Safe Driving Class

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Auto insurance rates in my state have skyrocketed this year. The state insurance commission has approved rate increases in the area of 25%. This is after other rate increases in the past two years.

One way to fight back is to take a Safe Driver course for senior citizens. There are many approved courses in my home state. I chose the AAA online course that costs $25.

After about 10 hours of work, I completed my course and sent the information to my insurance company. The result is an $100 year decrease in my premiums. And, I must admit I am more aware of situations that might cause a collisions than I was before taking the course.

Every little bit helps.

I wouldn't spend 10 hours to save $75. Time is far more valuable than money.

Then again, if the course saves you from a fatal car crash, it's priceless.

In Texas, if you get a traffic ticket, you can take a defensive drivers safety course and they will dismiss the ticket. (I think you can do that once a year) Then you can submit the safe driving paper work to your insurance company for a discount. Get a ticket, get a discount. Crazy... Don't ask me how I know! :blush:

My home state of New York is one of the few states which allow drivers of all ages to take the accident prevention (defensive driver) course and get a 10% discount on most of our insurance premium.

I remember back in 1986 in the months before I would take the course for the first time (I just bought my first car) seeing a notice come across my desk (I worked in the actuarial field, personal auto insurance) about New York extending its defensive driving course discount to apply to Collision, which meant nearly my entire premium (Bodily Injury, Property Damage, and No-Fault were already counted) would get the discount. And as a 23-year-old single male, I was paying through the nose for insurance, so getting 10% off the expensive Collision coverage was very helpful.

I have taken the course every 3 years since 1986, the last time in 2022. I can't say I have learned much in the classes. Some years they were okay. Other years they were pretty awful, like in 2010 when the instructor was using materials dated 1994!. But saving between $200 and $350 every 3 years for a ~$50 investment and 6 hours of my time has been well worth it.

In Texas, if you get a traffic ticket, you can take a defensive drivers safety course and they will dismiss the ticket. (I think you can do that once a year) Then you can submit the safe driving paper work to your insurance company for a discount. Get a ticket, get a discount. Crazy... Don't ask me how I know! :blush:

Funny related, I graduated from traffic school many times before I actually graduated from college. Six times in 5 years, back then the various counties did not have a state-wide database; so whether the policy was once every 2 years, or once per year, I was eligible. It was just 8 hours of classroom equivalent jail time ("don't speed, wear your seatbelt, don't drink and drive, practice defensive driving"), but saved the points on license and corresponding insurance rate increase.

I wouldn't spend 10 hours to save $75. Time is far more valuable than money.

Then again, if the course saves you from a fatal car crash, it's priceless.

Seems like the course saves $75 the first year, then $100 each year going forward. If the $100 per year discount is forever, the math is a bit more favorable.

Chuckanut, Can you share what was covered about being careful as it relates to pedestrians and cyclists? For example, most states now have a distance rule for passing bicyclists, was that included in your training? As well as being extra careful at intersections and driveways since these are the places where vulnerable road users are stuck most often? I hear that these types of things are covered in training sessions now but have not had the opportunity to ask someone fresh out of the class to hear what was actually taught concerning vulnerable road users. Thanks

BTW, I think it is great you took the course. Refreshing on driving habits might help save a life.

Auto insurance rates in my state have skyrocketed this year. The state insurance commission has approved rate increases in the area of 25%. This is after other rate increases in the past two years.

One way to fight back is to take a Safe Driver course for senior citizens. There are many approved courses in my home state. I chose the AAA online course that costs $25.

After about 10 hours of work, I completed my course and sent the information to my insurance company. The result is an $100 year decrease in my premiums. And, I must admit I am more aware of situations that might cause a collisions than I was before taking the course.

Every little bit helps.

!

Chuckanut, Can you share what was covered about being careful as it relates to pedestrians and cyclists? For example, most states now have a distance rule for passing bicyclists, was that included in your training? As well as being extra careful at intersections and driveways since these are the places where vulnerable road users are stuck most often? I hear that these types of things are covered in training sessions now but have not had the opportunity to ask someone fresh out of the class to hear what was actually taught concerning vulnerable road users. Thanks

BTW, I think it is great you took the course. Refreshing on driving habits might help save a life.

Lots of samples of situations where an unexpected event triggers collision. IOW, assume people do foolish things: the lady is walking her dog, the dog sees a cat, and the lady and the dog end up on the road in front of your car. The cat gets away.

There were guidelines for following distances - the 4 second rule. And instruction on visibility to the front, sides, and back of the vehicle. Also, warnings on things like tires, which lose a lot of stopping power well before the replacement markings show on the tread. Rules on merging such as never force someone in the lane to have to change anything to let you in. And how to use traffic circles. Also tips on how to get safely back onto the road if you are run off the road for some reason. Right of way tips, but again, never force the right-of-way even if you have it.

Oh, you can be convicted of a DUI in many states even if the source of the UI is a legally prescribed drug. It doesn’t have to be alcohol or street drugs.

And don’t forget that as you age your reaction time, vision and hearing are not as good as they used to be. In some ways older drivers are no better than teenagers. That’s a scary thought.

Cell phone usage - Just don’t use it. No calls. No texts. Period.
The odds of a collision skyrocket even under the best conditions of using a phone.

I was "forced" to take a class at work when I was traveling a lot for them. I was surprised it was useful - one of the better learnings was something like 80% of accidents are from backing out of a parking space - no injuries here, but car damages. First choice is to find a pull through spot. Second is back into a space instead of backing out. Both result in less time parking (we timed it).

Still surprised this isn't common knowledge.

My husband completed the course this morning and I started it this afternoon. Our premium is coming due & we need to re-take every 2 years to maintain the discount. I think this is our 4th or 5th time taking a course. I have always found these courses to be good refreshers. In addition, I learn something new every time as the recommendations change. For example, I've been driving with my hands at 9 & 3 for several years now instead of the 10 & 2 we learned in high school driver's ed thanks to a previous course. Also, I had learned about the correct rearview mirror positions before but gave up on them because they didn't feel right compared to what I had been taught back in the day. But this course (AAA) did a much better job of explaining & showing the why, so I'm going to reposition my rearview mirrors again and give myself more time to get used to it.

Every little bit helps.

Interesting. Didn’t know that that might be an option. I guess I’ll have to ask my insurance agent for TX options.

This I did know about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom