Boat driving advice

If you can do this, it proves you are skilled at docking a boat*

The Boat Docker

*not a real boat of course, only a simulated one

I appreciate all the advice, and I definitely plan to get lessons. I'm just surprised at how hard they are to find. I'm doing the online safety course, but that's pretty worthless as far as actually controlling a boat. I do like the suggestion of hiring a captain to teach me. As far as getting a friend to go out with me and help, for some reason the experienced boaters are all like "it's easy, sure you can do it". I think they know so much and it's all so natural to them now that they can't understand my level of ignorance. I also like the idea of the simulator, although I've got to figure out how it works.

I did find a place that offers lessons down near my FL home. If worse comes to worst I'll wait and take the lessons down there next winter. But I'll try to find a captain here that I can hire. Thanks again for the advice. And be assured that I will do whatever it takes to be safe before I take my granddaughters out. I can be personally foolish but am very responsible with other's safety. Plus DW will demand proof of ability, since she doesn't particularly like boats and water.

I appreciate all the advice, and I definitely plan to get lessons. I'm just surprised at how hard they are to find. I'm doing the online safety course, but that's pretty worthless as far as actually controlling a boat. I do like the suggestion of hiring a captain to teach me. As far as getting a friend to go out with me and help, for some reason the experienced boaters are all like "it's easy, sure you can do it". I think they know so much and it's all so natural to them now that they can't understand my level of ignorance. I also like the idea of the simulator, although I've got to figure out how it works.

I did find a place that offers lessons down near my FL home. If worse comes to worst I'll wait and take the lessons down there next winter. But I'll try to find a captain here that I can hire. Thanks again for the advice. And be assured that I will do whatever it takes to be safe before I take my granddaughters out. I can be personally foolish but am very responsible with other's safety. Plus DW will demand proof of ability, since she doesn't particularly like boats and water.

Where do you live in Florida? I live in Hobe Sound (east coast) and my neighbor is a Captain and would teach you for an hourly fee.

My son has a CMA Deck Officer classmate whose first name is Channing who grew up and lives in FL. I think he is sailing a NOAA boat. He has a lot of hands-on experience go if you should come upon him hire him.

There is a difference between a 6-Pack licence and a merchant mariner's licence, the latter exam is the equivalent of a Bar Exam for lawyers.

Last edited:
I would also see what they have to offer... and if you do not see anything near you look for info on youtube...

The one thing that I hate the most is people who do not know who has the right of way... I have an 18ft boat and almost got hit by a 25 ft one because he did not know I had the right of way... I am not supposed to change my course when we are close to each other, but he decided to gun his engine and would have hit me in the side if I had not made a drastic turn...

Also remember there are no lanes.... people can be coming at you from 360 degrees... have to have your head on a swivel...

Rule #1: Always assume the other person doesn't know what they are doing.

I remember a long time ago being a passenger in a car with a friend. A truck coming the was merging into our lane. My friend said something about the truck not having the right of way and I responded "you're right, but you might soon be DEAD right".

I've had 4 boats and no lessons. But I did read a lot. Never a problem getting into the slip or docking, good to practice though and good to have small boats. All single outboards with steering wheel and gear/throttle lever and none over 19 feet.

No collisions, no dock damage, no drama. Boats are pretty easy.

Try this guy: stanmawyer.com

Nice guy, VERY qualified, and charges by the hour for lessons. He used to live and operate out of Ocean Pines, but I haven't talked to him in years. I used his services for exactly your purpose when we got our first boat. (We live in southern Delaware.) If you don't have a boat to use, he might be able to work something out for you.

I’ve had 3 pontoon boats over a 33 year period. Also on our HOA committee to ensure safety on our lakes. The key to safe pontooning is to go slow and stay out of the way of bigger, faster boats.

Try this guy: stanmawyer.com

Nice guy, VERY qualified, and charges by the hour for lessons. He used to live and operate out of Ocean Pines, but I haven't talked to him in years. I used his services for exactly your purpose when we got our first boat. (We live in southern Delaware.) If you don't have a boat to use, he might be able to work something out for you.

