call since I figured they will be around for a while.

50 year guaranteed fiberglass architectural shingles with labor warranty, they stripped the old shingles, did a bit of repair work, put down the ice dam rubber and installed ridge vents and the new roof.

Cost me $10K. My house is a ranch, nothing fancy, about 26x52 feet. Not sure what the roof square footage is.

I put a steel roof on a building a few years back.  I'm sold.  Usually about 2-3 times the price of asphalt shingles though.  It might be somewhat cheaper if you have a straightforward ranch-type roof. 

I did some investigating beforehand and got a steel product called "galv-alum"  (sp?).  It's steel coated with aluminum instead of tin.  (It's also painted.)  When it gets scratched by something it is self-healing, so it shouldn't rust.  Worth looking into if you go for steel. 

I have a 3300 sq ft ranch w/ hip roof, 7-8 years ago they took off the old and replaced w/ 30 year asphalt shingles....$7,500. Good luck.

We had a metal roof ("Galvalum" is the trade name of the material they used) put on our house in 2000.  For a 2,800 sq ft house it cost about 16K.  I hope we never have to worry about the roof again.

The costs here don't seem to make any sense at all!

We have prices to reshingle a roof from $3,500 to $40,000!

Are we comparing Apples to Apples?

On a home with an 1800 sq. ft. footprint how many sq. feet is the roof usually. - What is a approximate cost to re-shingle this roof? And is there such a thing as a 30 year Shingle? :confused:

Cut-Throat said:
Are we comparing Apples to Apples? 

No, we're comparing Home Depot to independent contractors.   I only got a quote from Home Depot once.   It was for new windows, and their bid was 4 times the bid of an independent contractor.   Home Depot is trying to make fat margins from lazy consumers, IMHO.   They hire their own sales reps to pitch the jobs.   Lowes seems to have a much more reasonable model.   They basically pass through the business to a local contractor (and take a small cut), but they stick with their core business of selling supplies.

Had my roof done two months ago, 2000 sq ft. 30 yr. architectural asphault shingles, removed two layers of old shingles, replaced 16 sheets of plywood, new attic vent fan and two copper chimney flashings - $6300.

kjpliny said:
Had my roof done two months ago, 2000 sq ft. 30 yr. architectural asphault shingles, removed two layers of old shingles, replaced 16 sheets of plywood, new attic vent fan and two copper chimney flashings - $6300.

What is the Square foot - foot print of your house?

Just had mine done this spring. Hip roof - about 28 squares. Cost was $19K for cedar shingles. Included tearing off the old cedar shake roof, 30# felt roofing paper, all new copper flashings, drip edges, ice and water shield, and two copper vents on the rear. Roofer broke down the job as $10K for labor and $9K for materials.

Cut-Throat said:
What is the Square foot - foot print of your house?

Just so you-all know, roofers quote roofs by squares. A square is 100 square feet of roof.

However you just don't divide the house square footage by 100 to get the roof size. You have to add in garages and account for the pitch of the roof. Steep roofs need more material and cost more, as you would expect.

A good ballpark number is to take the house square footage and add 50 percent then divide by 100 to get an estimate of the number of squares that you'll need. Your roofsize will vary but that number will get you started.

Then multiply that number by a factor like $150/square to get ballpark costs. The cost factor will be lower for the cheapest asphault shingles and higher for manufactured/synthetic tiles/composites. Real wood shake is the most expensive. There are some other products out there that go for more but that will get you started.

So for fun I wood guess that Asphault is around $150 a square, Synthetic tiles/composites maybe $250-$350 a square and shake maybe $400-$500 a square. I haven't priced anything in a long time so I'm kind of guessing here. Things like the price of oil influence roofing prices.

When you get a quote ask what they charge to roof a square. That number is something that you can shop around. There will be some other costs but they usually won't be all that much compared to the roof-area price.

OK, I just had a new roof put on this month. 49 squares, $13,000. 30 yr top of the line asphalt. Tore off one asphalt roof and the underlying cedar shingle roof, and re-decked with radiant barrier plywood (OSB actually). 4 new turbine roof vents. Simple hip roof, one big L-shape, low grade. New flashing, valleys, plumbing vents, etc. I had several bids, but they varied a lot. This is in Dallas. The roofing business is slow because no hail storms all spring or summer. I think the labor cost was at least doubled, maybe tripled, by the tear offs and re-decking, just from watching them and estimating how much time was spent on what. Crew of 5-6 working dawn to dusk for 4 days.

MasterBlaster said:
A good ballpark number is to take the house square footage and add 50 percent then divide by 100 to get an estimate of the number of squares that you'll need. Your roofsize will vary but that number will get you started.

In my case: 2,750 sf house + 450 sf porches = 3,200 sf x 1.5= 4,800 / 100 = 48 squares

The insurance co. measured 51.67 squares (steep roof, oversized garage)

Pretty close, Blaster. ;)

REWahoo! said:
In my case:  2,750 sf house + 450 sf porches = 3,200 sf x 1.5= 4,800 / 100 = 48 squares

The insurance co. measured 51.67 squares (steep roof, oversized garage)

OK so we take your roof size (51.67 squares) and divide that into the price you paid in 2002 ($8100).

I get $156 per  square (or so) for asphault shingles. That's a datapoint for the group. Add in a little for inflation since 02' and take off the grand if your roof isn't so steep. That's probably a wash then in price. My estimate of ~$150/square was pretty close then.

Maybe you can save some if you go with a smaller company. However get some referals as small companies can have widely differing quality.

OldMcDonald said:

Of course they won't break it down for you (itemize it).

I had ballparked it would cost $15K and maybe upto $20K to get the job done....guess I better get out my knee pads, ibuphrofen and go buy a nail gun....

Yikes...anyone care to share their recent experiences?

PS: I started with HD only because I knew I could get them out here fast for a first estimate. DOubtful I will actually use them.
I am a roofing contractor and have 25 years of experience. Home Depot uses subcontractors and marks up the 'installed' price by 25-35% minimum. Where are you located? I would be glad to help you find a good contractor. Here in Southern California the roof you are describing would cost about $3-4 per square foot depending on the type of shingles and pitch of the roof etc..

Back
Top Bottom