Be Careful Inserting your CC. Wild story!

Franklin

Recycles dryer sheets

Last week I needed to take some photos over to our local Walgreens for processing. I dutifully filled out the form showing my name, address, phone number etc. Once they were ready I visited the store and to get the pictures and some frames (this was for my new grandchild which DW and I had only a few all framed up). While I was there I picked up a few toiletries and went to visit the cashier. I used a Visa card and followed the instructions of the cashier. She assisted in inserting the card and I received a Walgreens discount. The cashier loaded my purchases in 2 bags and said we were good to go. Now is where it gets strange. A few hours later our local Police texted my wife indicating her husband (me ) left without paying and they needed to speak with me. I contacted the officer who admitted this was strange but the cashier realized later the charge apparently did not go thru and therefore filed a theft charge with the Police. The police indicated the cashier said my card was denied (did not happen) and I went to my car to get a replacement and never returned. I immediately contacted Visa and they confirmed the card was fine and no connection was made by Walgreens. Visa indicated this happens routinely when the card reader is faulty. I called the store and offered a new card to run that day but they don't take CC numbers over the phone. So, I made an appointment the next day to come in and use the exact same card. I did just that and the card worked fine. Walgreens was paid and the manager indicated it was good that they didn't press charges. But, now I have a police incident report with my name on it! Walgreens apologized and offered me a $10 gift card......I was stunned to say the least.

Now I called the Police sergeant who read the police report to me. The cashier said she had assumed I skipped, she described me as an older white male who looked and acted suspicious. I had on shorts a t shirt and flip flops. Now I am a 67 year old grandad and she said my ID indicated I was 35 and they assumed I had a fake ID. My DL clearly shows me as a 67 year old male. I do have a son who has my name (Jr.) and he lives 4 hours away. Could the store somehow confuse this?

So, I asked the police to review the store footage and their body cam. Upon reviewing this it became clear the cashiers fabricated the police report. The Police sergeant confided in me that this was an extreme overreaction by Walgreens and they dismissed the matter. The cashiers story did not add up and I am still waiting for a written apology from the store.

Being curious I googled articles about Walgreens and read that the company is having an inventory shrinkage issue and has told employees to be more aggressive and lean on the police. The CEO was replaced a month ago and a new one is in place. I don't think this type of customer harassment was what they had in mind.

To conclude this whole thing was unnerving to a person who has never even received a parking ticket. The store video showed me putting my card in the machine while holding my wallet. For whatever reason it never connected to Visa and the clerk never made any effort to inform me.

Now my political statement.....with all the snatch n grabs, shootings etc in the country why are our police required to spend time on something like this. Maybe I was profiled and falsely accused? I don't want anything from Walgreens other than a written apology. And yes I have advised them that they may have a dishonest employee.

Now I stop immediately upon using my CC and make sure we have a receipt.

What would you do is this situation?

I always (99.9%) of the time get a receipt.

Never want to be accused of not paying, especially gas stations where people do fill up and drive away.
Plus I have proof in case I need a refund, or magically the credit card shows a different amount from what I paid.

Lastly, I have proof of my location at that time, my alibi in case someone tries to pin a crime on me..

Amazing and scary story. I guess I should make a point of taking a receipt. I often don't because I just throw them away.

This is another reason I use Apple Pay whenever I can. The transaction receipt shows up instantly on my phone.

Never heard of that one before but it's just another reason to add to why I don't shop at Walgreens anymore.

And I always get a receipt. Especially at gas stations pay at the pump.

Last edited:
Wow, so sorry that happened to you.

I never leave anywhere without a receipt. And I am trying hard to get DH into the same habit, as he frequently does not.

As long as the police report has been dismissed, I would move on.

You've already alerted Walgreens as to what happened. If they don't meet your expectations of an apology it's probably just going to make you angry. And life is too short. JMHO.

The positive. You've learned never to leave without a receipt. I always get a receipt. Always.

When I was young, I learned that you should always keep the receipt and always have them put the purchase in a bag, so no one thinks you stole it. With the modern laws regarding single use bags, that is more problematic.

What would you do is this situation?
I would post it to the forum to get it off my chest, then I would try to laugh it off and be glad I had a good story to tell.

A good laugh (vs stress and elevated cortisol levels) is much better for your health. It's great we still have control of some things in our lives.

Yikes. I use CVS 99.99% of the time and use the self checkout machines, avoiding human contact, except for the pharmacy, which I also put in the cc myself.

Sounds like the cashier screwed up; wasn't paying attention at the conclusion of the transaction and did not notice that the CC transaction failed. Then tried to cover their own a$$ by blaming the customer.

Hookup your cellphone to your cc holder and ask for real time charges alerts I hear my phone ding while the receipt prints out

Sounds like the cashier screwed up; wasn't paying attention at the conclusion of the transaction and did not notice that the CC transaction failed. Then tried to cover their own a$$ by blaming the customer.

so far that's my conclusion

Set up credit card transaction notices.
No longer go to Walgreens, they have some of the highest mark ups in retail.
Leave an online review.

Yep, always get a receipt. DW was a bookkeeper and maintains our records. She insists that I get a receipt. Sometimes it’s a pain, but it’s a good practice.

I'm with the others who said ALWAYS get a receipt. Too easy to be falsely accused at retail stores these days what with self check-out, no store provided shopping bags, etc.

Anyone who has been a cashier for more than 30 minutes must certainly notice the pattern that every purchase process ends in a receipt (or, in these times, at least the option to provide a receipt).

It should have struck the employee as notably odd that a receipt did not print, and they should have figured out why at the time.

Sounds to me like a bad Walgreens employee who should probably be let go.

(I also always get a receipt. Mostly to remind me to put the transaction in Quicken when I get home, but also to defend against a potential shoplifting incident.)

I almost never get receipts, but I do have my notifications set up for all of my credit cards to notify me any time a charge is made. So if I can't use google wallet, I tap my credit card. As soon as I tap my card, (or insert into the machine if they don't have tap and pay), I receive a text that the charge has gone through successfully. If I don't get a notification, then I'll ask the cashier if the charge went through.

I always get a receipt because sometimes I don't want to waste a bag and I don't want to be accused of shoplifting.

I almost never get receipts, but I do have my notifications set up for all of my credit cards to notify me any time a charge is made. So if I can't use google wallet, I tap my credit card. As soon as I tap my card, (or insert into the machine if they don't have tap and pay), I receive a text that the charge has gone through successfully. If I don't get a notification, then I'll ask the cashier if the charge went through.

gotta figure this out thanks

Never heard of that one before but it's just another reason to add to why I don't shop at Walgreens anymore.

And I always get a receipt. Especially at gas stations pay at the pump.

I tend to get a receipt too but recently it has become maybe a 50-50 shot (probably lower, actually) as to whether the pump will spit out a receipt. More often than not, you have to go inside and ask the cashier to print the receipt because they didn't bother to fill up the paper at the pump. So then, you may have to wait in a 5 person line and wait 10 minutes to ask for the receipt. Very tedious!

Back
Top Bottom