Are People Really Extra Busy During the Holidays?

I feel peace and calm. Gone is the “mystery “ of who gets the days off approved. Being retired I can drop normal activities to cherish the extra. Like having a tree decorated by little grandkids.

I truly long for a Christmas season that I could enjoy and not see it as something I have to "just get through".

It's just become weeks of to-do checklists and unfortunately doing holiday stuff like going out to see lights or a walk in the woods is never on that list.

As I write this, I realize that I've got to make some changes. I'm actually going to see my Dr today as my blood pressure has risen lately.

We love Christmas and bringing in the new year. I love watching small children open presents. Are we really extra busy? Of course we are. We get extra busy at times throughout the year and recover just fine.

Last edited:
I truly long for a Christmas season that I could enjoy and not see it as something I have to "just get through".

It's just become weeks of to-do checklists and unfortunately doing holiday stuff like going out to see lights or a walk in the woods is never on that list.

As I write this, I realize that I've got to make some changes. I'm actually going to see my Dr today as my blood pressure has risen lately.

Hey Marko,
Read your tag line. "living well is the best revenge". You have to stay healthy to live well. :cool:

bump up that walk to see Christmas lights on the checklist.

another thing I do with my holiday list, I ask myself what will happen if I don't do an "item". lol, if it ain't catastrophic I try not to stress about it.

Hey Marko,
Read your tag line. "living well is the best revenge". You have to stay healthy to live well. :cool:

bump up that walk to see Christmas lights on the checklist.

another thing I do with my holiday list, I ask myself what will happen if I don't do an "item". lol, if it ain't catastrophic I try not to stress about it.

Thanks bclover! This thread actually has me rethinking things. Seriously.

I need to make some changes; perhaps stop 'making lists'. I'm a worrier by nature but coming to realize that as I get older I just need to let things go.

I buy presents for my nephews and have Amazon gift wrap and deliver them for me. Takes about 10 minutes and I generally do that just after Thanksgiving.

I normally go have Chinese food for lunch with a friend (tradition we've been doing since our Navy days), but this year I'm going on vacation instead (diving off a liveaboard boat in the Bahamas).

I also have to get the decorations out of the attic at my parents house so they can decorate their house (and generally help put up a few of them). That takes me maybe a couple hours... and is done late November.

So I'm not really busy generally.

Since my SO's son took over Christmas Eve I am not crazy busy and I like it . We are having a few friends for dinner Christmas Day .I did decorate but not nearly as much as I used to and I shop online for several people .I 'm enjoying this slower holiday pace after many frantic years.

It's been slow here, sort of in between big projects, and the weather turned a little earlier than expected. But as everyone said, with no little kids and no w*rk, no reason for stress.

Thinking back though, it was pretty bad. It's a tough time of year for working parents, especially single parents.

I'm glad "Elf on a Shelf" wasn't a thing back when my kids were little.

Having to come up with a new and imaginative setting for that stupid thing EVERY night, on top of all the other stressors, would have done me in!

No not busy at all due to the weather. In fact this is the first time that I've had nothing to do for weeks on end. I even made homemade marshmallows yesterday. That's pitiful. I've decided that next year I'll take a part time job Nov Dec.

Sounds like you could also sign up for a last minute cruise, or plan a trip overseas, as it's amazing how much time is involved in detailing out a trip overseas. :facepalm:

Around these parts, I would say YES!!! The traffic is exponentially worse and we see some of our neighbors come and go 5 or more times during the day. I have done my best to stay out of the madness, but I did swing by Target this AM and was taken back by HOW MANY people were there at 10 AM on a Monday. Retiree "drive time" is on hold until January 8th around here!

I'm not religious so I just order a few gifts online to be sent to close relatives who celebrate Xmas. So I basically just duck the holidays.

But I've discovered a Saturday night in late January is a great time to hostess a cocktail party.

In early Jan, everyone is sick of rich food and sweets. Plus they are on a diet.

By late Jan, people are tired of "lean and mean" eating and they are longing for social events again.

I enjoyably spend lots of time making hand crafted invitations and cooking for weeks for the event. I encourage guests to create and bring limericks around a theme, which is always great fun.

I love January.

I buy presents for my nephews and have Amazon gift wrap and deliver them for me. Takes about 10 minutes and I generally do that just after Thanksgiving.

I normally go have Chinese food for lunch with a friend (tradition we've been doing since our Navy days), but this year I'm going on vacation instead (diving off a liveaboard boat in the Bahamas).

I also have to get the decorations out of the attic at my parents house so they can decorate their house (and generally help put up a few of them). That takes me maybe a couple hours... and is done late November.

So I'm not really busy generally.

Enjoy your dive trip! [emoji225][emoji227]

Any of my busyness is self imposed. It is my choice to determine how busy I want to be.

The people I get presents for, or send cards to, are people I want to, not need to, so it does not become a busy chore.

The level of decorations I choose to put up are by my choice, at my level of enjoyment, and not to impress the neighbors or visitors.

I enjoy filling out cards and wrapping gifts, and it is something I can multi-task with watching sports, so no lost time there.

DW and I choose our level of socialization, and at this stage in our lives it makes it more enjoyable than busy.

Sometimes folks drive themselves to insane levels of activity, as if to impress others or somehow make up for the rest of the year... we choose not to do so.

When my kids were at home I was super busy with baking, cooking, buying gifts, taking them to events, activities, etc. About 10 years ago we quit exchanging gifts with our friends and the older relatives have all died. WE do not have any grandchildren. Xmas eve I will take my son and DIL out to a nice restaurant. On Xmas day I will cook for my son, step-son and a Jewish friend. I quit sending cards about 10 years ago and my xmas decorations only take up one small box so pretty quick to put up. One of my sons is arriving on the 29th and he has already put in his orders for special meals for me to cook.

It's just my wife and I except this year some of the family will be over for a Christmas dinner of Gumbo and Spare Ribs. I'll put on some Glenn Miller and Bing Crosby Christmas music (what I listened to as a child and enjoy remembering Christmas Past and my parents) and relax. My wife and I decided that we don't need to exchange gifts. Instead we will go on a cruise in early Jan. since the departure is only a couple of hours south. We plan on staying on the ship, relax in the hot tubs and steam rooms and enjoying a few books while the other passengers are touring the ports and getting a sunburn to take back north.

No stress here.

Cheers!

I never understood why some people do not get off at the port and sightsee.

We have been to many remote places in the world over the years exploring out of the way locations often backpacking and camping which is how we liked to travel. Age and ability are now creeping in and limiting these activities. We have also taken cruises in the Caribbean and been to all the ports in the area a number of times and enjoyed the convenience of cruising as a way to visit Mayan ruins. A couple of times we brought multiple large suitcases full of school supplies and made prior arrangement to visit villages in need that were not on the typical tourist routes. Other than that many of the ports are artificially created by the cruise industry and simply junk tourists shopping areas and bars of which we have no interest. Since we live at a beautiful uncrowded beach in Fl sunbathing and swimming in the ocean is not a novelty. That is why we are looking forward to a relaxing cruise and a ship where we can relax in the Thalassotherapy pool, steam rooms, small relaxation rooms with heated lounge chairs, read a good book or two, have a nice meal, enjoy a show, and not have to concern ourselves with daily household chores. That is why we are not planning on getting off the ship.

Cheers!

I decide how busy I want to be. Some years I get invited to other people’s Christmas dinners; this year, I am hosting, mostly because I feel like cooking some of my favourite Christmas foods. But I will keep the menu simple, do a modicum of decorating, and won’t be buying gifts. Unfortunately one of my guests has listed several food intolerances and dislikes, including cranberries!

I've often heard people say they are swamped with activities during the holidays—as if they don't have a spare minute and can't catch their breaths.

I suppose if you're working, throwing a big Christmas party, shopping in brick-and-mortar stores, sending out hundreds of cards, attending a lot of gatherings, I guess it's possible.

For Lena and me, not so much.

Are you extra busy during the holidays?

Probably the holidays have less impact than being retired. Retirement is what made me super busy.

Badger we have met people that do what you guys are doing. Since I am semi-retired when I cruise I want to see things. I don't need to just relax because since not working f.t. I am not stressed. We also met people that take the same cruises. We always take a different one so there are new things to explore. I could care less about shopping and we always book an excursion. I do love the shows and meals on cruise ships.

I have been busier this month but I love the holidays. I sent cards out, put up the tree and some decorations with the help of DH and DD, and did most of the shopping online (we don’t have too many to buy for). Neither of us have family here and most of our close friends travel over Christmas which means we stay home, relax, and enjoy the quiet and calm.

So far, yes. :) Or at least busier than usual. I didn't have time for any video games yesterday and barely had time to squeeze in a few hours with my son tonight! I only had 15 minutes to prop my feet in the hammock today! Part of our "rush" is the fact that the kids just got out of school for winter break so we're doing a bunch of fun stuff that's harder to fit in during the school week (lunch out, tennis, games, playground, etc).

We're hosting ~30 or so for Christmas at our house, so I'm doing a few DIY tasks around the house (painting ceiling, replacing light bulbs, swapping out the range hood over the stove, etc). Others in the family are doing a good deep cleaning. A few rounds of grocery shopping. The day of the big event I'll be doing a lot of cooking and setting things up. I'm looking forward to everything coming together nicely and spending time with family. And I'm looking forward to Tuesday Dec 26 when life slows down a bit. :)

Hot tubs all to ourselves. Quiet on the ship. Relaxing lunch, dinner, whatever. No need to get up early, get ready, and stand in line to disembark. And sometimes we've seen just about everything there is to see (I think all 8-9 cruises we've been on have called in Nassau).

Add to that the fact that we don't really go for the touristy excursions. Don't care to pet dolphins, nor swim with them or the sting rays. Glass bottom boats don't do much. 2 hr bus rides across an island to see something that might be cool on the other side of it don't appeal as much as relaxing in a nice place on a nice ship.

That said, we do get off the ship about 80% of the time.

Somewhat busier this year but not because of Christmas, just extra medical appointments, unfortunately.

We are going to visit grandchildren, son and DIL on Christmas Day. Presents were wrapped and I BBQ'd a couple of chickens today to take with us, but nothing too onerous. It's been too hot to want to do much anyway today.

Merry Christmas to all and have a lovely day with your family, if that is what you are planning.

Because the Christmas season aligns with the end of the year, I'm a bit busier, since it's the time to run tax software to figure what retirement accounts to pull from which might then call for a rebalance. There's also the parties from friends and clubs. And I often have a brew to take and give. So pretty much zero typical Christmas activity, but a few tangentially related activities. But other times of the year also have their respective activities, so no busier now.

Back
Top Bottom