How long without a bathroom break?

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
When you next book a ticket with Ryanair, you might want to consider how much liquid you drink before you step on board – because there could be quite a queue for the toilets.

Or 'toilet', to be more precise.

Ever keen to cut costs and raise revenues, the budget airline has announced plans to remove two of the three lavatories from its planes - a move that it believes will allow space for up to six extra seats.

This could lead to the uncomfortable prospect of more than 200 people vying to get access to just one bathroom.

What will they think of next?

When you gotta go you gotta go. All it will take is a few soiled seats to reassess this decision.

The article says that the Ryanair's longest flight is four and a half hours. The other flights are shorter. So, just go right before and right after.

Then again, if the plane got stuck on the runway, there could be a riot. >:D

The article says that the Ryanair's longest flight is four and a half hours. The other flights are shorter. So, just go right before and right after.

I don't go to the movies anymore because I rarely can make it through 2+ hours without a bathroom break let alone 4 1/2 hours.

This could lead to the uncomfortable prospect of more than 200 people vying to get access to just one bathroom.
Welcome to the submarine force!

Well, OK, maybe it's not quite that bad-- 8-10 toilets for ~110 crewmembers. But it accurately describes a submarine "family day" cruise.

By the way in answer to your original question, six-hour watches. With lots and lots and lots of coffee.

"Excuse me stewardess, can I have a big tall glass of gin and tonic? Hold the gin, hold the tonic, and can you put a big funnel on top of the glass?"

And because supply of toilets will be so scarce, they can address the problem of "long lines" with the tried and true "market" solution -- swipe your credit card and for $10 you get three minutes in the loo. That would reduce the "demand" and sounds like something an airline would do these days; they've nickeled and dimed the traveler for almost everything else already...

Hehe, I guess woman don't have the same problems as men.:blush:
4 1/2 hours is a real push at this age.

no one seems willing to stick to a true price hike, thus all the added fees
This is even more pronounced in the cruise industry (one of the few left in the travel and hospitality industry that still pay commissions to agents). My wife sold cruises on the side for a little while, and this was a good way to reduce commissions they paid out. The commission was only paid out on the base fare, not on all the "add on" fees. So when they "raise fares" with junk fees, they lose none of it to commission.

That's not really the case in air travel any more. People are just used to paying $299 (or whatever) for a round trip coast to coast domestic flight, and if that means adding junk fees to keep the "advertised" $299 price that winds up being closer to $500 (especially if checking two bags both ways), so be it...

Airline seat of the future.....:rolleyes:

littlecolorado.jpg

Hehe, I guess woman don't have the same problems as men.:blush:
4 1/2 hours is a real push at this age.

That's true, now that you mention it - - guys do seem to feel the call of nature more often than do women. Either that, or else they flock to the bathrooms more frequently than we do in order to network, brainstorm, or whatever else goes on in there. :) 4 1/2 hours is not nearly as much a problem for me as using a dirty airplane bathroom. Eww.

Obviously, you do not have a prostate. If you did, you'd know there's no way to wait 4 and a half hours:D

What will they think of next?
Whatever will get publicity. This kind of story is just free advertising for Ryanair, and another "gee whiz" interest story for non-newspapers like the Daily Mail (the paper which claims that pretty much everything in the world either causes or cures cancer).

Another idea from a year or so back was to charge for the toilets. It wasn't serious, but it yanked everyone's chain (as it were) and got lots of lovely publicity. I suspect that Ryanair has a whole department whose job is to come up with outrageous things to troll the ever-gullible UK press with.

The 737-800 which Ryanair operates is licenced to carry 189 passengers, and that's not about to change. He can take out two of the toilets, but he can't carry 6 more pax.

That said, the toilets on a short-haul flight don't get a lot of use. For one thing, when you have to pay for your drinks and your bottle of water got taken off you at the gate, there's not much on the input side.

That's true, now that you mention it - - guys do seem to feel the call of nature more often than do women. Either that, or else they flock to the bathrooms more frequently than we do in order to network, brainstorm, or whatever else goes on in there. :) 4 1/2 hours is not nearly as much a problem for me as using a dirty airplane bathroom. Eww.

Yup, they are dirty, at least most of the time us guys don't have to sit down.:blush:

Wellll...my wife has to go as much if not more than I do. We can eat in a restaurant, and before we leave, while I'm paying (of course) she goes to the restroom. We can leave the restaurant and drive to a store, maybe 15 minutes to get there, and the first thing she does is say "I'll be right back" and makes tracks to the ladies room, again. :LOL:

So, I don't know about all that stuff about a woman going less than a man. Personally, since I was a teenager, I've had to go more frequently that most of my friends. I remember my best friend remarking when we were both 17 that I sure have to go alot. Fast forward to now, age ALMOST 54, and that hasn't changed. I can usually make it through the typical movie, but not always.

My normal night's sleep includes at least 2 or 3 trips to the bathroom. Just the way it is, I suppose. Oh yeah, I've had 2 Dr's tell me I have a small bladder. Nobody should confuse that with any of my other body parts, for example my feet or hands.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom