Forum Update - We're back! Ask your questions here.

The forum should do that automatically. It 'remembers' where you left off reading. First, however - you'll need to "Mark all forums read" link at the top of the page.

When you open a thread you will be taken to the newest post that you have not yet read.

I'm SO VERY HAPPY about this! I'm a big fan of xenforo, which is on almost all the forums I use, and have been wishing for this site to update, and I'm really glad it finally did!

Biggest improvement for me will be the "Reply" and "Quote" functionality being so much better. I know I'll be more inclined to post and engage with the quoting being easier.

For folks commenting about the right sidebar width, try clicking on "Change width" at the top right under Quick Links. It got rid of some wasted space for me.

Last edited:
There is still work to be done on the forum view. You'll see an option to change font size in the next few days, updates to the Ignore forum function and a few more items. We're still messing with 1 and 0s.

Picky folks attentive folks may notice that some of the space has been removed both from posts and between posts today to address whinges about scrolling. Line height has been tightened up and the bar above each post has been thinned.

Steady progress....

For folks commenting about the right sidebar width, try clicking on "Change width" at the top right. It got rid of some wasted space for me.
That only does a little for me (FireFox on Linux). For example, I have my window opened to ~ 20" on a 24" monitor, and that sidebar takes up 4 3/4", or 5 1/4" when I click that. That's ~ 25% of the active window width for info I can get elsewhere, I don't need it taking up space on every thread.

For folks commenting about the right sidebar width, try clicking on "Change width" at the top right under Quick Links. It got rid of some wasted space for me.
LOL. I responded to a similar comment in the other thread. That function gave me about 1/2 an inch more width, and when it moved two words to the top line, it didn't change the vertical space used by the post at all. I'm not sure why the feature is there when it does so little.
Referenced Post

But it looks like more changes are coming that will help.

When I go to a thread I've been reading over a long time, it now sends me to post #1. Am I doing something wrong? I used to get sent to the last post that I had read.

I had the old forum set to 100 posts per page and most recent post at the top. Can I set this forum to that option? That avoids a lot of scrolling/paging for me.

And it seems that now, if I return to thread I've read, it take me to post#1, whereas the old forum took me to the last post I read?

So - long explanation:
..... Enforcing the same post count per page for everyone moving forward will end this link confusion. The choice of 25 posts per page was chosen to balance, site speed with members pagination choices. While you had 100 chosen (and so did I) many had 10 chosen. We picked 25 as an average and keeping in mind that larger page mean slower page loads - especially important on mobile connections.
Yes, I wish people would just post the post link, rather than the link to the 'page'. But I understand (well, sort of - if people found 100 pages too slow to load, they had the option to change it).

At any rate, if keeping it at 25 is it, then I just need to adapt. Is the other option possible - to have newest at the top?

Overall, the transition seems to be going very well. At least so far, everything seems to work, and that's a big achievement on its own, and lots of effort I assume. These things are more minor tweaks, and I do go through alot of effort on my own computer to get things set up so it's all 'comfortable' to me.

Thanks for all the efforts (and most important!), for the great results!

I just logged in for the first time. I’m on a bike and barge tour in the Netherlands. I like it so far. I was particularly glad to see that new threads are showing up in my RSS feed. The don’t show the user name but that’s not fatal and may be fixable.

I'm still having the issue of not being able to release the Alert posts in the Bell/Alert button.

I have clicked on the dot as Read I have done that same thing at the bottom of and clicked Read. I also went into preferences and unchecked all Alert choices.

What am I doing wrong.. Thank You very much.

When I open a thread and select "jump to new", I don't think it takes me to the newest post since I see that I have posted further down in the thread. Am I using "jump to new" as intended?

So far, liking it. Seems to work well with my 8" tablet.

Thanks for your hard work.

In the past day, we've been working to update the forum to a new software platform and we've been offline. Welcome back! The new forum software is called Xenforo and there are some new features and functions.

LOGIN CHANGE:
Your account can be accessed by logging in with your e-mail address or username (that displays on posts) plus the password for your account. If you are having trouble with this and can't get through the password reset process, you can click the contact link at the bottom of the page to reach out for help.

If you've set up a new account because you couldn't access your old one let us know. We can consolidate these and get you logged back into your old account.

There are many new features and I encourage you to wander around, test things out and then visit your profile and do some updating. Please keep in mind that changes and adjustments are still being made and so views will become more refined over the next few days.

Update your profile:
  • Consider uploading a new avatar (little pic next to your posts). The new site accommodates larger images and old avatars are looking a little tired. Avatars will automatically resize - choose a good one!
  • Update your signature if needed
  • Add a profile banner - larger image that displays on your profile page
Mobile viewing
The site runs well on small screens. Try it out on the road, and use your regular login - no app required. Set a bookmark for the site on mobile for fast access and look for push notifications (coming soon) to stay up to date.

Thread marking:
The forum remembers what you have already read and will display new unread threads as bolded or when you click into an ongoing thread, takes you to unread content BUT: You may need to Mark a forum "read" for this to work correctly moving forward. The conversion could not "remember" what you have already seen and so initially all threads may appear as unread. To do this, open a forum and look for the link at the top of the list of threads to "Mark Read". Alternatively, use the 'Mark Forums Read' link at the top of the page to mark all.

View attachment 50781

There are many things still being tweaked and fiddled with and you will continue to see some changes but we wanted to get back online as soon as possible - thanks in advance for your patience.

Still under construction:
New Forum 101 Thread (how to navigate the board and configure accounts)
Line spacing issues
More items as they are discovered
Smilies config

Post up if you have questions - we're all learning
Fantastic! Love the new look and features.
-Nomad

I really like the 'perhaps your question were answered in these threads'. It was! A great time saver and a nice way to use the data already on the site.

I'm still having the issue of not being able to release the Alert posts in the Bell/Alert button.

I have clicked on the dot as Read I have done that same thing at the bottom of and clicked Read. I also went into preferences and unchecked all Alert choices.

What am I doing wrong.. Thank You very much.
As far as I can tell, those alerts stay in perpetuity. Once you see them they are no longer highlighted, only the unseen ones are highlighted.

I like to open my session with "What's New", I set the URL so when I start ER.Org it jumps directly to them. This method only shows the first 10, it would be nice if it was 25. I use a PC not a phone or tablet.

Is there a way to increase the number of threads that show on the "Latest Posts" section? It now shows 10, however, the old system would let me increase the number of threads that showed there. Have I just missed where this can be done? Not the end of the world, but it would be nice. BTW, I'm using a PC with windows OS.

May thanks to those who put in all the effort I know it takes to upgrade a system!

I like to open my session with "What's New", I set the URL so when I start ER.Org it jumps directly to them. This method only shows the first 10, it would be nice if it was 25. I use a PC not a phone or tablet.

Use this link instead: New posts

If you prefer to see all threads, you can click on the little x next to "Show only: unread" in the dark blue bar just above the list. You can also change the default by using the "Filters" button on the right side of that blue bar so it will always show all threads in that view.

As far as I can tell, those alerts stay in perpetuity. Once you see them they are no longer highlighted, only the unseen ones are highlighted.
That's how mine acts. I can mark them read one at a time (black dot), all at once (Mark Read), or click on them to read them, and they are read and the little number decreases accordingly and they do not come back later as unread, but the list keeps getting longer and has remained since start-up Thursday. Idk if it'll reach a point where it starts deleting them or not. We'll see. The little numbers do indicate to me what I have not read, until I read them or make them go away. Mine seems to be working just fine.

Use this link instead: New posts

If you prefer to see all threads, you can click on the little x next to "Show only: unread" in the dark blue bar just above the list. You can also change the default by using the "Filters" button on the right side of that blue bar so it will always show all threads in that view.
Thanks, I prefer the "What's New" as it shows the latest, but not all, but that is OK.

Back
Top Bottom