Bucket List - what i checked off my list

We've been going to DC every Thanksgiving for a few years ( It's a half way spot for my daughter ,SIL & grandson) . We've stayed right in DC at small boutique hotels and never paid over $125 ( Priceline & Hotwire ) . All the Smithsonian museums are free so you really do not spend a lot . I found the restaurants in DC reasonable and even with taking a few tours it was one of our cheaper vacations . There is a lot of walking and frankly after a week I've had enough . Thanksgiving is a great time to go because it's less crowded and the prices drop . The Quincy hotel is next to an Irish Pub and down the street from a breakfast place and the metro .
Downtown Washington DC Hotels - Washington DC Hotel Suite Reservations - The Quincy

We've been going to DC every Thanksgiving for a few years ( It's a half way spot for my daughter ,SIL & grandson) . We've stayed right in DC at small boutique hotels and never paid over $125 ( Priceline & Hotwire ) . All the Smithsonian museums are free so you really do not spend a lot . I found the restaurants in DC reasonable and even with taking a few tours it was one of our cheaper vacations . There is a lot of walking and frankly after a week I've had enough . Thanksgiving is a great time to go because it's less crowded and the prices drop . The Quincy hotel is next to an Irish Pub and down the street from a breakfast place and the metro .
Downtown Washington DC Hotels - Washington DC Hotel Suite Reservations - The Quincy

Thanks, Moe - - I'll keep it in mind. As previously mentioned I'm not planning this trip right now anyway. What's on YOUR bucket list?

Thanks, Moe - - I'll keep it in mind. As previously mentioned I'm not planning this trip right now anyway. What's on YOUR bucket list?

I just crossed off Costa Rica & the Panama Canal next is Rome & Alaska . Last year I was very ill and it made me take a serious look at my bucket list and go for it . I realized it's now or never !

I just crossed off Costa Rica & the Panama Canal next is Rome & Alaska . Last year I was very ill and it made me take a serious look at my bucket list and go for it . I realized it's now or never !

I'm surprised you have not been to Rome! I'm sure you have and just want to go back. That's the trouble with "bucket lists". :LOL: You will like it, and Alaska too.

You don't want to drive in DC if you can avoid it, and parking can be a monumental pain.

I live in the DC suburbs, and I completely agree with this statement! I do not EVER drive into DC - if there's something I want to do, I ride the metro (subway). Most of the interesting places in DC are accessible by metro, if you're willing to walk a bit.

W2R, since you're still in the planning stages, might I suggest trying to time your visit to coincide with the cherry blossoms? Although it is usually extremely crowded (especially on the weekend), it really is a spectacular sight. If you go early in the morning mid-week, it's less crowded. Just don't drive there. SO still reminds me of the year (probably 10 years ago) that I insisted we drive there and that it wouldn't be too bad. :blush: The area around the tidal basin was completely gridlocked and it took us an hour just to turn around and get out. Never even stopped the car and only glimpsed the trees as we tried to escape that scene!

3. New England in the fall.

These are all things that my DH and I have talked about and will do before it is all over. That is if we can get someone to give us an "in" for tickets to the derby.

To accomplish #3 fly into Hartford ,Conn and rent a car and head towards western Mass .towards Amherst & Northampton . These are picture post card New England towns and a very scenic area . Stay at quaint Inns and shop the little towns . That is a much more scenic view than going from Boston IMHO .

I live in the DC suburbs, and I completely agree with this statement! I do not EVER drive into DC - if there's something I want to do, I ride the metro (subway). Most of the interesting places in DC are accessible by metro, if you're willing to walk a bit.

W2R, since you're still in the planning stages, might I suggest trying to time your visit to coincide with the cherry blossoms? Although it is usually extremely crowded (especially on the weekend), it really is a spectacular sight. If you go early in the morning mid-week, it's less crowded. Just don't drive there. SO still reminds me of the year (probably 10 years ago) that I insisted we drive there and that it wouldn't be too bad. :blush: The area around the tidal basin was completely gridlocked and it took us an hour just to turn around and get out. Never even stopped the car and only glimpsed the trees as we tried to escape that scene!

:LOL: Sounds like quite a traffic jam! Yes, the cherry blossoms are apparently spectacular though I like Moe's suggestion of Thanksgiving, for the lower hotel rates and hopefully smaller crowds.

:LOL: Sounds like quite a traffic jam! Yes, the cherry blossoms are apparently spectacular though I like Moe's suggestion of Thanksgiving, for the lower hotel rates and hopefully smaller crowds.

I completely understand. I'm pretty crowd-averse myself.

As for the traffic jam, I think my SO is actually glad it happened. It's one of the few times that we can both say that he was right and I was wrong. :D

I completely understand. I pretty crowd-averse myself.

As for the traffic jam, I think my SO is actually glad it happened. It's one of the few times that we can both say that he was right and I was wrong. :D

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I live in DC too (well, outside of DC in Alexandria, but I work in DC) - you can definitely do it cheaper than $250. We've got room! :)

Anyway, I love to travel and don't really have a bucket list, but I have a list of trips I feel I MUST do. Here are the top 5:

1) Hiking the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu
2) Exploring the wine region of Mendoza, Argentina
3) Climing Mt. Kilimanjaro and going on safari
4) New Zealand by RV
5) Seeing Angkor Wat in Cambodia

Alaska was big on my list - did it two summers ago. So was Yellowstone, and we did that last year. Both were amazing trips.

Oh -I did think of one thing - I want to learn to SCUBA dive.

Bucket list? What bucket list?

I am down nearly 9% compared to about a month ago. We are just going to have a "staycation" in our RV with it parked in our driveway. :banghead: :banghead:

My younger sister who is a nun travels to South America yearly for business . She's the head of her order . I'm willing to go as her assistant . I'll even wear a habit and swear off se- while I'm there and I'll only sip communion wine .:)

Back
Top Bottom