At what age did you retire? (retire=NO paycheck)

At what age did you retire? (retire = NO paycheck)

• below age 45

Votes: 26 5.5%
  • 45 to 50

Votes: 57 11.9%
  • 51 to 55

Votes: 121 25.4%
  • 56 to 60

Votes: 147 30.8%
  • 61 to 65

Votes: 61 12.8%
  • above 65

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • not yet retired (includes semi-retired, etc.)

Votes: 60 12.6%

• Total voters
One month shy of my 46th birthday. My BS bucket overflowed, one day I just couldn't take it anymore.

Size of pay or hours worked

I would think that if you work less than 20 hours a week you are functionally retired regardless of what that pays, but it is your poll so you do get to make the rules! I retired, to my way of thinking, three years ago right after my 60th birthday. I do consider that slightly early retirement for people who do not draw any kind of pension. But I work about 8 hours a week so maybe that isn’t quite retired? And the eight hours a week make around six figures a year so based on pay I look like I have a job I suppose. But compared to my old high stress 45-50 hour a week job this feels like no job at all.

Retired at 48 in 2017; DW at 49 in 2016

I planned for 52, but overshot it by 4 blissful years. This in spite of $600k mortgage, 2 DDs in college with 2 more in the batters box and DW spending like a drunken sailor on shore leave. All fueled by two modest govt salaries and index funds. what can I say, I like to live dangerously.

I would think that if you work less than 20 hours a week you are functionally retired regardless of what that pays, but it is your poll so you do get to make the rules! I retired, to my way of thinking, three years ago right after my 60th birthday. I do consider that slightly early retirement for people who do not draw any kind of pension. But I work about 8 hours a week so maybe that isn’t quite retired? And the eight hours a week make around six figures a year so based on pay I look like I have a job I suppose. But compared to my old high stress 45-50 hour a week job this feels like no job at all.

I worked part-time for the last 7 years of my 23-year career. Those last 7 years included working only 12 hours a week for the last 17 months of those 7 part-time years. I thought reducing my weekly hours worked from 20 to 12 would help ease the miserable commute I had for some of the other 7 years. But it didn't, at least not for very long.

The commute was still miserable, even 2 days a week. And it was expensive, too. I spent 5 hours a week on the commute, and it cost me $40 per week for the 2 round-trips. I never considered myself retired even though I worked so little. Semi-retired, yes, as I had been for nearly 7 years. The only way to eliminate the miserable commute was to eliminate the job and fully retire. And that's what I did, just over 10 years ago, when I was 45. :)

I retired at 55 from the federal government with a pension that is 65% of my pay in 2006 but got a job with the County from 2006 to 2016 so I can collect 2 paychecks with only 1 job for 10 years.

Divorced in 2009 so my wife got 40% of my federal pension but only 15% of my County pension. Re-married to a beautiful woman 20 years younger than me and she is still working so I became a house husband at 65.

Divorce is both emotionally and financially devastating but i recovered by marrying a younger woman. It looks like I am going to have a happy ending. In reply to your question: I am now better off but in my case.....I married "up".

+1
My wife is 28 years younger than me and those "happy endings" over the past 15 years have more then made up for the emotional and financial costs of divorce!

Never got to retire. Canned by MegaCorp at 58, 13 years ago, I’m a card-carrying member of the Long Term Unemployed. It’s been sweet!

Never got to retire. Canned by MegaCorp at 58, 13 years ago, I’m a card-carrying member of the Long Term Unemployed. It’s been sweet!

:D :dance:

Like wise canned at 50, 1993. Did some temp (jobshopper stints) about a yr or so till 55 and then and early pension.

heh heh heh - :cool:

a. Retired 2 days before my 57th Birthday (12/2017.)

b. 04/2018 - I picked up an 8 hour a week “side hustle” which I enjoy very much.

c. 03/2020 - Furloughed from “side hustle” and have received $664 per week UI. Only in America. [emoji3]

d. 06/01/2020 - Reinstated at “side hustle.”

Sort of glad that I have a “side hustle” as we’re not planning any travel until Oct 2021.

I

Age 54 last year.

Building up 401K got me positioned to qualify as accredited investor, getting into private equity last several years allowed retiring at 54.

Last edited:
Gave my job the heave ho 10/31/16 at 56 yo (Happiest Halloween ever). :dance:

I should have done it sooner (but I'm a fretter), as the past almost 4 years have been SO great. I had no idea how much stress had been impacting my physical and mental health. Even during quarantine we've found ways to enjoy our days. It helps that I'm married to my very best friend. :D

Age 57, June 6 2015. Hard to believe it has been 5 years! Should have pulled the plug at least two years earlier, but couldn’t figure out what I would do with my time after working 12 hours a day for years. After a couple of months, the time just took care of itself. Couldn’t be more content.

I think we need a better understanding of what qualifies as retirement? So if volunteering as a crossing guard 2 hours a day because you like to help the neighborhood kids is a hobby but if you earn more than $300? it is not?

For me it is not about money. Most of us here follow our investments, track expenses, returns etc. is that work? If you occasionally deal with a tenant on a rental apt is that work? Or an AirBnB guest in your guest house?

For me the definition of work, regardless of how much you enjoy it is... 1 you have to do it more than 10 hours a week or less hours but regularly say every Tuesday and Friday morning so the time is not your own, 2 others are relying upon you to do it so you can’t say no this week or today because you want to sleep in. 3 it provides needed funds to live, not fun money....

(I know that I am fully retired but occasionally I am asked to consult and it takes 4-5 hours and I earn a couple grand a few times a year). I only do it if I feel like it and for people I like. I make a lot more than the $300 s month you allow. I think mind set is more important than $ amount

Age 52 - no earned income in 18 years - it's been wonderful!!!

Retired around 54.6 years old. Almost exactly five years ago
I have one client that I still do a single job for every year. The money is just too good. It takes me about two days and the $$$$ helps pay for my woodshop tool addiction.

At exacly 59.5

Me 10 years ago at 50, DH 5 years ago at 57. No looking back. Life is good.

Back
Top Bottom