Asteroid Alert

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
There's one headed our way. Well, at least in our general direction, +or- a couple of millimeters on the map. It is the most serious threat so far, and only 19 years away.

Mark August 26th, 2032 on your calendar, folks. Ukrainian astronomers have just detected a 1,350-foot-wide (410 meter) minor planet that’s headed our way. The impact risk is minimal, but it’s now the most serious near-term celestial threat to face our planet. Astronomers discover a massive asteroid that could hit us in 2032
It has made it to the top of the list here Current Impact Risks
More background here How serious does an asteroid threat have to be before we take action?

Looking at the bright side of things, if it does hit, those of us with riskier WR's will have made the right choice after all.:)

There will still be folks in early 2032 with OMY syndrome.

Got Asteroids?

"No, but my Dad does. Once he couldn't sit down for a week."
(Or words to that effect...)

Anybody remember what movie that's from?

Mike D.

"No, but my Dad does. Once he couldn't sit down for a week."
(Or words to that effect...)

Anybody remember what movie that's from?

Mike D.
Wasn't it National Lampoon's Vacation?

I wonder what the difference is between minor planet and massive asteroid.

Told you so...
You did, no debate there. Doesn't mean that we won't be seeing a zombie uprising before that, or as a consequence. No denying, though, that asteroid is, for now, looking more likely.

Last edited:
So many awful quotes from that movie that make me laugh:

Cousin Vicki: I'm going steady, and I French kiss.
Audrey Griswold: So? Everybody does that.
Cousin Vicki: Yeah, but Daddy says I'm the best at it.

Considering that I'll be 82 by then it's not something I'm going to invest a lot of "worry time" on. At least not until I'm 81.

Just need to make sure Washington D.C. is in the impact area....likely just repel the hell out of the rock and save us. Or.....it hits and we haven't lost anything.

Well if I only need to plan for 19 years not 45, our withdrawal rate will go up. Time to party!

Let's see, Pluto with diameter 2306 km (that is 2,306,000 meters) is too small to be a planet, but this rock with diameter 410 meters is a "minor planet"?

Some kind of journalistic license looking for attention.

Being the conservative type, I'm investing in a spacesuit and a case of fire extinguishers. Or maybe I'll invest in companies that make them, and wait 18 years before buying my own.

I won't probably even know my own name 18 years from know so worrying about an asteroid then is not an issue for me.:dance:

Hmm, I'll be 77, I may have to revise my decision on when to take SS. Might have to start a new thread....

Hmm, I'll be 77, I may have to revise my decision on when to take SS. Might have to start a new thread....

I was thinking along similar lines with the SS reset comming about the same time.
That is more than a two bird stone.

Less than half a kilometer across? Piffle. Chump change. Certainly a continent-blaster, but barely an extinction event, unless it hits an ocean. And what are the odds of that happening?

Asteroids are Natures way of asking "How's that space program coming along?"

Less than half a kilometer across? Piffle. Chump change. Certainly a continent-blaster, but barely an extinction event, unless it hits an ocean. And what are the odds of that happening?

If it hits at all, I would think there's about 70% or so chance it hits water and 30% chance of hitting land. But those higher order probability calculations are likely beyond my ken.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom