BeeGees kinda night.

2HOTinPHX

Full time employment: Posting here.
Started off with this great video discussing BeeGees 4 time comeback struggles.

https://youtu.be/6iTV1hyaw-8

Then watched Barry's first interview after losing his brothers. Very touching interview... covers a lot of the family history.

https://youtu.be/HxkSNV7HtYM

Decided to end the night on a happier note. Breaking out BeeGees 'One night only' DVD. Yes we are still rocking DVDs on our 50" plasma Panasonic and loving it.... fantastic music!!!!!

Amazing band that I enjoy more and respect more all the time. Have watched many YouTube videos.

Watching one of these I first heard "New York Mine Disaster 1941" and realized I had not until then fully appreciated the breadth of their talent.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Have always enjoyed their music.
Great video, thanks

I have that concert DVD also. I haven't watched it in years, but I like it.

I was a teenager during the disco sucks period. Still, it’s hard not to like The Bee Gees. Favorite songs come from the Saturday Night Live album but it’s interesting how many songs they wrote for others. Most notably is Islands In The Stream. Couldn’t imagine anyone but Dolly and Kenny singing that, but The Bee Gees wrote it and sung it quite well. I don’t have the dvd but I always stop my tv surfing when I catch it on PBS.

I've been a Bee Gees fan since the late 60s, when I was but a wee kid. Still a fan even during the disco era, which coincided with my post-graduate years. But for only one song that I can think of, "If I Can't Have You," for Yvonne Elliman, the Bee Gees avoided that stereotypical and over-used "hump-tee-dumpty, hump-tee-dumpty" disco beat in their well-crafted, performed and produced songs of the time. They still hold up well to this day. (Yet I'm still amazed that more people don't realize how creepy those "stalker hiding in the dark" lyrics are in their classic hit "Nights on Broadway." Eek!)

I've been a Bee Gees fan since the late 60s, when I was but a wee kid. Still a fan even during the disco era, which coincided with my post-graduate years. But for only one song that I can think of, "If I Can't Have You," for Yvonne Elliman, the Bee Gees avoided that stereotypical and over-used "hump-tee-dumpty, hump-tee-dumpty" disco beat in their well-crafted, performed and produced songs of the time. They still hold up well to this day. (Yet I'm still amazed that more people don't realize how creepy those "stalker hiding in the dark" lyrics are in their classic hit "Nights on Broadway." Eek!)

Yeah, that’s a fave. Also really like this one:

From what I read Maurice Gibbs did a lot of the musical arrangements. I always enjoy his complex bass riffs.

It was just amazing how this already famous group totally reinvented themselves in the 1970s.

Last edited:
I was 16 when I got Bee Gees First, and bought their subsequent albums. Lifelong fan, and their songs are on my playlist every time I go for a run. I also have their music on my car's jukebox, to my wife's chagrin . I wasn't a fan of their disco music, at first, but soon got to love that stuff as well.
I still listen to all of their music.

ETA: True story - my oldest granddaughter was born May 19, 2014, a few days early. After exulting in the happy news, and telling all of my friends, I was then able to buy tickets to see Barry Gibb on May 23. Prior, DW wouldn't let me buy them as that was the original due date.

Last edited:
I was a teenager during the disco sucks period. Still, it’s hard not to like The Bee Gees. Favorite songs come from the Saturday Night Live album but it’s interesting how many songs they wrote for others. Most notably is Islands In The Stream. Couldn’t imagine anyone but Dolly and Kenny singing that, but The Bee Gees wrote it and sung it quite well. I don’t have the dvd but I always stop my tv surfing when I catch it on PBS.
Yes I could not stand them during disco era.

But their careers reflected a number of phases and music styles going back to when they were kids. Curiously the falsetto thing was kind of tried on a whim. Worked at least commercially, as Barry has a crazy falsetto.

But they had quite a career both before and after the disco era.

It's the disco era that first got me into the BeeGees music. Great stuff.

ETA: True story - my oldest granddaughter was born May 19, 2014, a few days early. After exulting in the happy news, and telling all of my friends, I was then able to buy tickets to see Barry Gibb on May 23. Prior, DW wouldn't let me buy them as that was the original due date.

How was the concert?

Yes I could not stand them during disco era.

But their careers reflected a number of phases and music styles going back to when they were kids. Curiously the falsetto thing was kind of tried on a whim. Worked at least commercially, as Barry has a crazy falsetto.

But they had quite a career both before and after the disco era.
The falsetto thing, especially as back up, was a major tradition in the soul/funk bands of the time. BeeGees were big fans of several of them.

When they moved to Miami they used the same recording studio as some of these groups.

When I heard some of their pre-1970s music I was astounded at how many big musical hits they had already written. Also several big time stars had recorded their songs. When it came down to it they saw themselves are songwriters first, and enjoyed producing recordings for other singers, sometimes singing backup.

Disco sucks. Remember when they blew up those disco records at the baseball stadium? Good times.

Disco is great fun. Generally very upbeat.

I still can’t sit still to this:

So many people think Bee Gees were only a disco group, due to their huge popularity during that era. But they had a huge compendium of music spanning decades. Add to that their solo endeavors, Andy Gibb's music, and songs written and produced for other performers. Even if you don't enjoy their music you have to concede they were beyond-immensely talented.

Last edited:
"It came to me in a dream" said Barry (of the falsetto).

Interesting story. Was kind of an accident.

https://www.smoothradio.com/artists...s a request by,you scream, scream in falsetto.
Interesting read..thanks....
This is from the same article...
Now the Bee Gees stand as one of the biggest-selling acts in music history, with Barry Gibb sitting only second to Paul McCartney as the songwriter with most number one singles ever, either written or co-written.

Who knew.....

Interesting read..thanks....
This is from the same article...
Now the Bee Gees stand as one of the biggest-selling acts in music history, with Barry Gibb sitting only second to Paul McCartney as the songwriter with most number one singles ever, either written or co-written.

Who knew.....

These guys are underrated!

Back
Top Bottom