Build quotes for new 2 car garage

For a 10x16 room you could use a ductless MiniSplit . We heat and cool our house with mini
Splits . They even have DIY minis and solar Minis.

I will second that. You can heat it just fine with a 1 ton mini-split. Our bedroom is 300 sqft (with 8 ft celling) with 3/4 ton mini-split. Cooling is more than enough and heating to 60F with -10F outside is OK (not great).

2 walls up. Trusses are supposed to be here tomorrow. Was told windows are backordered until late June. Electrical/subpanel scheduled for June 3rd.

Will have a nice view from the back shop!

Attachments

• 20210525_122112.jpg
    20210525_122112.jpg
    868 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210525_122247.jpg
    20210525_122247.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 27
Ductless minisplit is what I am leaning towards for my 32x56x12 post frame building that was just completed earlier this month.

see thread:
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/pole-barn-construction-109017.html

Even easier is to use a PTAC unit like they have in hotels. They also come in very large sizes for larger spaces--and as heat pumps.

Cut a hole in the wall. Slide the unit in. Plug it in. No HVAC installer required.

I had one in a 16 x 32' den, and it did just great.

We had a PTAC .....they are cheaper easy to install but for us it just wasn’t efficient . Even the new ones are noisy and they don’t heat efficiently $$$$$$$. What we had just had a heat
Strip. We now have ductless mini splits , the compressor is outside quieter . We have an inverter heat pump. They offer a solar mini split and when ours breaks down that will be our
choice. They also are offering DIY mini splits , comes with pressurized lines .

2 walls up. Trusses are supposed to be here tomorrow. Was told windows are backordered until late June. Electrical/subpanel scheduled for June 3rd.

Will have a nice view from the back shop!
Great view. You sure you'll get any work done in there.:cool:

Very nice!!! Please keep us posted on the progress. I'm jealous!

Interesting. Hadn't really considered the mini splits. I could see it working well for the back shop at 160-180sf. But if I want to heat the garage space, I'd need a lot of BTUs. Building is a few yards away from the propane tank.... and I have had good luck finding used whole house force hot air furnaces for $200 or less (then pay a gas fitter to permit and hook it up). One in my 24x24 home shop now is 160k BTU. Heats up REAL fast on the coldest New England winter days.

I installed a Modine Hot Dawg in my garage and we have a Rinnai in the loft above... between the two they do a great job of heating... of course now that we spend winters in Florida they get used rarely.

Roof and floor done. I told the builders to leave ALL scrap in a pile for me (I PAID for it!). I went out and found 10 half sheets of the 5/8" ZIP board roof sheathing in the pile. Looked it up on line, the stuff is $105 a sheet at HD! Originally I thought to sell it, but decided to use it for the lower wall in the shop, where I otherwise would have had to purchase BX plywood for $60 a sheet.

The guy did an amazing job on the floor. It is polished concrete and has the finish of (almost) a marble. Interior wall needs to get framed next, but after that a delay as lead times on siding and garage doors are being quoted at 12 weeks now.

Hope to get at least the back shop finished, insulated and heated by winter.

Attachments

• 199937904_10223709361429284_7248294432247928707_n.jpg
    199937904_10223709361429284_7248294432247928707_n.jpg
    889.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210614_150623.jpg
    20210614_150623.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 34
doneat54, that is a great looking build. You should really enjoy that garage/shop.

Good thinking on telling them to leave the scrap lumber. $$$!

I had a small pile of metal from my metal lean too ....I thought I was gonna have some beer money . Then I found out scrap metal was worth so little . It was off to the dump where they combine and recycle.

Looking great! The scrap is very valuable these days. I needed to frame out my 9 barn windows 3" before I added the 3"foam board insulation and I had enough scrap material to add a 2.5x3" nailing frame around all of them using the wood scrap. Conservatively saved almost $200 of I had to go and buy the lumber needed.

