Well Pump Replacement

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our well pump quit working Tuesday night (Feb 13th). My wife turned on a faucet and nothing came out. I checked a few simple things and didn't see anything obvious, so we called a well company to come track down the cause.

A technician showed up the next day (Happy Valentines Day) and confirmed the pump was locked up. Not good news, but after 32+ years it wasn't necessarily a surprise either. We knew it's days were numbered, we just thought we would have a little more time.

Anyway, we scheduled to have the pump replaced the next day. It took two guys a bit over two hours to pull out the old pump, prepare the new pump/pipe/electrical, and get everything back in the well. We had water again by noon, and after two days without showers and filling toilet tanks with jugs of water, we were thrilled.

They shocked the well with bleach and 24 hours later the water in our house still wreaks of chlorine. I've been running water like crazy to try and flush it out, but at this point the water is not drinkable and showers are a bit harsh (smells like a public swimming pool). Hopefully it clears up soon.

I installed the original pump myself over 32 years ago and had hoped to do the replacement myself too. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a pump locally and knew it would be a hassle to gather all the necessary supplies in a timely manner. So we opted to hire the job out to the pro's instead, something I really struggled with personally. As someone who always fixes things myself, I felt like I was failing by hiring someone else to do the job. Still, I'm glad the problem was fixed quickly and I didn't even need to get dirty. :)

Unfortunately, the pump replacement cost over $4100 between the initial diagnosis and the second replacement trip. That was major sticker shock, considering our well is only 80 feet deep with a 1/2 HP pump. The company had good reviews, handled everything quickly, and were pleasant to work with, but I can't help but feel we got burned on the pricing a bit. They did not provide any price breakdown for the job, but the installer said the pump itself was only $1100, so I'm not sure what that other $3000 went to. While we can handle the $4100 expense, we weren't expecting anywhere close to that. Knowing I could have bought all the materials for around $2000 or so, only bums me out more that I didn't do the work myself.

Our well pump quit working Tuesday night (Feb 13th). My wife turned on a faucet and nothing came out. I checked a few simple things and didn't see anything obvious, so we called a well company to come track down the cause.

A technician showed up the next day (Happy Valentines Day) and confirmed the pump was locked up. Not good news, but after 32+ years it wasn't necessarily a surprise either. We knew it's days were numbered, we just thought we would have a little more time.

Anyway, we scheduled to have the pump replaced the next day. It took two guys a bit over two hours to pull out the old pump, prepare the new pump/pipe/electrical, and get everything back in the well. We had water again by noon, and after two days without showers and filling toilet tanks with jugs of water, we were thrilled.

They shocked the well with bleach and 24 hours later the water in our house still wreaks of chlorine. I've been running water like crazy to try and flush it out, but at this point the water is not drinkable and showers are a bit harsh (smells like a public swimming pool). Hopefully it clears up soon.

I installed the original pump myself over 32 years ago and had hoped to do the replacement myself too. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a pump locally and knew it would be a hassle to gather all the necessary supplies in a timely manner. So we opted to hire the job out to the pro's instead, something I really struggled with personally. As someone who always fixes things myself, I felt like I was failing by hiring someone else to do the job. Still, I'm glad the problem was fixed quickly and I didn't even need to get dirty. :)

Unfortunately, the pump replacement cost over $4100 between the initial diagnosis and the second replacement trip. That was major sticker shock, considering our well is only 80 feet deep with a 1/2 HP pump. The company had good reviews, handled everything quickly, and were pleasant to work with, but I can't help but feel we got burned on the pricing a bit. They did not provide any price breakdown for the job, but the installer said the pump itself was only $1100, so I'm not sure what that other $3000 went to. While we can handle the $4100 expense, we weren't expecting anywhere close to that. Knowing I could have bought all the materials for around $2000 or so, only bums me out more that I didn't do the work myself.

what pump is it ? the company i do work for sells , manufactures and repairs pumps ..i am curious what the make and model is

So, about $2,000 for their overhead and labor. Not cheap but does not sound all that bad. Hey, it's done and presumably guaranteed. :cool:

Was the pressure tank replaced, too? If it's 30+ years old, replace it before it bursts.

I had to go thru same for our semi-rural property a year or two ago. Don't recall the cost, but think it was in the zip code of what you're talking. Took two technicians two days, but I have a VERY deep well. Same issue with the chlorine in the water, took about a week before there was no longer any hint of smell. Was ok enough to shower after a day or two, but we drank bottled water for a couple weeks just to be sure.

Anyhow, if parts were at least $2K, then I'd say you did not get ripped off. At any rate, don't sweat it. Guessing this stage of your life, you have the $$$, let the professionals handle it. Everything costs too much these days, but sometimes it just costs what it costs, not gonna break the bank, worth it to avoid the hassle and learning curve.

If you got 32 years out of that pump you did very well. Everything is crazy priced these days and really some of the professional labors can charge really any price they want.

Wow! We had a local company replace ours in 2018 for $800. Well was 160 feet deep. That included replacing the check valve too.

Last edited:
So your well pump made it 32(!) years and you had to shell out $4,100 for a replacement? Sheer luxury!

I've had to replace ours every 8 to 10 years and the last time (2021) the bill was $4,300. I suppose the fact you are only at 80 feet helps longevity. My pump is at 640 ft which obviously causes a lot of wear and tear.

I just spent $17K to replace an agricultural well pump. Same age, roughly. Divide the money it cost by the amount of time it worked well and you will realize you got your money's worth.

Generally speaking, it is reasonable to expect any job like that to be half labor and half materials. Obviously if you do it yourself yo save the labor. So if parts would have been $2000, I would consider $4100 to be in line.

Looking at it another way, you paid about $2100 in labor for 2 trips, one was 1 guy(?) and probably an hour including travel time and the second was 2 techs for, say 3 hours. So that is 7 man-hours which works out to be $300/hour. That seems a little steep but you may have paid a premium for urgent service.

Just remember, one of your most versatile tools is your checkbook!

As others have said, if your pressure tank is 32 years old you should replace it! A bad pressure tank can cause the pump to cycle too much and damage the pump. Replacing the pressure tank should be something you can do yourself in an hour or so.

I don't have a well but I do have catchment water which uses similar hardware. $2000 for a 1/2 hp pump seems high. Mine is 3/4 hp Grundfos and cost about $800 plus labor to replace about 5 years ago. I'm seeing a wide range in prices for the same size submersible pump from Grundfos, from about $800 to over $2500.

All in all, it does not seem like you got ripped off but may have paid a premium for emergency service.

April 2023, replaced a 25 yo 1 hp well pump. Also replaced 10, 21 ft lengths of pipe @ $100 each. Pump sits at 430 feet so we only replaced what had been in water for 25 years. Total $3350 Grundfos 7510-19 well ump Amazon $1200.

the company i do training for , manufactures the POWERFLO line of pumps

They shocked the well with bleach and 24 hours later the water in our house still wreaks of chlorine. I've been running water like crazy to try and flush it out,

I hope your not running extra water into your septic system. Even with normal house use with that water I would add some treatment (Yeast) once it clears up. We deal with the bleach smell in our camper after treating the water tank.

Everything is crazy priced these days

4 years ago we bought a cheap shallow well pump mounted on a pressure tank for the old well here.... so you made me look. We paid $329 for both, Now just the pump is $479. Same Tractor Supply Store.

Old Medic.. I use this Acquaer. I have only had my shallow well for 5 years but the 1/2 HP still running fine. I don't use or need a pressure tank so that cuts cost though. I use it about 25 to 28 hours a week for about 7 months. When I bought one 5 years ago it 92$ so last year I thought I bettah get a spare and paid 98$. I see now it is <130$.
https://acquaer.com/collections/shallow-well-jet-pump

Wow! We had a local company replace ours in 2018 for $800. Well was 160 feet deep. That included replacing the check valve too.

I'll see if I can find a record, but our well was ~ 160', and I seem to recall ~ $1200 to replace it, pump, labor, and new wires (10, maybe 15 years ago?). We got ~ 15~20 years on the original pump, IIRC expected life isn't much more than 10 years - I'm surprised he got >30 out of his.

But what did 'two trips' involve? If OP is far from their home base, that might be a significant charge to tie up their workers and truck/equipment.

After seeing the effort to raise it, disconnect the pipe, about 15 times, and then redo it all to get it back in, it's not a job I would care to do myself.

-ERD50

what pump is it ? the company i do work for sells , manufactures and repairs pumps ..i am curious what the make and model is

It looks like they installed a Franklin 10JRD05S4-3W230 pump. They didn't give me any choice in the matter, it's just what they installed. I wouldn't even have known what they put in except I "stole" the manual and took photos since they were just throwing them away.

Like I said, prompt and good work, but horrible (non-existent) price breakdown.

It looks like they installed a Franklin 10JRD05S4-3W230 pump. They didn't give me any choice in the matter, it's just what they installed. I wouldn't even have known what they put in except I "stole" the manual and took photos since they were just throwing them away.

Like I said, prompt and good work, but horrible (non-existent) price breakdown.

They really ought to give you those manuals and stuff. They are your property you paid for. No doubt they ignore the product warranty too. :angel:

They really ought to give you those manuals and stuff. They are your property you paid for. No doubt they ignore the product warranty too. :angel:

When my pump was installed I asked for the paperwork and was told that they like to keep it for the one year warranty. It is a family business and I know everyone so I let it slide. Meanwhile I had already taken photos of everything important.

So, about $2,000 for their overhead and labor. Not cheap but does not sound all that bad. Hey, it's done and presumably guaranteed. :cool:

It's just a really hard thing for me to accept emotionally. With very few exceptions we have always built and fixed EVERYTHING ourselves. We built our home, built our cabinets and furniture, repair our cars, plumbing, electrical, etc. The only things we hired out were things we didn't have the equipment or skills to do, such as tires and alignment on the cars, or the slab in our garage (took 6 guys to do that one).

A couple years ago we paid to have some trees taken down. It was something we technically could have done, but there were some challenges that we chose just to hire out (another $4000 bill). I didn't regret that choice.

However, the pump replacement was something I COULD have done. I installed the first one, I certainly could have replaced it. If I could have just run down to the store and picked up the parts I needed I probably would have. But the urgent nature, cold weather (34 and snowing), and lack of available parts is why we hired it out.

Honestly, it's a life transition I'm finding hard to deal with. I knew a day would come when I would have to hire out things out I could do myself, but I didn't think it would come so soon (I'm only 60!).

It also sucks that we have had a few major expenses like this in our first year of retirement. I had planned for these types of expenses, but thought they would be a few years out. I swear since we retired something has broken every week or two. On well, I guess we won't have to worry about them for a few years. :)

I hope your not running extra water into your septic system.

Hmm... I had not thought of that. I tried to dump as much cold water as possible through the outside faucets, but the hot water lines are taking longer to clear. Those dump into our septic system.

Your post number 22 is actually part of the problem. When you fix everything yourself is very hard to grasp the concept of what hiring someone to fix it actually costs.

It costs money and it will take you awhile to get comfortable with that. After 50 years of marriage we are at the point right now. No one can ever do it as cheaply as you can!!!!

Your post number 22 is actually part of the problem. When you fix everything yourself is very hard to grasp the concept of what hiring someone to fix it actually costs.

It costs money and it will take you awhile to get comfortable with that. After 50 years of marriage we are at the point right now. No one can ever do it as cheaply as you can!!!!

Yep, there is definitely sticker shock paying others to do work, both due to paying labor costs and basic inflation. Even if I replaced the pump myself it would have cost $1200 for the pump. That's a big jump from the $300 I paid for a better pump 30+ years ago. :)

Back
Top Bottom