Binding Arbitration - again

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Bringing this up again, because of some possible problems down the line. This time, not with Comcast :LOL: but because I've been receiving a number of notices lately from:
My insurance company
Two banks
Cell Phone
Doctor
Hospital
and maybe a few others, though I didn't pay much attention at the time.

NC 57 posted what I think is an excellent overview.
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/binding-arbitration-experience-69367.html#post1383154
What triggered the looking back, was the page that came up on my TV for Netflix, which included 106 on-line pages of details concerning their otherwise three page contract. My sons also received this, but as I expected skipped thru without looking. So now, today, I received a new adjusted contract for Comcast. the details are here:
file:///C:/Users/Bob/Downloads/ComcastArbitration.pdf

Note: the clause for "OPT OUT" which allows you to reserve the right to sue.
I do not see this as an option on my other "contracts", but Comcast apparently allow you to sign on and receive services without requiring the binding arbitration provision.

I know of no one who has actually challenged the legality of a company actions via binding arbitration, but who, like me decided to take a $1400 hit on tree damage rather than taking a chance on paying to file, losing the case, and having to pay the other party's fees.

It does bother me though... with the auto company's dropping much coverage and the house insurance almost down to the point where they'll only cover a direct hit by a 747... the legal protections for what we used to take for granted, have been brought low by corporate lawyers.

Anyway... am I the only one who sees my legal rights being abridged? As my momma used to say... "It only matters, when it matters."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom