Are Sticking Eggs Really an Issue?

When I first left home as an innocent, naive teen, I got a cheap used skillet at a thrift store. Eggs stuck and it drove me nuts.

Eventually I was able to afford and buy a non-stick skillet just for eggs and kept both. Using non-stick skillets I haven't had any problem with eggs sticking for the past 50+ years.

Right now I have a Circulon non-stick skillet and even with no butter or oil, all I have to do is tilt it for the eggs to slide out onto my plate. Just like a TV commercial.

When I first left home as an innocent, naive teen, I got a cheap used skillet at a thrift store. Eggs stuck and it drove me nuts.

Eventually I was able to afford and buy a non-stick skillet just for eggs and kept both. Using non-stick skillets I haven't had any problem with eggs sticking for the past 50+ years.

Right now I have a Circulon non-stick skillet and even with no butter or oil, all I have to do is tilt it for the eggs to slide out onto my plate. Just like a TV commercial.
any idea what brand?

I've been making eggs over easy using the "non-flip" method with an ice cube.

The things one learns by watching youtube videos :cool:.

Your household must take proper care the skillet. Mine has a different handle than the one in that Amazon link, but rarely gets used anyone because of the coating being damaged. I thought carbon steel would eliminate the issue with damage, but it is not as easy to cook some things with.

Attachments

• Circulon8inch_20200715.jpg
    Circulon8inch_20200715.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 22
I have many cast iron skillets, pans and pots. For over easy eggs, it's bacon at 7 on the gas stove. This is just below smoke. Pull the bacon and reduce heat to just below half on the dial. Test the pan temperature by using the metal spatula scraping the bacon remains that stick to the cast iron. When the scrapies no longer stick, the spatula will slide easy on the cast iron and now the pan is ready for the eggs. Two eggs on either side of the pan 90 degrees from the handle. The handle is a heat sink and that part of the pan is cooler, so the eggs won't be same finish if you place one there. Flip some bacon grease on the egg as it fries, turning it opque. Moving the pan while flipping bacon grease so it pools for better splash. The egg will release and start sliding around in the pan. This is the time to flip. Flip and let sit while you place bacon from paper towels where it was soaking off the grease to your plate. By this time the eggs will again slide on the cast iron pan. Remove from pan and place on the plate with the bacon and enjoy!
None of my cast iron skillets are Lodge. None have any name on them. They just have a number.

P.S. I use small curd cottage cheese in my scrambled eggs too. Makes them very fluffy.

Last edited:
Two eggs over easy flipped in my teflon pan after cooking the 2 slices (halved) of bacon. One third of bacon fat reserved for cooking the eggs.

3916342557_14a9e5bf15_o.jpg

Yes, I rock - :)

Two eggs over easy flipped in my teflon pan after cooking the 2 slices (halved) of bacon. One third of bacon fat reserved for cooking the eggs.

3916342557_14a9e5bf15_o.jpg

Yes, I rock - :)

Fairly similar to our breakfast for dinner, except substitute 2 eggs sunny side up and toast instead of a bagel. Cook the eggs in bacon grease is the best.

Sometimes I go for a half order;

3916342773_6fa135bf5e_o.jpg

Just as good, half the calories!

OK - I’m posting pics of DH’s great bacon and egg breakfasts soon!

In the meantime, check out our awesome double yolked fried eggs! Those are cooking in bacon grease. In this particular one dozen eggs, at least six had double yolks.

Attachments

• CFC79F62-5D38-43A4-89F4-1A79F3BDA479.jpg
    CFC79F62-5D38-43A4-89F4-1A79F3BDA479.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 41
Just so happens we had Breakfast for Dinner tonight.

I cook the bacon in the oven, on parchment paper, at 375F. Thick sliced takes 20-25 minutes, flipping at about 12. Perfect every time, doesn't curl up, and evenly cooked. The left overs will make BLT's tomorrow.

Of course I reserve the grease for the the eggs. I use a non-stick skillet. Broken, and over hard for DW, over easy for me.

Pecan and bacon pancakes on the side.

Our frequent bacon and eggs courtesy of DH. Have to have salsa on the eggs - it’s a Texas thang*. Eggs over easy. Avocado on the side. Yummm!

DH recently switched to a stainless steel pan. With plenty of bacon grease there is no sticking whatsoever.

*it would be Huevos Rancheros but a corn tortilla is missing from under the eggs. This is our low-carb version.

Attachments

• A8E73C8F-D248-41C0-A07C-D9B9E543708B.jpeg
    A8E73C8F-D248-41C0-A07C-D9B9E543708B.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
America's Test Kitchen just reviewed non-Teflon non-stick pans. The two best were the Greenpan Valencia Pro hard anodized nonstick frypan and the Kyocera ceramic-coated 12" nonstick frypan. The Greenpan Valencia Pro was best but the video says it was twice the price of the Kyocera. I checked Ebay for prices and I found that to not be true, so the Greenpan Valencia Pro, at about $60, seems the clear winner. Fumes from Teflon are the reason some people would want these ceramic non-stick alternatives.

I just bought a 12 inch Calphalon nonstick pan. Went for a mid range model realizing that they probably are a disposable item. We have a very nice stainless steel pan but some things are just too hard to cook in it, like eggs and potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom