Bruised my RV and my pride...

Yes, I do remember reading about this (I spent too much time here!). It was caused by a roof overhang, right? (Pat myself on back for having some memory facility left). As I have often written, I do careful study of things I have no experiences in, to learn from others mistakes and not for schadenfreude reasons.

Rich, Sorry to hear about your mishap. We have all had them. Ours was a lesson in how to secure an awning early on. I learned to always be sure one side is much lower than the other and the front is much lower than the part attached to the camper. I also use awning stakes now. A storm came up one night on our third trip and filled the awning with water. It collapsed breaking the supports and retractor. $800 later and two hours to put the new one on I would know better next time.

Also always carry a spare and a good jack and wrench to change a flat. Did that in Utah this summer. The tire blew going down the interstate but I had prepared for this and was able to pull over and change it with no trouble.

Sorry for the accident Rich. Don't feel too bad. My old neighbor that never drove anything bigger than a large car, bought a 40' coach.The dealer must have sensed that he would'nt be able to drive it offered to deliver it to his house. My neighbor decided to get his feet wet right away. He pulled up to the street from the lot and made quite a hard right turn into a parked car on the corner and then dragged the coach down the entire length catching every compartment in the process.Hows that for christing your new toy. I didn't know that you bought a new rv. What did you get. Best of future luck with it, Jerry:cool:

Regarding RIT's mishap and about maneuvering through state or Forest Service land, I don't see class A owners being able to do it. I probably did the right thing by getting a class C. For me an A is just too big, and a B feels small.
But many Class C's are 8.5 ft (102 inches) wide - the max width allowed. Same as a Class A with the slides in. They are just usually not quite as tall and not as long. But many of the hitting stuff issues has to do with the width, although the turning corners stuff is definitely harder in a longer Class A.

Audrey

There is so much on the Internet and I have learned a lot there. There are also particular things about my RV that I need to find out for myself. I have time before our first travel, and I like to do research on the Web. I may still need help later, but I will be more prepared, like bringing my own leveling blocks, knowing to build up some "head pressure" in the black tank before dumping, etc...

Just learn the "ice cubes in the black tank" trick too, but let's not scare RV'er wannabes here :)

PS. Oh, I forgot to add that despite all the preparations, we will not head out to Alaska on our first trip, but try some places closer to home first. There are places in AZ I have not been to anyway.

NW-B,
How about a weekend trip to Kartchner Caverns State Park- they have very acessible RV friendly hookups, the cave is incredible, and it's far enough away that you should be able to have a good shakedown cruise without worrying about the weather, like a trip up to the Rim ;) ... maybe a side trip in the toad to Bisbee or Tombstone.

Just be careful, my brother's maiden RV cruise involved dragging the "turd tube" behind the RV in rush hour traffic on the 1-5 in Southern California- he was amazed at how friendly everyone that passed him was, all waving to him in his shiny new RV... :LOL:

Just be careful, my brother's maiden RV cruise involved dragging the "turd tube" behind the RV in rush hour traffic on the 1-5 in Southern California- he was amazed at how friendly everyone that passed him was, all waving to him in his shiny new RV... :LOL:
Oh no! :2funny::2funny::2funny::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So Rich, can't you just paint on a little rustoleum or something and leave the dent be for now? Seems like you will get a lot of those little suckers over the RV's life. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to spruce them all up at once before you sell?

RIT, as a medical professional, you should be well aware of the proper course of treatment for minor scrapes and abrasions:

Attachments

• auto-inset.jpg
    auto-inset.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 54
So Rich, can't you just paint on a little rustoleum or something and leave the dent be for now? Seems like you will get a lot of those little suckers over the RV's life. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to spruce them all up at once before you sell?
Dunno. It can get hard to match color and decals as time passes, I'm told. Little scratches and scars I could wait on, but the cargo door might leak in a heavy rain if it doesn't fit quite right from the dent, etc.

I haven't put in a claim on a vehicle policy in 44 years of driving. Maybe I'm due.

Dunno. It can get hard to match color and decals as time passes, I'm told. Little scratches and scars I could wait on, but the cargo door might leak in a heavy rain if it doesn't fit quite right from the dent, etc.
I agree to get it done now - you could end up having some "issues" with your insurance company if you delay for too long.

As to the likelyhood of further major dings, dents and scrapes in the future, the possibility they will occur is far from certain. My rig is coming up on its ninth birthday and has only one moderate ding where the original owner had a run-in with a tree limb and indented a small section of the metal cap joining the roof and sidewall. He never had it repaired and I haven't bothered to do so either as it is 1) not very visible, 2) aluminum and not going to rust, and 3) an ongoing reminder of what can happen if you don't look both up and back when moving in reverse. :cool:

I haven't put in a claim on a vehicle policy in 44 years of driving. Maybe I'm due.
Yeah, Rich - I'd go ahead and get it fixed if it were me. Yes - you are due!

I almost killed my DH a couple of years ago. We were at the factory for service and DH pointed out several of the RVs with their dented cargo bay doors and said "Wow, look honey, you haven't made any of those booboos!". Then he saw the murder in my eyes when I glared at him. I'm superstitious when it comes to tempting fate!!!! It's just a matter of time. We do have a few scratches, however and some very near misses in spite of extreme vigilance. It really can't be helped.

Audrey

Yeah, Rich - I'd go ahead and get it fixed if it were me. Yes - you are due!
I'm superstitious when it comes to tempting fate!!!! It's just a matter of time.

Audrey

Whenever I would hear about people driving their vehicles in their pajamas, I would always say that I would never do that because I would be sure to be in an accident. Well, one time I drove with my pajamas on and guess who was in a car accident. It was the only car accident that was my fault and I think that my subconcious mind thought that I should be in one.

Sorry to hear of your accident Rich. I am glad to hear that you had such a great time in the Keys and that your retiree date is getting so close!

It really can't be helped.
If you said that in the military, then every time you maneuvered in a parking lot or a campsite you'd find yourself standing by a corner of the RV holding marshal's batons and helping the driver to avoid collisions & safety hazards...

Attachments

• Flight line marshals.jpg
    Flight line marshals.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 2
Rich, I made a similar turn into a small gas station pump stand hauling my TrailManor. (I believe you owned one a while back.) Similar size piller of about 3' took out my rear side window! (It's a fold down.) Thankfully, I was able to replace the glass myself with the help of the wife and a lot of swearing. Ah, the life of leisure.

If you said that in the military, then every time you maneuvered in a parking lot or a campsite you'd find yourself standing by a corner of the RV holding marshal's batons and helping the driver to avoid collisions & safety hazards...
Hey - that's exactly how it happens on our team! DH is always hops outside with walkie-talkie and circles the RV before we maneuver into a tight situation to spot issues and give directions (mostly hand signals). Especially when backing into a campsite! Yes - he is always at one of the corners, and if I can't see him, I stop until I can.

Visibility is just not that good from inside a large RV.

Audrey

P.S. Maybe I need to order him some lighted batons! It would really give the other RVers a great laugh!!!! Can't believe I haven't seen that yet.

Rich, I made a similar turn into a small gas station pump stand hauling my TrailManor. (I believe you owned one a while back.) Similar size piller of about 3' took out my rear side window! (It's a fold down.) Thankfully, I was able to replace the glass myself with the help of the wife and a lot of swearing. Ah, the life of leisure.
Yep, the TrailManor was traded in (actually sold privately) as part of paying for the motor home. Loved it - performed exactly as advertised.

Generally I find driving the motorhome to be a little easier than the TrailManor esp when backing up. But in forward turns, the trailer has a tendency to lag out a bit toward the outside tires before moving into the turn (or at least it felt that way). With a Class A, when turning, the whole vehicle aft of the rear tires immediately caves toward the direction of the turn. No slack there. I'm gonna do some parking lot work with a pylon or two next time I'm taking the RV for a ride.

P.S. Maybe I need to order him some lighted batons! It would really give the other RVers a great laugh!!!! Can't believe I haven't seen that yet.
Next time you are at the airport have him watch the signals/lighted batons used by the ground crew as they guide a plane to the gate.

Back
Top Bottom