Electric bicycle tax credit question?

Venturer

Full time employment: Posting here.
WE had our taxes prepared yesterday at the local AARP Tax aide site. While she was going thru the papers,we were answering questions. We happened to mention buying our electric bikes last summer to carry with us camping. She ask if we were going to get the "electric tax credit",I was suprised and confused. I have heard people can get some rebate or credit for electric cars like Tesla of course but is it true we could get something for an $800.00 bike to ride around the campground. Anyone know for sure and how would I go about it if so. Thanks for any info!

WE had our taxes prepared yesterday at the local AARP Tax aide site. While she was going thru the papers,we were answering questions. We happened to mention buying our electric bikes last summer to carry with us camping. She ask if we were going to get the "electric tax credit",I was suprised and confused. I have heard people can get some rebate or credit for electric cars like Tesla of course but is it true we could get something for an $800.00 bike to ride around the campground. Anyone know for sure and how would I go about it if so. Thanks for any info!

I'm interested.

A golf cart would count by that definition.

This got cut from the Build Back Better act. But check for state specific incentives.

This got cut from the Build Back Better act. But check for state specific incentives.

Thanks to all who responded. I sent an email to Lectric company and ask them. Their response was that there wasn't any Federal money that they were aware of but that possibly some states had a program. I then checked with Ga. and found that there is nothing availible here so I guess the lady was wrong. In my researching I did see some mentions of some type of 2 wheel electric bicycles was supposedly going to be availible in 2021,22,and 23 but did not come to fruition. Ohh well nothing gained & nothing lost but a little time on the internet!

I got an $1100 Colorado rebate on the e-bike (Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0) I bought this winter. Between the rebate and the winter sale, I got it for just about half off the normal full $4000 retail. Now I just need some warm weather to ride it in…

BTW if you’re planning to buy an ebike, I have some advice… I strongly recommend you get a bike with a “torque sensing” drive. Most cheaper ebikes have what’s called cadence sensing. That means that as soon as you start turning the pedals, it slams into 100% power for whatever speed you’ve set it to. I really despise that jerky behavior, and it caused me to wreck the ebike I was riding five years ago. You also tend to not get much exercise, but just ride the bike like an electric scooter.

A torque sensor bike senses how hard you’re pedaling, and adds pedaling effort proportional to what you’re doing. It feels very natural. It just feels like you’re stronger. Which at our age is a nice self delusion. :)

Last edited:
I got an $1100 Colorado rebate on the e-bike (Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0) I bought this winter. Between the rebate and the winter sale, I got it for just about half off the normal full $4000 retail. Now I just need some warm weather to ride it in…

Congratulations,If it had of been availible in Ga. we would of been able to get $800.00 for 2 bikes but Gov.Kemp said no go, LOL!:LOL:

BTW if you’re planning to buy an ebike, I have some advice… I strongly recommend you get a bike with a “torque sensing” drive. Most cheaper ebikes have what’s called cadence sensing. That means that as soon as you start turning the pedals, it slams into 100% power for whatever speed you’ve set it to. I really despise that jerky behavior, and it caused me to wreck the ebike I was riding five years ago. You also tend to not get much exercise, but just ride the bike like an electric scooter.
That certainly doesn't match my experience with my bike. And that matches up with some misleading and/or misinformation I've read elsewhere about cadence sensor ebikes. They aren't all the same.

I have a cadence sensor ebike. It does not have "speed settings". It has assist levels, and these are associated with power levels (watts), which I can program for each, and it is NOT associated with any speed (mph), like a cruise control. Speed only comes into factor when hitting the legal 28 mph assist limit, where it cuts the assist power.

It also only applies the amount of power selected by the assist level. So when I go into assist level 1, that's about 50 watts. It absolutely does not go to 100% power, which is over 1000 watts with a fully charged battery in the highest assist level when set to 100% (it's customizable for each level on my ebike). There's no jerking to speak of when I'm riding. And there's a power ramp up to also reduce any jerkiness if the assist level is set for high power. So, that's been a non-issue.

And that part about not getting much exercise is a laugh. It sounds like this had something to do with your specific ebike, or you didn't know how to use assist levels, or maybe, as with some crappy models, it actually assisted based on speed instead of power. On my cadence sensor ebike, I use a low assist level, sometimes 0, often 1 to 2, and I pedal with force to maintain speed and keep my heart rate up, working up a sweat. In a nutshell, I can get exactly as much exercise as I want to. And it's helped keep me in shape just as with my standard bike in the years prior to that. I never ride it leisurely or "like a scooter". :LOL:

My ebike is a Ride1Up 700 series which has a cadence sensor and current/power based assist, not a speed / cruise control type of assist.

Last edited:
Our local Texas municipality offers a rebate on ebikes. It's 50% of the cost, up to $1000. Unfortunately, I bought my ebike last June. The program started in October. You have to sign an affidavit agreeing to: (1) charge the battery during off-peak hours (10pm - 7am), and (2) reduce vehicle miles by using the ebike whenever practical.

Back
Top Bottom