Baseball 2021

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Someone had to start this year's thread, so here it is. Talk about the MLB 2021 season, plus more. I'm going to start with more.

I miss baseball. Last year was tough, not just in MLB, but in ALL baseball from youth up through the high organized leagues. In one of the virus threads, I lamented the fact that Minor League Baseball was going to lose a set of teams. It was in the works already, and Covid sealed the deal. More about that in a moment. It has a kind of happy ending.

Baseball is from a different era. Some say it is too slow, especially in today's high rev world. Frankly, 20 years ago I thought it would be dead by now. I was wrong. Baseball (or softball) has some stuff going for it too. Not only does it help youth develop all kinds of athletic skills, it also has a set of rules and strategy that are both simple, and complex. You got to think about it when you play.

I think the one reason baseball will survive is because it has one of the lowest incidences of concussions in organized sport. The link between concussion and dementia will continue to be investigated. Football players are already routinely playing short careers, by choice. Where will this go? Granted, baseball is not completely safe from concussion or serious injury, but it can be the lessor of many evils.

Finally, about those shrinking minor leagues... Most of the ones that had MLB affiliations have reorganized. In my area, the Burlington, NC team is now part of a league (Appalachian League) that will feature some of the best early college prospects. Yeah, it will be far away from MLB, but I have to tell you, there's a lot of good HS players out there that can wow the fans.

I'll leave you with this. The alternate logo from the newly branded Burlington Sock Puppets. Keep in mind Burlington, NC was the hosiery capital of the USA at one time, before off-shoring. (Gold Toe, anyone?) What's not to like about some of these crazy team names?
STIR-L-ONWHT_FC.png

I am looking forward to a more normal baseball season. Not having Spring Training and games starting in late March/April was tough last year.

My Minnesota Twins likely will be good enough to contend for the Division, but get blasted in the playoffs. The Playoffs is our World Series. :)

I'm looking forward to it too. Just note that we need to be prepared for some turbulence to the start. MLB offered a 154 game schedule with pay still at the 162 level. The union rejected it. So what does this mean? I don't know, but it doesn't sound good.

Here's the "hard line" from MLB on this news. In summary: "We tried, you ignored us, so show up to work!"

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-statement-on-start-of-2021-spring-training-season

Arenado is going to make St Louis Cardinals the team to beat in the Central Division this year. Goldy and Arenado back to back will be awesome!!!

I am looking forward to a more normal baseball season. Not having Spring Training and games starting in late March/April was tough last year.

My Minnesota Twins likely will be good enough to contend for the Division, but get blasted in the playoffs. The Playoffs is our World Series. :)

the owner's want to push back opening day about a month. the player's union is pushing back. i very much doubt spring training games will have full stands...maybe a small fraction. we've been going to Cubs ST for decades but we decided not to make the trip this year. some of the veteran players have been traded. that does not bode well.

the owner's want to push back opening day about a month. the player's union is pushing back. i very much doubt spring training games will have full stands...maybe a small fraction. we've been going to Cubs ST for decades but we decided not to make the trip this year. some of the veteran players have been traded. that does not bode well.

I hear you. Boo on the Cubs.

No way will I subscribe to their Marquee network to watch games. Thought about doing so last year before the covid stuff hit. With all the recent changes (rebuilding) they've made, the Cubs gotta prove they are serious about actually trying to win before I fall spend my time and money following them.

I hear you. Boo on the Cubs.

No way will I subscribe to their Marquee network to watch games. Thought about doing so last year before the covid stuff hit. With all the recent changes (rebuilding) they've made, the Cubs gotta prove they are serious about actually trying to win before I fall spend my time and money following them.

i felt the same way but at the last minute ComCast added the Marquee Network. i'm hoping the MN fails.

The owners want to push back the season for as long as they can until fans can attend the games again. They would have us believe it's for the fan's safety reasons but it's really about the money. It's hard to argue that spring training and the season should be pushed back a month for safety when both NBA basketball and NHL hockey are currently playing games, and they play indoors. Meanwhile new COVID cases are plummeting.

