Anyone Recognize This Statue

davemartin88

Full time employment: Posting here.
My father in law is staying with us and while going through some old pictures, we came across this one- we know the people but not sure where it was taken, most likely in New England. Anyone have an idea where this statue is or was? Thanks!

img_1497029_0_e1e55c3ee488db0bb993a19935e298bf.jpg

When the question came up the other day at our house, I knew right where I was going to find the answer!

Amaze your friends....
Drag the pic you want to identify to the box on Google Images. My guess - 99% accurate.

Try it with this picture.

Attachments

• Hail_To_The_Sunrise_Statue.JPG
    Hail_To_The_Sunrise_Statue.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I knew that one! I have relatives in the area and we have visited that spot together.

OK, for 200 points, what and where is this statue?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 23
...Anyone have an idea where this statue is or was? Thanks!

img_1497577_0_e1e55c3ee488db0bb993a19935e298bf.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's a statue of REWahoo. I think the statue is in Lithuania.
For extra credit: The person in the hat might be me, but, I'm not completely certain of that.

Last edited:
Subject matter makes me think Ellis Island.

Bingo! The young lady is Annie Moore, the very first immigrant at Ellis Island. The statue is in Cobh (formerly known as Queenstown), Ireland, which was a departure port for many emigrant ships in the 19th century. It was also the last port of call of the Titanic. It was also where the survivors of the sinking of the Lusitania were taken. The statue dates from 1993 and apparently there is a similar one on Ellis Island.

Statue of Annie Moore (C) Peter Craine :: Geograph Ireland

Last edited:
Grosse Isle

Bingo! The young lady is Annie Moore, the very first immigrant at Ellis Island. The statue is in Cobh (formerly known as Queenstown), Ireland, which was a departure port for many emigrant ships in the 19th century. It was also the last port of call of the Titanic. It was also where the survivors of the sinking of the Lusitania were taken. The statue dates from 1993 and apparently there is a similar one on Ellis Island.

Meadbh have you been to the Irish Famine memorial? Since returning from our Ireland trip, started reading The Great Hunger about the Irish immigration, what a sad story.

Meadbh have you been to the Irish Famine memorial? Since returning from our Ireland trip, started reading The Great Hunger about the Irish immigration, what a sad story.

Which one? There are more than 100 worldwide.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_memorials_to_the_Great_Famine

I have been to a number of Famine mass graves, and also to the Heritage Centre at Skibbereen, Co. Cork, where there is an excellent exhibit. Of course I studied the history of the Famine in detail in school. I don't think one can understand Irish people without some historical background.

Anyhow, sorry for the thread hijack. Back to our regularly scheduled statues!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'm Lithuanian and I don't recall that being a statue of REWahoo. It could be if he was there before the Russians took the country over.

Well, I think he might have been there at the time Genghis Khan invaded the territory.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1411769014.751081.jpg

How about this one? I will make it easy: it's also in Ireland. Whom does it portray, and by what other name(s) is the statue known?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Very good Michael!

Molly is commemorated in a statue designed by Jeanne Rynhart, erected to celebrate the city's first millennium in 1988. Originally placed at the bottom of Grafton Street in Dublin, this statue is known colloquially as "The Tart With The Cart", "The Dish With The Fish", "The Trollop With The Scallop(s)", "The Dolly With the Trolley", and "The Flirt in the Skirt". The statue portrays Molly as a busty young woman in seventeenth-century dress. Her low-cut dress and large breasts were justified on the grounds that as "women breastfed publicly in Molly's time, breasts were popped out all over the place."

(from Wikipedia)

Hmmm... and your avatar is a 1981 one pound note from Ireland, currently worth about $50... as a collectible.

Back
Top Bottom