Attaching license plate to new bumper

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW would like to attach her license plate to this virgin bumper:

License.jpg

Any problems with just drilling the right sized holes? That's how it appears to have been done on ours:

License 003.jpg

I think I would give the local toyota dealer a call and ask them how they put the plates on. Did you get this new car from the dealer? If so , they should be willing to put the plates on for you.

Generally there are pilot holes or dimples in the front facia. This is done at the factory to facilitate those states that require front licinse plates. If there are dimples, you can drill small pilot holes and then use sheet metal screws for mounting the plate. Also, the manufacturer will sometimes provide a mounting bracket where you mount the bracket to the front facia and then the plate to the bracket. Look around in the trunk for the bracket, like under the spare tire.

She'll want to be sure her new alumni license plate holders fit too!

I'm glad to see she got a new car, instead of a used one. Which Toyota model is it?

I would use those peel off double sticky foam tape strips. Apply three strips on the license plate first then line it up and press onto the bumper. Will help with resale if you don't have that ugly drilled whole in a virgin bumper.

If you need extra pressing power, drive the car slowly up to a wall and when you gently contact the wall, do a slight burnout.

Nice car and blog. I forgot that not all states require license plates on the front....thus thinking it was a new car. Looks like she got a great deal on the car.

OK, so a car with 78000 miles, air behind the plastic "bumper", drill the holes. Use sheetmetal screws, if worried about rust streaks, splurge and get the stainless steel variety. If worried about screws loosening, insert plastic wall anchors, then the sheet metal screws.

Happy drilling.

Not too long ago I picked up a used car from PA and needed a license plate bracket for Ohio. I went to the Pull-a-Part in Cleveland and picked one up for less than $5.00. I always enjoy going to the junkyards that let you wander through the cars and select your own junk and take it off. You clould probably find the same part used on other Toyotas.

Back
Top Bottom