The MLB and AAA teams will have spring training schedule and their regular season schedule as per usual. AA and A minor league teams will start a month late. This is being done to minimize the number of players using the spring training facility. While minor leagues typically play until Labor Day and then have playoffs, I believe the minor league seasons will run to the end of September and there will be no playoffs.

I'm hoping the Dodgers can repeat without the asterisk. But I'm betting there will be another asterisk.

Baseball is from a different era. Some say it is too slow, especially in today's high rev world.
For me, baseball’s great appeal is that it is a very “listenable” game; i.e., unlike other sports, you can listen to a game on the radio and still enjoy it. I cannot listen to football or hockey on the radio.

For a while, in the 80s, I worked evenings in rural northern Illinois and had an hour plus commute back to the Chicago suburbs. I can still remember driving home those nights, listening to the Cubs or the White Sox (it didn’t matter, as long as there was a game on). Also, In the 90s, I lived on the West Coast and have fond memories of driving those California expressways listening to Vin Scully call Dodgers games. I wasn’t a Dodgers fan, but listening to Vin Scully call a game is a sublime experience.

Personally, I like that slower pace that baseball provides.

For me, baseball’s great appeal is that it is a very “listenable” game; i.e., unlike other sports, you can listen to a game on the radio and still enjoy it. I cannot listen to football or hockey on the radio.
I'm OK with football, but hockey is pretty much a no-go. Baseball is certainly a perfect radio game, and one reason the sport exploded in the first half of the 1900s.

Growing up in the depression years, my dad was still a huge radio fan over TV. I have so many fond memories of doing stuff with him with Vince Lloyd and Lou Boudreau on in the background.

When I got XM radio in the aughts, I spent some time listening to the Cubs broadcast, but eventually the novelty faded when my parents got ill. Maybe it reminded me too much of them.

Speaking of different eras, and anger at the Cubs, I have here a snap of a Cubs program from 1974. Today, the Cubs just generate money with apparent little regard for anything else. My last attended game was summer of '19. It felt like I was in a machine. I may have shed a tear or two because it was nothing like my fond memories of the 70s, hanging out in the bleachers. Those were the days of no worries, and even a kid could afford it. Those were the days of turbulent politics everywhere around us, but not in the ballpark.

Some highlights if you can't read it:

• Hot dog: 45 cents
  • Box seats: $4
  • Bleachers: $1
  • Old Style Beer: 60 cents
  • Cigar: 15, 20 or 30 cents
  • Coffee: 15 cents
  • Cheese sandwich: 45 cents (cheese sandwich??)
  • Cola or Fresca: 25 cents. (I can still taste those Frescas, ugh)
  • Adult windbreaker: $9.75
I also have a scan of my scoring of the Cubs vs Pirates game. I'll spare you my 11 year old chicken scratch. :)

Attachments

• 1974 Program 1.jpg
    1974 Program 1.jpg
    925 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Can't wait for the season to start. I love to listen to the "late games" on the radio... By the top of the second I'm out like a light. Nothing puts me to sleep faster. :)

I got to attend my first baseball game of the season over the weekend (the last sporting event I attended was also a baseball game --March 4 a year ago). I was so glad to be there, it was great. It was a college game--UNC v Clemson and my Tar Heels are off to a good start and swept the weekend series. A lot of home runs, some great fielding, a spectacular double play. It was a little strange to be there--limited tickets, everyone spaced apart, masks required (and there were mask police everywhere) but it was still great. Baseball is a great spectator sport.

Last edited:

My MN Twins, the unofficial AAA club of the NY Yankees. I swear we could have Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, and a bunch of other hall of famers in their prime and we would still get swept by those damn Yankees in the playoffs. Went to the Met for my first Twins game in 1970. Good times.

