Whine list from recent trip to NM.

The loud cycling A/C drives me nuts too.

I was in a brand new hotel this year - very nice room in almost every way, but it had a noisy A/C unit. Guess that flaw isn't going to get fixed anytime soon.

My other peeve on A/C units are one that direct the nice cold air right at the bed. So as it cycles on and off I'm too cold, then too hot, rinse and repeat.

I often do the freeze the room before sleep time trick, then turn of the A/C, but that only works sometimes.

Sigh

Yup. You have to wonder if the people who design these hotel rooms every actually sleep in them.

I was at a nice, mid-priced hotel earlier this year. They put the cable box that connects to the TV on a shelf about 2 inches above the floor and near the foot of the bed. The remote needs line of sight to work with it. Guess what? No line of sight from the bed, the desk or the easy chair in the room. I had to get up walk to the front of the bed, stoop down point the remote at the box to get it to work. This is a hotel from a major hotel company that has thousands of hotels all over the world. (I'm looking at your IHG Holiday Inn).

Like I said. Do the people who design these rooms actually use them?

That said, I would not let these minor inconveniences deter me from the fund, exciting and rewarding travel I have done. But, I might let it keep me from staying there again.

Last edited:
Few years ago we stayed at a motel, where you park in front of your room door, and I saw my neighbor 2 doors down, go out to her car and walk back into her room with a 45 :eek:

When traveling in Wyoming I saw several fellow travelers park their truck in front of their room, unlock the gun rack and take the guns into the room. Makes a lot more sense to me than leaving it outside on the truck all night. Besides, most folks from Wyoming know how to use firearms safely.

Don't do cross-country road trips much anymore but back then often found that motels with convenient freeway access usually were within shouting distance of railroad tracks. Ain't nothing like being rattled out of a hard sleep by the passing of the Hooterville Cannonball at 2am.

Don't do cross-country road trips much anymore but back then often found that motels with convenient freeway access usually were within shouting distance of railroad tracks. Ain't nothing like being rattled out of a hard sleep by the passing of the Hooterville Cannonball at 2am.
Reminds me of a stay at the Hualapai owned hotel in Peach Springs AZ. We were there for an early start the next morning to take a white-water rafting trip down part of the west grand canyon (fantastic trip with helicopter extraction at the end of the afternoon:dance:). Knew we were in trouble when handed earplugs at check in... Trains ran all night,probably every hour or so, right behind the property and all sounded their whistles. Ear plugs didn't do much to help:facepalm:

I have the worst hotel story of any! Last October, I was traveling with my daughter and the grandkids when we stopped for the night at the Eastland, Tx Holiday Inn Express. I stayed with two of my granddaughters. When we were got there, I was checking for bed bugs and discovered that one bed had a 2 foot square area with diarrhea smeared across the bed linens! Obviously, they didn't change sheets between guests! I took photos and went to the front desk to complain. They didn't seem all that concerned and would only take $30 off. Plus they were full and the town's other hotels were full. It was so awful. They gave us another room and we managed things for the night, but I posted bad reviews and pics online.

I have the worst hotel story of any! Last October, I was traveling with my daughter and the grandkids when we stopped for the night at the Eastland, Tx Holiday Inn Express. I stayed with two of my granddaughters. When we were got there, I was checking for bed bugs and discovered that one bed had a 2 foot square area with diarrhea smeared across the bed linens! Obviously, they didn't change sheets between guests! I took photos and went to the front desk to complain. They didn't seem all that concerned and would only take $30 off. Plus they were full and the town's other hotels were full. It was so awful. They gave us another room and we managed things for the night, but I posted bad reviews and pics online.

If they were full, how did they give you another room? What if they were actually full and you couldn't get a different room? Would you have been satisfied with them just cleaning the mattress and putting on clean sheets?

When traveling (for w*rk) on time, I checked in late in the evening and was given a key. Opened the door to my room, and found a man already sleeping in the bed!!! I silently backed out on tiptoes, without (I think) waking him. Got a different room at the front desk. I can think of a lot of ways that interaction could have gone ugly.

When traveling (for w*rk) on time, I checked in late in the evening and was given a key. Opened the door to my room, and found a man already sleeping in the bed!!!....... .
That has happened to me before, as well. Always use the secondary door latch now.

When traveling (for w*rk) on time, I checked in late in the evening and was given a key. Opened the door to my room, and found a man already sleeping in the bed!!! I silently backed out on tiptoes, without (I think) waking him. Got a different room at the front desk. I can think of a lot of ways that interaction could have gone ugly.

This has happened to me twice. Once, at London Heathrow, at the Radisdon Blu Edwardian. When I opened the door, the room was occupied by a surprised couple and the chain was on (thank goodness!). The second time was at the Phoenix Park Hotel in downtown Washington, DC. The bed had been slept in, but nobody was there. Back to reception!

I enter hotel rooms carefully and inspect thoroughly before settling in. I always use the chain and don't open the door to anyone unless I have ordered room service (which is rare).

Last edited:
If they were full, how did they give you another room? What if they were actually full and you couldn't get a different room? Would you have been satisfied with them just cleaning the mattress and putting on clean sheets?

They gave us a room that was actually off-line because the tv was broken. It looked ok otherwise, but when they first said they were full, we were going to go sleep in the van for the night. My daughter drives a 12 seat Sprinter van and we could have each slept on a seat. And no, none of us were ok with staying in that room even with clean sheets. We were all so grossed out.[emoji15]

Don't think they range that far west - too dry.

There are many cicadas in the southwest but are annual cicadas vs the periodical cicadas back east. So there do not tend to be huge infestations of annual cicadas as there would be for the periodical variety although I have seen this happen. For example Las Vegas NV experiences their cicada season in mid July. The OP may have been experiencing chinch bugs which come out in large numbers when there has been a drought and their usual food plants are scarce. It has been very hot in the southwest in the last few weeks with temperatures in the high 90s and 100s.

When I was staying at one of the vintage hotels at Yellowstone that had the large metal keys, I found by accident that my key fit both my door and my neighbor's door. Luckily they were not in the room at the time.

Ah, and here at home it is absolutely quiet and peaceful, no bugs, no strange people walking around outside my door with firearms (I hope), AC is wonderful, healthy snacks in the refrigerator, the most perfect armchair and ottoman for my back, comfie slippers for my feet, my favorite entertainment options for my brain, my sweetie who cares about me living right next door for my heart.... ah, home sweet home! I love it here.
:smitten:

Yeah, this extended staycation Im on might be a blessing.:D

Oh you wanted the room with the clean sheets? That will be $30 extra.:LOL:

Yeah especially in Wisconsin from what I just read.:facepalm:

They gave us a room that was actually off-line because the tv was broken. It looked ok otherwise, but when they first said they were full, we were going to go sleep in the van for the night. My daughter drives a 12 seat Sprinter van and we could have each slept on a seat. And no, none of us were ok with staying in that room even with clean sheets. We were all so grossed out.[emoji15]

Yeah thanks, I probably got that room right after you checked out hahahah.

I just thought of this similar story. We went with 3 other couples to the Bahamas. November 1998. It was my first (and last time) at an all inclusive. Im waiting on line with my bride and the 3 other girls. My man friends make a bee line for the drinks. They bring back drinks for their wives, and something for my wife and I think they got me a warm beer. My wife says its ok and to go hang out with them and she will check us in. Some how only our room is ready. I tell the gang, OK everyone put their stuff into our room till their rooms are ready. 8 people trample into my room, and lo and behold its got stuff in it. The beds are made but there are suitcases and I open a few drawers and they got clothes in it. I found a camera, etc From the room i calll the front desk, they tell me they will send someone up to clear out the room. Im not liking that answer, so I tell 2 of the guys to stay with the ladies and im going down stairs. It turns out some one with the same last name as me was in the correct room and that they just gave me another key card. Our real room wasnt ready either hahahaha. We cleared out of the rightful owners room and waited till our rooms were ready. I never did met the other couple. Good thing we weren't crooks, they could have been cleaned out.

Our whine list included pomegranate wine & green chili wine. Accommodations were safe at Kirkland AFB, had a awesome day in the Village of Corrales in ABQ. Surprised to find a Best Western Plus in Gallup (behind the El Rancho) quite new & delightful! But..I'm still steaming how I foolishly got snagged into a 3rd party reservation on that! My bad. I have learned with our retirement travels the phase "it's only for one night" = I'm about to learn something new that might not be within my standards. Trips can be ruined if the hotel is worse than what DH & I can laugh at.

Staying at the airport Hilton in Wichita KS one fine business trip, I looked out the window before retiring, safe and secure at the remote section of the airport with a string of airliners parked along the fence directly beneath my room. All looked quiet for the night.

About 2am those "Fed Ex" aircraft all started to spool up at the same time, and taxied around for about 30 minutes.

The front desk wouldn't even call me a Waambulance!

_B

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 178
Yeah, along with lousy airline service, motels seem to be getting worse - and the staff could care less. Spending more money may help but it's not a guarantee. DW and I have already canceled one planned trip this year because we don't want to deal with the hassle. Kind of sad, really. YMMV

Staying at the airport Hilton in Wichita KS one fine business trip, I looked out the window before retiring, safe and secure at the remote section of the airport with a string of airliners parked along the fence directly beneath my room. All looked quiet for the night.

About 2am those "Fed Ex" aircraft all started to spool up at the same time, and taxied around for about 30 minutes.

_B

Something like this happened in Springdale Utah in mid-January a big complex where the doors opened to the outside and you had a balcony. Some new construction was going on at the far end of the property. The next morning at 630 I hear engines roaring and the beeping sound. I open my window see orange cones and dump trucks waiting in line like a staging area. We had booked 6 nights at this place and off-season it was maybe 25% full.

At breakfast I tell the front desk our room is right next to the trucks, say it's too noisy and since we're here for 6 nites say "May I please have a different room" She says No, those trucks only run from 730 to 400. Gee, I guess I imagined the sound at 630 and she says I'll tell them to wait an hour. Now I'm ticked and say No ...I'm on vacation and not having that noise outside my room all day, you didn't have a thing posted on your website about construction noise, if you had, I would have booked another property.

She says No again and now I'm really ticked and say I'm going to leave, but first I'm going to call the manager and then the owner and then Best Western followed by my credit card company, because now you are just being difficult. At this point someone else comes out and after 30 seconds says give them a different room, now.

I get a room on the backside of another building and don't hear one noise for the entire trip.

_B
That just reminded me of a trip I took a long time ago. We were staying in York, England at the Royal York Hotel. Well, it was a railroad hotel next to the tracks. It was warm, and we had our windows open. At 6 AM we were blasted out of bed by the PA (tannoy to the English) announcing the arrival of the first train of the day.
Fortunately, we were there only for that one night.

I've spent 3.5 of the last 5 weeks out traveling. That was I think 8 hotels plus camping. Most of the hotels were relatively cheap some with bathrooms down the hall. All were up to expectations and nice. I did have roomies who I had never shared a room with and some of them snored, but that's what earplugs are for. Airlines were great and airports were no issue.

So one can travel and have a nice experience.

Perhaps the only annoying thing was one of my fellow campers left food in their backpack by my tent and a rodent spent the whole night chewing through the backpack which woke me up. Apparent rat turds all over the place in the morning, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom