Bruised my RV and my pride...

NW Bound, I would suggest you take the camper to the closest campground to you and spend a night in it. Other campers can answer any silly question you might have as a newbie and you will quickly figure out if anything is wrong, how things work, and what items you might want aboard for comfort and convenience. And if it is a disaster, you can just come home.

There is so much on the Internet and I have learned a lot there. There are also particular things about my RV that I need to find out for myself. I have time before our first travel, and I like to do research on the Web. I may still need help later, but I will be more prepared, like bringing my own leveling blocks, knowing to build up some "head pressure" in the black tank before dumping, etc...

Just learn the "ice cubes in the black tank" trick too, but let's not scare RV'er wannabes here :)

PS. Oh, I forgot to add that despite all the preparations, we will not head out to Alaska on our first trip, but try some places closer to home first. There are places in AZ I have not been to anyway.

Gotcha - you could use a dolly that many use that have the front wheels lifted, but then maybe the rear bumper would be too low to the ground etc.
A tow dolly is really a nuisance in the RV world, at least to me. It is heavy and cumbersome, requires a separate storage lot (and fee) at many campgrounds, has to be stowed and stored at home. Then you have to attach the dolly to the motorhome, than the TOAD to the dolly.

Dinghy towing (all 4 wheels down) can be done with special lightweight hitches that can be left attached and which take only a few minutes to hook up.

I like my Prius but not that much ;). I'll look at the Fit and similar cars, and even take a look at a mini-coopers which would be more expensive but also more fun to drive, esp with a stick shift (my Prius is my first car ever without a stick).

About the sewer hose, I still have not checked that out on my RV. I have a sewer clean-out in my front yard that I will try to get or make hose adapter for.
Our sewer clean-out at our previous house was pretty much the same as the sewer connections at many campgrounds, so we were able to use it with the standard hose and connectors we used with our trailer.

Audrey

Oh...I'm sorry you've got a boo boo....:(

...I know you must have a Bandaid somewhere...:flowers:

So which campground did you stay at? (I believe I misunderstood your other thread -- I was thinking something completely different when you said "Resort.")

Anyway, I come down on the side of those advising you to ignore the damage -- unless rust is a concern. I would repair it only if it improves the resale value and, even then, only at the time you decide to dispose of it.
We stayed at Blue Water Key, mm 15 on the Oversea. Beautiful landscaping, on the water, and 21 of 80 owned sites were for sale, in the $300k to $900k range. I drove around your namesake park, Boyds, and found it to be very well maintained, a bit crowded, but maybe more fun and energetic than BWK. Certainly close to down town.

Re: the repair, I'll probably let the insurance company take care of it. Some day we'll sell or trade it, and I don't even want it coming up as an issue.

We stayed at Blue Water Key, mm 15 on the Oversea. Beautiful landscaping, on the water, and 21 of 80 owned sites were for sale, in the $300k to $900k range.
Holy cow! Makes me feel like I got a bargain down here - with a house included in our price!

OK - well, we're not in the Florida keys...... But I can be in South Padre Island in 80 miles on the expressway!

Audrey

That much for a place to park! Just like some places in Palm Springs I have seen on TV and chuckled at.

NW Bound, I would suggest you take the camper to the closest campground to you and spend a night in it. Other campers can answer any silly question you might have as a newbie and you will quickly figure out if anything is wrong, how things work, and what items you might want aboard for comfort and convenience. And if it is a disaster, you can just come home.
Agree, a shakedown cruise is absolutely the way to go. And I'd stay two nights if possible. Cook in at least two meals, run the air, and the heat, stoves, everything. And take a few hours to hike, swim or something else fun -- it feels great to come back to the RV after recreating.

We did our last one at Lazy Days' own campground. Made 3 runs to the Camping World next door for various odds and ends we'd forgotten or didn't know we needed (like plastic brush-type welcome mats). And to top it off we had brunch at Cracker Barrel, a known RV-friendly restaurant where you will often find over-nighters in oversized lots in the back.

Our sewer clean-out at our previous house was pretty much the same as the sewer connections at many campgrounds, so we were able to use it with the stander hose and connectors we used with our trailer.