I think this is the winner. He's local, in business, qualified, and I think he's the father or uncle of a friend of mine. Next time you're in OC I owe you a beer.

Wow, small world! Keep that beer cold ... we won't trek down to OC 'til at least Labor Day -- our summer quest is to avoid the tourists as much as possible. Let us know how this works out!

After checking prices I'm also thinking about going with Midpack's suggestion of USPowerBoat's classes. It's a couple hours away, but I have friends I can stay with, and it will cost about 1/4 the amount. Plus I won't have to supply a boat. Then when I go down to FL I can also do a class there if I feel the need. Of course DW wouldn't go out in the water in FL with me even if I were Popeye the Sailor Man. Gators, sharks, stingrays, red tide. Not happening. But she'll go out here in the Assawoman Bay. Anyway, this is more to have fun with DD and DGDs.

But I'll still buy you that beer.

While there’s some truth to that, I’ve seen lots of boaters who go in too slow and get pushed sideways by wind and/or current before they’re in the slip. There’s a range of “right speed” depending on conditions, too fast and too slow are both bad.

And newbies sometimes forget that most powerboats (few have rudders) won’t steer if they’re out of gear - unlike a car. You go in under (forward) power, and finish in reverse, with very little time in neutral. Again, get lessons or go out with an experienced boater at least once.

https://www.boatingwithdawsons.com/...-your-fault-docking-power-boat-difficult.html

true. I've also seen folks go in faster than needed, in calm conditions, mis-time the reverse shift, and break stuff up. But you are correct, of course. When the winds and waves are playing with you, you need to be positive about power and course, and a lot of practice sure helps.
I was fortunate enough to start with a cheap, used boat, so nobody really noticed when I scratched it up, and I didn't care much.

I called my buddies that are interested in boating with me and asked them if they were interested in taking the class. They said no, the rental place they checked with said they would show them everything they need to know when they rent the boat. I can't imagine how that could be. I guess if you just need to cruise around, then get close enough that they can dock it for you, maybe. But I'm planning on taking kids out, and wouldn't be comfortable without more complete knowledge. I'm actually thinking of taking two sets of classes, one here on the Chesapeake Bay and another down in FL. Depends on how comfortable I feel after the first class. But I want to know more than just how to go forward and backward, and don't get stuck. I would like to not be having people cussing and shaking their fists at me for being an ignorant a-hole. Oh well, I've known my friends for a long time, and lazy is definitely a word I've used to describe them in the past.

Hang around a marina until you find someone who will help. Two or three hours of hands-on with a seasoned sailor, and you'll be giving lessons. Not that hard, but definitely different from driving a car.
The water rules are on line.
Best of luck... it'll be worth it! :)

Before a trip to the Florida Keys, the largest boat I had piloted was a 16' aluminum boat with a 25hp Johnson motor.

We rented a 25' bigger boat (inboard) in the Keys for a 1/2 day excursion. I got a 15 minute lesson using the GPS and controls. We then boated 7+ miles out in the ocean to the scuba reef. It did not make me a pro or even novice, but by the end, I had gained some confidence.

It is mostly common sense, understanding the controls and staying in deep enough water.

Houseboat training

Just got back from a houseboat vacation on Lake Cumberland (KY). The place we rented from had five short training videos that I watched before the trip but there were no experience requirements. My onsite training consisted of "how to start the engine", "how to start the generator", "how to transfer control between decks", "how to reset the generator circuit breaker if necessary", "how to tie up for the night", and navigation - "use a maps app on your phone". And this was a 81' houseboat that slept 14. I've had quite a bit of boating experience over the years so it was not a problem but I was a bit surprised how casual they were about turning over this big piece of marine equipment. Took some of our kids and grand kids (13 in all) and had a ball.

Cool trip misanman! I rented several in the a 75 foot range on Canada US border lakes. Great fun with the families. Like you, I had plenty of boating experience, just not quite on boats that big. But they rent to anyone. Of course people run the boats up on rocks (lakes there are not marked super well), and people tear up props and lower units. But that's why they force you to buy insurance. And they bill you for pulling you off a rock.

We just took a 3 hr private lesson on a sailboat (WindRider 17 trimaran) in Anna Maria Island. It was phenomenal and the instructor Brian was awesome! If you are interested in learning sailing I highly recommend you check it out when you are back here in FL.

Home | Bimini Bay Sailing, Sailboat Rentals, Sailing Lessons, Anna Maria, Florida

They also have a local sailing meetup group that I joined. We can rent a boat each time we go. We are looking forward to building our skills, making new friends, and boating with others who can give us tips as we progress.

The boating community is fabulous. From the outside I used to have a perception of mony and arrogance but have since realized its the nicest group of people so friendly always willing to help another sailor.

Which is ironic since usbsailors ans boaters are constacntly breaking ****, getting in and out of situations and constantly facing adversity.

Just showing up to the dock takes work... Lol love it though. We sail a 26M McGregor. Look up Yachting With Grandys on youtube if you want to see the fun. I document our memories.

We just took a 3 hr private lesson on a sailboat (WindRider 17 trimaran) in Anna Maria Island. It was phenomenal and the instructor Brian was awesome! If you are interested in learning sailing I highly recommend you check it out when you are back here in FL.

Home | Bimini Bay Sailing, Sailboat Rentals, Sailing Lessons, Anna Maria, Florida

They also have a local sailing meetup group that I joined. We can rent a boat each time we go. We are looking forward to building our skills, making new friends, and boating with others who can give us tips as we progress.

Cool cool cool! I'd love to learn to sail! First I'm going to learn on power boats, but I've already been thinking about sailing. Sadly DW is not a boat person, and has already told me she's not going out in FL. Too many creatures in the water for her. Now that they're pulling gators out of the Gulf she's even less likely to go. But if you need ballast or an overage cabin boy, let me know.

Cool cool cool! I'd love to learn to sail! First I'm going to learn on power boats, but I've already been thinking about sailing.

Better to start with a small sail- or outboard-powered dinghy, or anything which you steer with a tiller. The point is, you get used to how a boat really handles by physically sitting at the back and moving the tiller (or outboard handle.) A steering wheel removes you from what's really going on.

People who "get" how to use a tiller generally do fine when they move up to something bigger. And of course, learning to sail on a small rig that's easy to handle and see the effect of every change, makes it easy to move up to a more complicated rig.

My first boat;

15378648521_b493a1ef93_o.jpg

Number 5 will be here in a year - :)

Cool cool cool! I'd love to learn to sail! First I'm going to learn on power boats, but I've already been thinking about sailing. Sadly DW is not a boat person, and has already told me she's not going out in FL. Too many creatures in the water for her. Now that they're pulling gators out of the Gulf she's even less likely to go. But if you need ballast or an overage cabin boy, let me know.

You got it! These trimarans can hold up to 4 people (2 in the center hull, 2 on each trampoline with bleacher seats). They are very fun to ride on!

OK, so here I am, 62 years old and I've never driven a boat (other than a kayak or canoe). I've been out on them a number of times, but always as a passenger. But I'd like to be able to rent a boat, probably starting with a pontoon party boat in the bay, and take my family out for a nice time. I know about the boating safety courses and plan to take one, but what about the actual operation of the boat? Do I need to take a course? And if so, how can I find one? I live right on the shore of the Atlantic in MD, and I haven't been able to find a boating operation course anywhere within an hour's drive. I checked the Coast Guard Auxiliary, BoatUS, and USPowerBoating.com, and nobody seems to teach the actual operation of a boat. So maybe I should just rent one and take it out and figure it out? I did teach myself how to drive a stick shift as a teen, so maybe that's the way to go. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions y'all might have.

This is a good book:

Powerboat Handling Illustrated: How to Make Your Boat Do Exactly What You Want It to Do Paperback – January 10, 2007
by Robert J. Sweet

But as many have said, there is no substitute for on the water training and experience.

Back
Top Bottom