Best carpet cleaning machine?

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW wants a carpet cleaner that will do a good job on carpet and rugs.. any suggestions appreciated as to brand, model, etc...

I would use an extraction machine but not sure the best brand. I have used one rented from Home Depot that worked well.

I think it is very important to not use too much cleaner or water. I would not put cleaner through the machine. I would spray a carpet cleaning product on the carpet, Light mist, let it work for a little while, then extract.

If you have spots, spray the spot and scrub toward the center of the spot, in a circular motion toward the center. Pick up the spot with a rag by pressing straight down (no scrubbing) so you do not spread the spot. The spot remover will depend on the type of stain, water or petroleum based. It is likely that the carpet product will work on the spot. So, before purchasing a special spot cleaner, try the carpet cleaning product.

Hope this helps.

I've used the carpet cleaner rental at Lowes, Bissell Big Green, and very happy with the results. I think it sells for around $400 but I just rent it for $25/day, can easily do my house in half a day. Always shocked at how dirty the water in the extraction tank gets even when my carpets don't outwardly look dirty.

We have two machines that we use regularly. We do all the carpets once/yr and the heavy traffic areas twice per year using a Kenmore shampooer like this one:
Sears.com

Ours is 16 yrs old and it still works well but it leaks a bit. There have been several times I though this carpet is shot!, but this unit revived it. We were a household of 5 before 2 of the kids left. Out carpet was new when we moved into the house 16 years ago and we have not replaced any of it....it's off white! We bought the unit after borrowing one from a family member. The shampoo does build up in the carpet so every other year or so we go over the carpet with a Bissel Big Green <extraction> Machine. Sometimes we use cleaner in it but usually just hot water.
th

I use a Rug Doctor. Purchased at Sam's for $399.00. I use it in all my apartments, including the turn I did this evening.

I would hire one of those guys with a unit powered by their truck engine. It's about the only way the rug is going to get even a bit dry. And best of all, you don't have to store equipment for what usually an infrequent job.

Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom