Auto Loan Debt is Spiraling Out of Control

We have been seeing the same in our area. High purchase prices for new, inflated prices for used. I get offers once a week for our used CRV.

But the high prices have made the decision for me to keep my 2002 F150 and just start fixing things that I have allowed to go because I was unsure of keeping it. This last month I installed a new back sliding window latch, new window sweeps (driver and passenger side doors), repaired the passenger side mirror and installed new mirror adjustment switch, installed new door lock switch and driver side lock actuator (what a pita). Cleaned the carpet, new weathertech mats front and back. I was surprised at how good it looks now. Next up.... getting some parts of it painted. Going this week for an estimate.

I think supply *is* an issue, but like the Bronco, folks REALLY want a Maverick so even in the best of times, I think demand would exceed supply for a while. People don't like the idea of spending $40,000 on a Ranger when you can get what a Ranger "used to be" for $20,000'ish.
I have a Maverick on order.

Maverick story from a local dealer: According to dealer rep, Ford opened up the order window for 2023 Mavericks recently. So, the dealership hustled around and ordered 60 - 70 of them for inventory. Shortly after submitted the order, Ford called to tell them that they were rolling a bunch of customer orders for the 2022 model year over to 2023s and that the inventory order was cancelled. Ultimately, they were able to order a few for inventory but the bulk of the order was dead.

I guess I fall into the "has to have the latest and greatest"--but that's because Adaptive Cruise Control/Lane Assist/all other safety tech generally only comes on the higher-priced trims, at least in FordWorld.

And ACC/lane assist/blind spot assist/etc is non-negotiable for me, as someone who spends a lot of time driving solo on *very* open roads.

Don't care about the sound system, etc etc. But the Blue Oval makes sure that I pay for the privilege of safety.

(Bought a new Escape last year, but am finding it too small for what my needs have become since the purchase--I will never forgive Ford for taking it off the SUV chassis. Now looking at Edges, even though I know they are being discontinued after next year. Would take a used 2022, but a little soon for much inventory on that.)

As for whether or not I should be buying another car instead of just living with my mistake, well, I am a pretty active participant in the Blow That Dough! thread. :)

(Ford loyalty is a family thing, btw)

Back
Top Bottom