Be Ready to Lose Your Firefox Extensions

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
An hour ago, all my Firefox extensions stopped working. This is happening for thousands of people (or more?) when the time clicks over to 5/4/19 Midnight UTC.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19823465

I'm trying Chrome, and so far it's working fine.

i currently use Opera ( with Duckduckgo as a search engine ) as preferred choice ( Bing as a second choice search engine )

yes it grates as a Linux fan , but sometimes you just have to shake your head at the Free Community politics and find stuff that works '

good luck

Since this was due to an unintentional expiration of a certificate, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that they would all start working again shortly?

-gauss

Yes, I"m experiencing this issue right now. Switched to Safari

I have the same problem and mine haven't come back yet. Does anyone have any idea what triggers the fix?

I normally use Chrome but I also have Firefox. Just started it and checked... all extensions are working fine.

No issue with Firefox extensions for me.

Mozilla is pushing out a pair of hotfixes

Update Regarding Add-ons in Firefox

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/comment-page-5/

To provide this fix on short notice, we are using the Studies system. This system is enabled by default, and no action is needed unless Studies have been disabled. Firefox users can check if they have Studies enabled by going to:

It may take up to six hours for the Study to be applied to Firefox. To check if the fix has been applied, you can enter “about:studies” in the location bar. If the fix is in the active, you’ll see “hotfix-update-xpi-signing-intermediate-bug-1548973” in either the Active studies or Completed studies as follows:

about_studies.png

I had studies disabled. Enabled, then re started, the disabled addins are now working.:)

Not working for me, about:studies is a blank screen. I DO miss my adblockers!

If they keep this up I'll have to change browsers to one that will block ads.

Not working for me, about:studies is a blank screen. I DO miss my adblockers!

If they keep this up I'll have to change browsers to one that will block ads.

Today they rolled out an update to fix the problem.
Click on hlep and then about firefox. Or just close and re start it should install the new update with the fix.

Today they rolled out an update to fix the problem.
Click on hlep and then about firefox. Or just close and re start it should install the new update with the fix.

Ah, thank you, that worked. I didn't know they'd rolled out a fix that quick.

No more ads!:dance:

I was on Firefox 66.0.3, and last night I turned ON the "studies". Today I noticed that Adblock Plus was back and working, so the patch must have been applied via the "studies" route.
I then checked what version of Firefox I was on, still said 66.0.3, but that there was an update available, 66.0.4. So I updated to that release. So... now that all of this is done, can I turn OFF "studies"?

I'm happy on Chrome. It's amazing how similar it is to Firefox. Three advantages of Chrome:

1. Vanguard U2F works
2. There was a bug in on website that isn't present when using Chrome
3. I can "Close other tabs" without having to confirm.

Last edited:
When I tire of Firefox, or Chrome, or want to use my old computers, I use Slimjet. Free, clean and integrates with other browsers. I use it on my old Acer Vista machine when I go to the sandy beach. , and it works perfectly.. Can hardly tell it from Chrome. Anyone else use this?

Last edited:
I was on Firefox 66.0.3, and last night I turned ON the "studies". Today I noticed that Adblock Plus was back and working, so the patch must have been applied via the "studies" route.
I then checked what version of Firefox I was on, still said 66.0.3, but that there was an update available, 66.0.4. So I updated to that release. So... now that all of this is done, can I turn OFF "studies"?

You should be able to. I updated to 66.04 without turning "studies" on, and my addons are working.

Google Play had version 66.0.2, so didn't let me update.

So I just turned off add on certificate check by going to about: config and set xpinstall.signatures.required to false.

Back
Top Bottom