Baseball 2024

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was going to post to the "Baseball 2023" thread but it was locked. So I guess this is the "Baseball 2024" thread.

The Dodgers spent another wad of money on a free agent. After signing Shohei Ohtani $700 million over 20 years they just committed to paying Yoshinobu Yamamoto to $325 million over 12 years.

Who is Yoshinobu Yamamoto?

He's a 24 year old starting pitcher from the Japanese baseball's Nippon Professional Baseball league (NPB.)

His career stats:

172 games
14 complete games
1.72 ERA
WHIP 0.935
75-30 W-L record
He averages more than one strikeout per inning.
He averages 7+ innings per start.
In 2023 season, he pitched 171 innings and allowed only two home runs.

Not too shabby, huh?

Now, the NPB is not MLB level. The consensus is that it is like an elite MLB AAA league. Some call it "quad-A" or AAAA level baseball. Still, he's going to be very good in MLB.

He's got a wicked curveball and a unique way to grip and throw it. Check it out:

Last edited:
I'm not "into" baseball like I was when I was younger, however since two different Texas teams has won the world series in each of the past two years, it's sort of hard for me not to have "some level" of interest. I'll probably watch a little closer next year, at least as long as one of the Texas teams is doing well. :)

I'm not "into" baseball like I was when I was younger, however since two different Texas teams has won the world series in each of the past two years, it's sort of hard for me not to have "some level" of interest. I'll probably watch a little closer next year, at least as long as one of the Texas teams is doing well. :)

Now we just need one of our NFL teams to win their first Super Bowl.:LOL:

I detest the buy the best team model. I know it doesn't always work out (chemistry and managing is key as well), but it feels no good. I like drafting, developing and making smart trades. I guess the Dodgers do that too, but I just hate them loading up so many super stars.

Now we just need one of our NFL teams to win their first Super Bowl.:LOL:
Well the Cowboys have actually won several, just not in recent memory. :)

I detest the buy the best team model. I know it doesn't always work out (chemistry and managing is key as well), but it feels no good. I like drafting, developing and making smart trades. I guess the Dodgers do that too, but I just hate them loading up so many super stars.

Loading up with superstars doesn't always work out. Along with chemistry and managing is a good blend of different role players. At least that's how I remember baseball teams were in the past.

I don't like it either. But look at the Dodgers. They've won their division 10 out of the last 11 years. They've been to the playoffs 11 years in a row. They've won the World Series once in those 11 years, the COVID shortened year of 2020.

The Yankees are another example of spending big bucks and not winning it all, at least for the past 15 years.

The Tampa Bay Rays are the exact opposite. They scout, draft, develop their talent. They are perennial contenders, making the playoffs almost as often as the Dodgers. Yet as soon as it comes time to pay their own drafted players big money they trade them for prospects.

Well the Cowboys have actually won several, just not in recent memory. :)

I knew that, since I am old enough to recall when they practiced each year in Thousand Oaks, where I lived 2 miles from the practice facility. But really meant the other team......:LOL:

I knew that, since I am old enough to recall when they practiced each year in Thousand Oaks, where I lived 2 miles from the practice facility. But really meant the other team......:LOL:
I figured as much... Everyone needs to have "dreams", even as unlikely as they may be to come true.:2funny:

Last edited:
I'm as much a capitalist as the next guy, but baseball needs a salary cap. And one that can't be manipulated by deferring salary past a player's playing days.

I'm as much a capitalist as the next guy, but baseball needs a salary cap. And one that can't be manipulated by deferring salary past a player's playing days.

I wonder if the deferring is a one time thing (unique to Ohtani as most folks might say "Show me the money!"). Also I wonder now if owners will tell future stars to be like Ohtani and defer to take one for the team.

Could get interesting :popcorn:.

Could get interesting :popcorn:.

I agree. I wonder if the state tax authorities are going to get wise to this also. If Ohtani receives his balloon payment in some other state (or country), California may say "Hey wait a minute. You earned that while working here".

I was going to post to the "Baseball 2023" thread but it was locked. So I guess this is the "Baseball 2024" thread.

Sorry about that. It was unintentional. We can open it again and merge these new posts or just leave it as it.

Sorry about that. It was unintentional. We can open it again and merge these new posts or just leave it as it.

Might as well leave it, it'll be 2024 in less than 10 days

Perhaps it's my knee-jerk reaction to the Dodgers and and a few other teams getting all the big names. But there really isn't much correlation between payroll and success, as both the Dodgers and the Yankees are 1-2 in the WS post 2000.

Of course winning the World Series isn't the only measure of success. Playoff appearances? That gets watered down every few years with new, expanded playoff formats. Games won?

Probably could start a whole thread on just this :)

Perhaps it's my knee-jerk reaction to the Dodgers and and a few other teams getting all the big names. But there really isn't much correlation between payroll and success, as both the Dodgers and the Yankees are 1-2 in the WS post 2000.

Of course winning the World Series isn't the only measure of success. Playoff appearances? That gets watered down every few years with new, expanded playoff formats. Games won?

Probably could start a whole thread on just this :)

Success for the team owners is making a lot of money. High dollar players draw crowds.

I've decided to start following some baseball again (after my 2 year hiatus :)) despite all the silly rules.

Unfortunately, looks like the baseball season is starting out with a big dark cloud over the Ohtani's interpreter gambling debts situation.

SPORTS
MLB launches investigation into gambling allegations surrounding Shohei Ohtani and his former interpreter
By Dean Fioresi

Updated on: March 22, 2024 / 6:57 PM EDT / KCAL News

Days after lawyers accused Shohei Ohtani's longtime interpreter Ippei Mizuhara of "massive theft" to pay off gambling debts, Major League Baseball has announced that they are launching their own formal investigation into allegations surrounding the Dodgers star player.

"Major League Baseball has been gathering information since we learned about the allegations involving Shohei Ohtani and Ippei Mizuhari from the news media. Earlier today, our Department of Investigations (DOI) began their formal process investigating the matter," said the statement from MLB.

The exact circumstances surrounding the course of their investigation remain unclear, though ESPN reports that they will likely request interviews from all of the people involved in the allegations.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mlb-la...ei-ohtani-ippei-mizuhara-los-angeles-dodgers/

I think the situation is just sad as about a year ago, I was saying to myself sure hope that Ohtani's career doesn't get derailed by something off the field.

The question for MLB too is if ends he Ohtani isn't just a victim, but knowing, and if the interpreter we find out betted on baseball (to this point he's denied any betting on baseball), then what will MLB do? Will they do a Pete Rose or Shoeless Joe Jackson? Or will they follow the money and just give a slap on the wrist? Just What Ifs for now.

My wife and I watch almost every Mets game every season. We're traveling to Cincy and Atlanta in April and then to Chicago in June to see them. Opening day is thursday!

I've decided to start following some baseball again (after my 2 year hiatus :)) despite all the silly rules.

Unfortunately, looks like the baseball season is starting out with a big dark cloud over the Ohtani's interpreter gambling debts situation.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mlb-la...ei-ohtani-ippei-mizuhara-los-angeles-dodgers/

I think the situation is just sad as about a year ago, I was saying to myself sure hope that Ohtani's career doesn't get derailed by something off the field.

The question for MLB too is if ends he Ohtani isn't just a victim, but knowing, and if the interpreter we find out betted on baseball (to this point he's denied any betting on baseball), then what will MLB do? Will they do a Pete Rose or Shoeless Joe Jackson? Or will they follow the money and just give a slap on the wrist? Just What Ifs for now.

Something is rotten here. When the story first broke the charges were the interpreter stole $4.5M from Ohtani. In response the interpreter claimed that Ohtani willingly paid off $4.5M worth of gambling debts the interpreter had incurred.

Really?!

A sports bookie lets an interpreter that's getting paid $160K per year to rack up over $4 million in gambling debts and doesn't send the goon squad after him?

An Ohtani spokesman then confirms that Ohtani paid the money to cover gambling debts.

But the next day a different Ohtani spokesman says Ohtani wasn't even aware that the interpreter had been gambling and went back to the claim that Ohtani was a victim of theft.

This is soon followed by a statement by the interpreter saying he lied earlier about Ohtani paying off his debts, now claiming that Ohtani knew nothing about his gambling problems. When asked if he stole the money from Ohtani he had no comment.

It was amazing seeing Giancarlo Stanton hit THREE massive home runs in one game the other day.
Hope that this is a good sign for the Yankees.

It was amazing seeing Giancarlo Stanton hit THREE massive home runs in one game the other day.
Hope that this is a good sign for the Yankees.

Every year he is in the top ten for batted balls with the highest exit velocity. (He hits the ball REAL HARD.) He once hit a HR clean out of Dodger stadium.

Something is rotten here. When the story first broke the charges were the interpreter stole $4.5M from Ohtani. In response the interpreter claimed that Ohtani willingly paid off $4.5M worth of gambling debts the interpreter had incurred.

Really?!

A sports bookie lets an interpreter that's getting paid $160K per year to rack up over $4 million in gambling debts and doesn't send the goon squad after him?

An Ohtani spokesman then confirms that Ohtani paid the money to cover gambling debts.

But the next day a different Ohtani spokesman says Ohtani wasn't even aware that the interpreter had been gambling and went back to the claim that Ohtani was a victim of theft.

This is soon followed by a statement by the interpreter saying he lied earlier about Ohtani paying off his debts, now claiming that Ohtani knew nothing about his gambling problems. When asked if he stole the money from Ohtani he had no comment.

Agree that there sure seems like there is more to the story.

If there is a smoking gun and we find out that the interpreter actually did bet on baseball with Othani's money (wired from Othani's account as stories say), I wonder how will MLB deal with that. But that's getting ahead of things, I guess. It very well could be that Othani was helping out a [-]mooch, vulture [/-] friend. But regardless, surely doesn't look good.

Interesting that the Ohtani news broke while the team was in Korea. Suddenly the Dodgers don't look quite as invincible as they had a week ago.

Back
Top Bottom