Mine might be the same. I simply have not gotten around to it, preferring to checkout the power converter, tracing through the wirings, messing with the generator first. Yep, at some point, just have to put gloves on and deal with it...

I have never bought water softener additives to use for laundry, but it makes sense. Thanks.

I just make sure to buy "septic tank friendly" TP - usually Angelsoft. Put it in a closed glass jar with some water and shake and see it come apart - it's quite reassuring.

Occasionally I put some Calgon water softener in the black tank - it's supposed to help "clean" the walls. Our RV comes with a tank rinse system for flushing both black and gray tanks. DH uses it every time he dumps.

Audrey

Our RV comes with a tank rinse system for flushing both black and gray tanks. DH uses it every time he dumps.
Audrey

Giving a whole new meaning to the phrase "taking a dump". :whistle:

Rich, so sorry to hear you scraped your baby (RV)! I would vote for getting it fixed at a good body shop. It's only going to cost you $500 or less and then the aggravation will only be a memory.

Also, a good friend at w*rk bought a Honda Fit and absolutely loves it. It carries a phenomenal amount, apparently, and gets great mileage.

Alan said:
I don't like the thought of getting too familiar with my own sewage

At last! Someone who agrees with me. Alan, that is one of several reasons why I will never buy an RV. There are many ways to spend my time and money that I find more appealing.

At last! Someone who agrees with me. Alan, that is one of several reasons why I will never buy an RV. There are many ways to spend my time and money that I find more appealing.

Wait! There is a basic "failure to communicate" here. "We" don't have any desire to play in sewage and, in fact, get no closer to it really than people in stick houses do when cleaning that receptacle in the bathroom. Nobody would refuse to live in a house because the bathroom was indoors, I wouldn't think.

In any event, it is not something that takes up an inordinate amount of time -- same as in a "normal" living arrangement.

this thread is useless without pics !!

sorry to hear bout the dent!

"We" don't have any desire to play in sewage and, in fact, get no closer to it...
:ROFLMAO:

When my nieces saw our RV, and I demonstrated how we can have 3 beds, a kitchen, a refrigerator, a microwave, a stove, hot water, own generator, AND a bathroom, both a 10-yr old and a 25-yr old asked "But, but, where does IT go?".

I should, but couldn't keep a straight face when saying "It goes out on the ground!". :ROFLMAO: Anyone who has taken train travel knows what I am talking about. :ROFLMAO:

Anyhoo, there were millions before me who could do this, and I am sure I will be able to. And if I can do it, W2R, [-]you[/-] Frank too can do it. :ROFLMAO:

Wait! There is a basic "failure to communicate" here. "We" don't have any desire to play in sewage and, in fact, get no closer to it really than people in stick houses do when cleaning that receptacle in the bathroom. Nobody would refuse live in a house because the bathroom was indoors, I wouldn't think.
Well, actually this was a real concern that people had at first! Some folks thought having an in-house bathroom (toilet) rather than the good ole outhouse was seriously unsanitary!

Yep, if you want to enjoy RVing, you have to get over this hurdle. It's not that big a deal, but if it keeps you from RVing - so be it.

Audrey

Regarding RIT's mishap and about maneuvering through state or Forest Service land, I don't see class A owners being able to do it. I probably did the right thing by getting a class C. For me an A is just too big, and a B feels small.

I am writing this down to see if after logging some travel I would change my mind and wish I bought something smaller or bigger. In reading blogs, I have seen people move both ways, to a bigger RV as well downsizing. Some hardy boondockers with a van camper, which does not even look comfortable to me compared to a B, wished they had a truck camper so they can tackle really rough roads. I guess there are no right or wrong RVs, and one has to know his/her travel style.

...we'll have less crowded campsites? :)

Just as a check on the mechanics of planning an RV trek, I looked into beach-side parks ran by cities or states along the West Coast. My, they are booked solid for several months. It looks like impromptu trips may not work out like one might think.

May I show you my mishap from the winter before last?

img_911833_0_31ae2c1eb11f8bc0d3ab0ad581b8e396.jpg

Look up Martha!

More than three thousand dollars later (actually, $500 from the deductible) it looked like new.

Back
Top Bottom