Laguna Woods Village, CA or Leisure World (Seal Beach) Anyone?

Aiming_4_55

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I read thru this old thread, but wanted recent experience or feedback.
- https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/laguna-woods-leisure-world-anyone-71908.html

Well, DW and I are going to tour the Laguna Woods Village and Leisure World (Seal Beach, CA) 55+ communities in the near future. Anyone move-in (buy or rent) in the last few years or considering so in the near future? Any pros and cons to share?

It's appealing for various reasons, i.e. cost, safe community, activities, location, etc. along with the personal preferences that may not be appealing. LWV appeals more as it allows rental in the event we decide to move out or expire. However, LW is appealing as it advertises a community woodshop.

Even though I've targeted age 55 to retire, FI for a few years now, I 'm coasting for a few more years until I know what my kids end up doing. (Yes, I know the kids would not be allowed to live in the communities).

We lived fairly close to LW for many years and have friends in the area who looked at homes there. They elected not to move forward because:
- Most of the homes there are small and outdated
- Even if you remodel the home, it will still have 8 ft ceilings
- If you move in anywhere near 55, most of your neighbors will be of your parents' generation. Locals refer to LW as "Seizure World" - unkind, but a reflection of the average age there.

On a positive note, the area around LW is very nice. Los Alamitos has a lot of great healthcare and some very good restaurants, and you aren't too far from downtown Seal Beach which is very quaint and cute. Also Belmont Shore in Long Beach is close by.

I know someone else who had parents in Laguna Woods. I think it's more upscale than LW and quite a bit more expensive. Probably also more isolated from the growing homeless population in So CA because it's inland Orange County.

Thanks Scuba. DW is young looking so she will be the daughter of someone at the community. When we visit, I probably will feel the same, too young, but the reality is, I'm getting older, at 55 this year. Someone confirmed that LWV has a wood working shop, so that helps. Without visiting, I like LW as it's midpoint for LAX and SNA airports and midpoint'ish for LA and San Diego. LWV is closer to my new/last employer and at first glance, with 2 -3 years, the incentive plan would payoff this 2nd home, a lock and go place.

I can't really add much data but we visited LWV when my wife's half-sister and her husband still lived there. They were there for many years and they really enjoyed it. Both have passed since. We only visited personally for a week or two.

Last edited:
8 sets of my relatives live or have lived in Seal Beach Leisure World over the past 40 years. It’s great for a home base if you travel a lot.

I’d never consider living there full time because I want more variety in my neighborhood. The lack of walkable retail is a definite downside.

Upside is the affordable price- but you have to pay cash. It’s a co-op but functionally pretty much works like condos. There are 8 different “mutuals” with their own budgets and upkeep priorities. It’s important to have a good realtor who knows the place and can advise on the difference between mutuals.

Back
Top Bottom