Are you a regifter?

.... Here's what I really, really want:
...GPS...quote]

With no stock or interest in the company, nor no experience using a dedicated GPS neither - may i suggest you look at the Apple iphone? it adds to your monthly bills, but has GPS and or software that makes it do GPS duty, and gives you high speed internet access via 3G and all kinds of other fun toys - plus it's way more portable than a laptop, gets taken with you so you don't have to worry about someone breaking in to your car to steal it, and can even function as a phone! VERY fun and functional toy!

Achiever, that story about the pressure cooker is very funny--I hope the store is still in business!

We regifted one Christmas all at once to all the relatives and told them it was a regift party--it was a lot of fun. These included the "gift with purchase," the "office Christmas pool," stuff we had bought that we weren't able to return when it didn't work out, and other impersonal kinds of gifts.

But most of the gifts we get any more are from each other or our kids, and we wouldn't regift those (or regift to them). And I agree that most people aren't giving gifts any more. We give cash to the young people, and cash to the parents of babies, and have even stopped the grab bag.

Interestingly not giving gifts at the holidays has helped put all the emphasis on being with each other then, not on giving to each other.

Achiever, that story about the pressure cooker is very funny--I hope the store is still in business!

Unfortunately, it's not....through a series of mergers and acquisitions it's now Macy's. At the time of this story, it was a Midwest family owned store where the owners went out of their way to satisfy the customer. Now, not so sure.

Back to the original question of regifting. As a general practice, I don't regift. Like Wants to Retire, if I receive something I really don't want/need or like, it goes on the shelf and ultimately is donated to a charitable organization.

Except for one time. I received a "Veg-a-Matic" chopper from my SIL. For those of you who might be unfamiliar with this "appliance", it was one of the original Ronco gadgets sold on tv..."It slices, it dices, it makes julienne slices"...it could also sever your finger with the spring loaded guillotine blade that made short work of cutting vegetables. I know some people throught it was the greatest gadget ever made, but I thought it was just dumb.

Sooooo, when my neighbor was getting married, DH and I gave them a check rather than buying a gift...and as a gag, wrapped the check with the Veg-A-Matic. After the wedding, I noted that the check hadn't cleared the bank and when I got their thank you note, I knew why. They said they were crazy about the Veg-A-Matic, used it every day, and thought it was the best gift they received -- but they never mentioned the check. Apparently, they threw away our check with the wrapping paper. Well, since they were so thrilled with the stupid re-gift, we waited a month or so and did a stop payment on the check. Go figure.

I have never regifted. I would have a hard time giving someone something that I did not want. I know, I know that one man's junk is another man's treasure.

^^ Yeah that.

Must ask the obvious Q here: Did you reissie them a check? Are you a rechecker?

Yes, we sent them another check with a note that explained that the Veg-A-Matic wasn't really the gift. (If they weren't such great neighbors, however, I would have just let the matter drop.)

Years later, they and we still got a good laugh out of the whole episode!

Back
Top Bottom