Just finished my HS umpire test yesterday. I'm ready to go. I officiate volleyball also. I have a few more volleyball matches before my first day on the diamond. Tenth year for baseball and 8th year for volleyball. Only got about 15-20 baseball games last year behind the plate.

Play Ball!

Speaking of different eras, and anger at the Cubs, I have here a snap of a Cubs program from 1974. Today, the Cubs just generate money with apparent little regard for anything else. My last attended game was summer of '19. It felt like I was in a machine. I may have shed a tear or two because it was nothing like my fond memories of the 70s, hanging out in the bleachers. Those were the days of no worries, and even a kid could afford it. Those were the days of turbulent politics everywhere around us, but not in the ballpark.

Some highlights if you can't read it:

• Hot dog: 45 cents
  • Box seats: $4
  • Bleachers: $1
  • Old Style Beer: 60 cents
  • Cigar: 15, 20 or 30 cents
  • Coffee: 15 cents
  • Cheese sandwich: 45 cents (cheese sandwich??)
  • Cola or Fresca: 25 cents. (I can still taste those Frescas, ugh)
  • Adult windbreaker: $9.75
I also have a scan of my scoring of the Cubs vs Pirates game. I'll spare you my 11 year old chicken scratch. :)

That was back in the day when only "3,000 *#!@ people that show up every #*!$ day" and "The &#@$ don't even work, that's why they're out at the $#*! game"

Famous Cub manager rant from the early 80s. If you are not easily offended, the full clip THE Unofficial Official Lee Elia Tirade Page!

For a while, in the 80s, I worked evenings in rural northern Illinois and had an hour plus commute back to the Chicago suburbs. I can still remember driving home those nights, listening to the Cubs or the White Sox (it didn’t matter, as long as there was a game on).
Listening to a baseball game is one of my favorite things to do on a long-distance drive. It's most of what is keeping my satellite radio subscription in place.

My MN Twins, the unofficial AAA club of the NY Yankees. I swear we could have Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, and a bunch of other hall of famers in their prime and we would still get swept by those damn Yankees in the playoffs. Went to the Met for my first Twins game in 1970. Good times.

I've been a Twins fan since the early 60's. My earliest distinct memory of a attending a game there was on August 2, 1965, when I saw Harmon Killebrew get injured on a collision play at first base. The date has been burned into my memory because I was worried sick he wouldn't be back in time for the World Series.

You've just nailed the problem with the Twins. They don't have the attitude that they are going to WIN the World Series. They have the attitude they are going to win the division and then once in the playoffs "anything can happen." No, no, and no. Winning franchises don't say, "let's make the playoffs", they say, "our goal is to win the World Series."

It's a systemic problem with management, and has been for years. Winning attitude comes from management and it has been sorely lacking here for decades. It must be something to do with living in Minnesota and Minnesota Nice because the Vikings say the same thing, "goal is to make the playoffs and see what happens." Occasionally they will say, "our goal is to get to the Super Bowl." No, no, a thousand times, NO! The goal is to WIN THE SUPER BOWL.

The press in the Twin Cities is complicit as they write articles about future prospects with the underlying message of "this team is going to be good in a couple of years." If you read the papers from around here, start noticing this phenomena. It's pervasive.

</rant over>

And baseball in snow!

I don't watch a lot of baseball and the way things are going this year it will probably be even less...

I did watch the first Texas Ranger home game today. Why?

(1) Well, it was suppose to be the first game in a year that would be allowing full fan attendance. It was pretty full.

(2) Our governor (Abbott) was suppose to throw out the first pitch, but he balked and decided against it....:LOL:

Last edited:
Can't beat funny play at the old ballpark:

^^^ Unbelievable. A buddy of mine is a lifelong Pirates fan (and I lived in Chicago for 26 years) - he was not amused at all…

^^^^^

They replayed that a number of times on the news yesterday... Hilarious comedy of errors..

Back
Top Bottom