At what age did you retire? (retire=NO paycheck)

At what age did you retire? (retire = NO paycheck)

• below age 45

Votes: 26 5.5%
  • 45 to 50

Votes: 57 11.9%
  • 51 to 55

Votes: 121 25.4%
  • 56 to 60

Votes: 147 30.8%
  • 61 to 65

Votes: 61 12.8%
  • above 65

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • not yet retired (includes semi-retired, etc.)

Votes: 60 12.6%

• Total voters

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm guessing a fair number retired after age 55 which seems to be a popular definition of Early Retirement.

There should be a category for everyone. :greetings10:

Last edited:
Part-time consulting work at age 47.

Full retirement at age 55.

Wife retired at age 50.

Last edited:
58 but within 7 months was working part time and 6 years later still love teaching.

Year: 2008

Almost 11 years but sure doesn't seem that long ago.

Due to the strict definition of "retirement" as used here (bunch of hogwash), I'm not yet retired at age 69. I get an occasional paycheck as a substitute crossing guard because I'm available.

Retired from my career engineering job in 2000 at the age of 50 and starting collecting my pension checks. Also worked seasonally as a tax preparer for the past 18 years to keep busy in the dog days of winter, but not this year, do it on a volunteer basis.

Last edited:
The plan was age 55, I missed it by 2 1/2 months. 3 years and 7 months and counting into the best years of my life!

Due to the strict definition of "retirement" as used here (bunch of hogwash), I'm not yet retired at age 69. I get an occasional paycheck as a substitute crossing guard because I'm available.

Retired from my career engineering job in 2000 at the age of 50 and starting collecting my pension checks. Also worked seasonally as a tax preparer for the past 18 years to keep busy in the dog days of winter, but not this year, do it on a volunteer basis.

The truth is I have never washed a hog. And certainly not for pay.

If you earn a very small amount then maybe that would really be retired for the purposes of this poll. So if a crossing guard makes say, $300 per school month, that would probably be in the grey area of not-really-working.

I kick the can at 52 wish that I'll have done it sooner but no complaints.

I retired at 45, in late 2008. That was just over 10 years ago. While I knew I would retire in my early 50s at the latest, things fell together much more quickly so by age 44 (in 2007) I new I'd be done by the end of 2008.

Plan was for 55 and I could have then, but we were in the middle of rebuilding our summer home to be our retirement home. By the time all the pieces fell into place, which included moving into our retirement home and selling our main home, my last day of work was less than a month after my 56th birthday.

Retired on my 56th birthday in 2013. I am loving every minute of it.

Plan was 57. I left at 56, in 2013.

I retired at 61, but I am proud of retiring that early after a bad divorce left me with essentially nothing at age 50. I just had to hit the LBYM really hard and plan, plan, plan. And reading posts from the wise people on this forum helped a lot.

There is life after divorce! (And retirement too if that is the goal.)

:dance::D

I retired at 61, but I am proud of retiring that early after a bad divorce left me with essentially nothing at age 50. I just had to hit the LBYM really hard and plan, plan, plan. And reading posts from the wise people on this forum helped a lot.

There is life after divorce! (And retirement too if that is the goal.)

:dance::D

W2R, that is an impressive feat. I have read that divorce is one of the most traumatic life experiences.

Back
Top Bottom