anyone use netflix streaming?

Why not just buy a BD player that has streaming built in? They are about the same price as a streaming player, but you get blu-ray for free :) I've seen them below $100 at Walmart. I'm using a Sony bdp-s370, it was $130 a while ago.

As for Netflix, I'm using the "1 DVD out at-a-time" with Blu-Ray for $11.99 a month. If the movie isn't available for streaming, I get the dvd or BD. If I return it on Thursday I have the next dvd in house by Saturday. They ship amazingly fast.
Streaming quality has been quite good for me. On occasion it pauses, but luckily not that often. I'm quite happy with it.

PS. The Netflix BD that I have at home now is "Inside Job". Great documentary!

I agree sometimes the Netflix CDs come damaged, but I still enjoy getting them in the letter box... My Roku, on the other hand, has never worked.

I suppose it varies, but DW has a steady stream of DVDs thru Netflix, and we rarely have one damaged - maybe 2 over the past two years? They will send a replacement before receiving the disk back. And I recall this was a concern for me, as probably 75% of the DVDs we got from the library would skip - really frustrating when you invest 45 minutes in a movie, and then can't finish it. Hasn't been a problem for us with Netflix.

My Roku, on the other hand, has never worked.

I don't know why that would be. We have two, they both work great after a short set up. Plus the Wii, which streams Netflix after requesting their disk (might be an online upgrade now).

Why not just buy a BD player that has streaming built in?

That's an option. However, from what I've read, the 'instant replay' feature on the Roku was much better than any alternatives, and that is important to me (if I miss what someone said, I want to repeat and hear it, without a 'buffering' delay).

Also, if you don't really need DVD capability, the Roku is a smaller box. That's nice in the kitchen, DW wouldn't want a DVD player sitting there, but the Roku is very small - tucks right under the TV and you don't even see it.

-ERD50

I bought the box, plugged it in, followed the instructions. A message on my TV screen says "Please enter your security code" or something similar. I gave up - sorry I am not an IT person. Will call the cable people when time permits.... Thank you for your offer to help, MichaelB.
Have you done any troubleshooting? Perhaps someone here can help.

obgyn65 said:
I bought the box, plugged it in, followed the instructions. A message on my TV screen says "Please enter your security code" or something similar. I gave up - sorry I am not an IT person. Will call the cable people when time permits.... Thank you for your offer to help, MichaelB.

I'd google the exact message it gave you.. I bet it's an easy fix. I doubt your cable company will help you, afaik that's a third party device they won't support.

easy to set up

We have netflix streaming to two tv's in our home. Both of them to Blu Ray DVD players. One netflix account will let you set up at 5 locations.

Between netflix and Comcast On-demand movies, my kids are usually satisfied. Otherwise, they go to the movie rental place, the old fashinoned way.

IIRC, yes, when you start it the first time it needs to authorize an account. It's really very easy, (again, going by memory...) - you go to the Roku website and enter the code. I think that was it.

Yep..

How do I set up my Roku player? : Featured Questions
Step 4: Let’s complete the guided setup! Just follow the on-screen instructions.

After the restart, you will be asked to select your time zone.
Change to your correct time zone then click “done”.

The next screen will display a unique code to link your Roku player.

Open a browser session on a computer.

Go to www.roku.com/link.

Enter the code displayed on the Roku and TV.

Upon linking, your Roku player will sync to your Roku account and be ready for play.

-ERD50

We dropped all our premium Dish channels a couple of years ago and went with Netflix. We were due to upgrade our DVD player so went with a wireless streaming Blueray model. It works quite well for Netflix and Utube and will also connect to the house network to stream pictures to the TV (HD).

Like the others have said...the streaming selection is a bit thin if you watch a lot of movies which we don't. We got the Bluray disk subscription and so we get the Blueray version of the DVDs when they are available. One thing we have found is that the Blueray disks are far less forgiving of scratches etc. and we have had maybe 5 movies in the past 8 months or so that would not play properly. Netflix replaced the disks and sometimes the new one ran OK and sometimes it did not. We always make sure the DVD player software is up to date as this can lead to read errors on some disks too.

Thank you, ERD50. I will try this today.
IIRC, yes, when you start it the first time it needs to authorize an account. It's really very easy, (again, going by memory...) - you go to the Roku website and enter the code. I think that was it.

To activate the Roku you may need two codes. The first is the password to the wireless router. That's the same password yuor computer needs to access the wifi. Once that has been entered, the roku links with the router, goes online, and then gives you an authorization code for netflix. You log into your netflix account. Click "your account;', then "Activate a netflix ready device'. Enter the code from your roku, and hopefully, it accepts and you're up and running.

Back
Top Bottom