Before You Get On a Plane

Eagle43

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As a public service, I thought I would give you a tip before you board a plane.

Here it is.  Go to the bathroom in the airport.

Why, you ask?  Well, according to the New York Times a lot of people are slugging down big drinks just before boarding.  So, what happens.  Long lines to the lavatory.

This from their article: Forget Legroom. What About More Water?

Quote:  Meanwhile, there is one more issue facing passengers under the new security rules. Because passengers are required to toss or finish their drinks before boarding, many have been chugging 16-ounce bottles of water or venti lattes just before they get on the plane. On Heather Freeman’s turbulent flight from Washington to Orlando, that meant extra long lines for the onboard restrooms. “I never saw so many people get up,” she said.

Yet not everyone successfully made it to the restroom. “It was a very turbulent flight,” Ms. Freeman said, “so they kept saying, ‘Get back in your seats.’ ” Unquote.

Cross your legs and have a nice flight!

Eagle43 said:
Because passengers are required to toss or finish their drinks before boarding, many have been chugging 16-ounce bottles of water or venti lattes just before they get on the plane.
Amateurs. There's nothing wrong with chugging a big drink before a bathroom-limited flight... as long as you empty the original container and keep it for "later"!

Good tip, Eagle.

I learned that one loooong ago.  Also, there are washrooms in some airplanes (Bombardier) that are incredibly small.  Plan ahead!

Never had to use Nords' 'bubble jar'--yet.

Cheers,

Ed the Gypsy.

On a long flight make sure you go just before the movie ends.

Remember what your mother told you on that long car trip...

Don't DRINK ANYTHING WE ARE NOT STOPPING UNTIL GRANDMAS HOUSE!!!

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Never had to use Nords' 'bubble jar'--yet.
DH, who used to be a small plane pilot, called it a HERE bottle: Human Element Range Extender :D .I presume he picked that up (no, not the bottle ::)) when he was a civilian worker at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Before my time...I think I was picketing Draper Labs in a tie-dyed muumuu and love beads when he worked there.

astromeria said:
DH, who used to be a small plane pilot, called it a HERE bottle: Human Element Range Extender
Well, if you stuff it with tissue paper then the naval aviation technical term is "piddle pack".

astromeria said:
DH, who used to be a small plane pilot, called it a HERE bottle: Human Element Range Extender :D

Nords said:
Well, if you stuff it with tissue paper then the naval aviation technical term is "piddle pack".

In the day, every aircrewmember was issued an MX-991/U emergency relief device as part of their survival gear...

img_424046_0_969931628791e03be05256c22fe035b9.jpg

REWahoo! said:
In the day, every aircrewmember was issued an MX-991/U emergency relief device as part of their survival gear...
Hunh.  I thought we were all talking at least 16 ounces. 

If your average submariner tried to plug into one of those emergency relief devices, so to speak, then there wouldn't be any room left over for... eh, never mind.

Nords said:
Hunh. I thought we were all talking at least 16 ounces.

If your average submariner tried to plug into one of those emergency relief devices, so to speak, then there wouldn't be any room left over for... eh, never mind.

Hmmmm. Guess it might have something to do with the sensory deprivation you sub-types had to endure on those mullti-month cruises, but those of us in the aviation business didn't think of this as a "plug into" device. ;)

REWahoo! said:
Hmmmm.  Guess it might have something to do with the sensory deprivation you sub-types had to endure on those mullti-month cruises, but those of us in the aviation business didn't think of this as a "plug into" device. ;)
Good point. I think it has a lot to do with the size, longevity, reliability, and endurance of the power source...

Back on topic, I sure hope the current security hysteria settles down in the next month or two. We have to fly to Maui for a tae kwon do tournament in November, and I'm not looking forward to having to explain the $1700 knee braces in my carryon luggage. It might be easier to just wear the darn things through the checkpoint.

I leave tomorrow for a 3 week trip that includes 6 flights - I usually bring about 4 bottles of water with me on a flight and drink most of it (I have a fear of dehydration) so, this should be fun - and I can't even use the "refill" option after chugging at the airport!

Nords said:
Good point.  I think it has a lot to do with the size, longevity, reliability, and endurance of the power source...

Back on topic, I sure hope the current security hysteria settles down in the next month or two.  We have to fly to Maui for a tae kwon do tournament in November, and I'm not looking forward to having to explain the $1700 knee braces in my carryon luggage.  It might be easier to just wear the darn things through the checkpoint.

I have a CPAP machine for sleep apnea that I always take as carry on. It always causes some grief at the security area but I have never been denied it as a carry on despite it being a 8 pound machine with hoses, pumps and wires. I just tell them what it is before they run it through the X ray machine so they won't be too suprised when it shows up on their equipment as a device of interest.

SteveR,

Do you use the CPAP on the plane? Or do you just want to make durn sure it doesn't get lost in transit?

2Cor521

I don't use it on the plane but I have a friend that has one that runs on a battery and he uses it on long international flights. He would be dead without it.

I just want to make sure mine gets to where I am going when I get there. The airline is required to allow it to go with me as carry-on even if I already have 2 items already.

Ah. I read up on CPAPs for a while when I thought I might have apnea. I was amazed at how many people noticed the deleterious effects of sleeping without it even for a nap or one night.

I am glad the airplanes let you carry it on like that.

2Cor521

Back
Top Bottom