Anyone Recognize This Statue

V this statue is known colloquially as "The Tart With The Cart", "The Dish With The Fish", "The Trollop With The Scallop(s)", "The Dolly With the Trolley", and "The Flirt in the Skirt". The statue portrays Molly as a busty young woman in seventeenth-century dress. Her low-cut dress and large breasts were justified on the grounds that as "women breastfed publicly in Molly's time, breasts were popped out all over the place."
Yes, in the land of Yeats and Heaney language is often taken to new levels. :)

Amaze your friends....
Drag the pic you want to identify to the box on Google Images. My guess - 99% accurate.

Even easier than dragging the photo: right click and then click on "search this image with google images"

Very good Michael!

Molly is commemorated in a statue designed by Jeanne Rynhart ...

I snapped a typical tourist photo of that statue when I was there, and as serendipity would have it, a very cute young local walked by, the stereotypical Irish red-head, and blocked much of the statue just as I snapped.

When I saw the picture later (film days) I thought she represented Ireland about as well as the statue, so the juxtaposition of that snapshot always makes me smile.

-ERD50

Even easier than dragging the photo: right click and then click on "search this image with google images"

I did try the image in Google Images and it did not give me a match. I was hoping that would work because my FIL has never really used any computers and he has been amazed at all the information and trivia we've been able to find using an Ipad. We use it when he asks questions or asks us to fill in some details on a story- would have been pretty impressive if the search had found the right statue!

One other funny thing about this image, as I scanned it in, it seemed familiar to me but having not spent that much time in New England, I figured I must have seen it in a book or something. Turns out, there is another casting of this same statue in a park in Kansas City, MO where I grew up. I'm guessing now that I must have seen it there many years ago.

Thanks again and enjoy the thread!

For 300 points, what and where is this statue?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 21
Little girl sitting on a railing in Budapest

Partly correct. Yes, it is in Budapest, but no, it's not a little girl, but Peter Pan.

Wow, I stand corrected! Thank you. I learn something new here every time.

Here's an easy one:

Oddly, I don't recall seeing that statue when I was in Budapest. I will need to look through my photos.

Another 'give-away' in the Oscar Peterson statue, they got the piano right! Not many people played a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand, and of course no one played it like Oscar! You can just make out "Bosendorfer" in the image, but the real 'tell' is the keyboard - a full 8 octaves C-C. Ninety-seven keys versus the usual 88.

I heard Oscar live in the 80's, almost by accident. Friends invited us to go to Ravinia with them, lawn seats, for Sarah Vaughn and Count Basie. The Count was ill, and Oscar filled in. How I wish we had pavilion seats! But it was still remarkable - after a bit of Satin Doll, he started an improv that went so far that you forgot what the tune was, and then, maybe 15 minutes later - BANG! - da-da-da - da-daa, daa-da-da, he was right back on Satin Doll like he never left. I guess you had to be there, but it just blew me away.

-ERD50

Ummm...
Queen Maeve in Burlington Road - full frontal nudity in the middle of Dublin. At a giant size. The massive statue of legendary Connacht Queen Maeve in front of Connaught House (an office complex near the Grand Canal, using the old version of spelling) may well be the most sexually explicit monument in Dublin. Or, come to that, all Ireland. From XXL-long legs to rounded buttocks, from bare breasts to a (thankfully thick) thatch of pubic hair.

23 points for Meadbh:

And some additional historical information: (23 points for redduck).

The modern pronunciation of this name is 'Mave' to rhyme with 'save', but in ancient Irish it may have been pronounced 'made-b'.
Queen Maedhbh is a mythological figure from the old tales of Ireland. She was Queen of Connaught, the westernmost of the five provinces of Ireland3. She was a warrior queen, and led her people into battle. The most famous story about Maedhbh is how she was annoyed to find that her husband owned a better bull than she did, so she decided to lead a raid to steal the best bull in Ireland, and in doing so started a war between Ulster and the other four provinces. The hero Cú chulainn was given the task of single-handedly defending Ulster against the rest of Ireland because the other men of Ulster had been cursed.
This huge statue depicts Maedhbh as a giant woman with a spear in one hand, the head of a bull in the other and a crow on her shoulder. The statue is naked to represent her enormous sexual appetite.

Queen Medb of Roscommon

Who and where is this statue for 200 points.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 18
Dublin, St Patricks Cathedral; Sir Benjamin

Back
Top Bottom