Interesting. Hadn't really considered the mini splits. I could see it working well for the back shop at 160-180sf. But if I want to heat the garage space, I'd need a lot of BTUs. Building is a few yards away from the propane tank.... and I have had good luck finding used whole house force hot air furnaces for $200 or less (then pay a gas fitter to permit and hook it up). One in my 24x24 home shop now is 160k BTU. Heats up REAL fast on the coldest New England winter days.

How often do you plan to be in the shop space? If you'll be out there daily, the mini-splits would be a great option. If you're only out there occasionally, a simple electric heater is easy and inexpensive to install.

I'm usually only in my shop a few days each winter, either as a week long project, or short stints working on a car or something. I opted for a Fahrenheat FUH54 electric heater. It's slightly undersized for my 24'x28' garage/shop, but still brings it up to 65-70 within 30 minutes and maintains it nicely. If anything, it gets a little too warm sometimes. With only occasional use it doesn't really impact our electric bill that much.

Installing a Fahrenheat FUH54 Electric Garage Heater

I'm not a fan of propane heaters. They heat a space quickly, but add moisture to the air (rusty tools) and put off carbon monoxide. I'm also a bit nervous about using gas in general. I've seen too many accidents.

I'm not a fan of propane heaters. They heat a space quickly, but add moisture to the air (rusty tools) and put off carbon monoxide. I'm also a bit nervous about using gas in general. I've seen too many accidents.

That is only for unvented propane heater. Any unvented combustion, whether propane or natural gas, has water as a byproduct of combustion, and potential of carbon monoxide if not burning clean. A std vented heater will not have the issues.

The shop space I'd expect to be in half of the days during the heating season. As I said previously, I have had great experiences using used, whole house LP or LNG furnaces with exterior venting. I can "run up" the temp in this space from New England winter temps to "T shirt" warmth in minutes, and maintaining them while using the space is efficient. I have a lead on a whole house propane furnace for $50, and will gladly pay a licensed, permit pulling HVAC company to install it.

Heat pumps are efficient and viable in more moderate climes, but in New England when you want to run up a shop temp in 20-30 minutes to get some work done, they just are too slow.

The shop space I'd expect to be in half of the days during the heating season. As I said previously, I have had great experiences using used, whole house LP or LNG furnaces with exterior venting. I can "run up" the temp in this space from New England winter temps to "T shirt" warmth in minutes, and maintaining them while using the space is efficient. I have a lead on a whole house propane furnace for $50, and will gladly pay a licensed, permit pulling HVAC company to install it.

Heat pumps are efficient and viable in more moderate climes, but in New England when you want to run up a shop temp in 20-30 minutes to get some work done, they just are too slow.

Gas is always nicer.

I replaced a central A/C here with a heat pump, but natural gas is so cheap I now just use the "backup" gas furnace full-time for heating...also saves wear and tear on the compressor.

Haven't posted in a while. The garage as spec'ed for the construction company is complete except for the garage doors which were ordered back in June. Still not here, supply chain shortages. They are coming from Canada.

After getting a quote of $4580 to install the furnace (Mount it on a pedestal that *I* built, wire it to an AC run that *I* put in place, convert it from nat. gas to propane with a kit that *I* bought, do the PVC venting and hook up a gas line, fire up and test), I decided to do it myself. Took me 6 hours and $45 in hardware. If the company who gave me the quote *could* do it as fast as I did (they said it would take 2 days), they would be garnering about $725/hr. No sucker here.

The vent on the plenum facing the garage is shutterable so all of the flow can be directed into the workshop if needed. The furnace is only a 2 burner, 40k BTU, but it works nicely to heat the 10x16 shop space. The garage will not be finished and insulated until at least next year and I don't expect to even try to heat it with this furnace. Am running the furnace off a 20lb grill size propane tank now, and shutting the valve on the tank when I shut the furnace down and leave. Next year will hire a gas fitter to run an iron pipe line out of the back, and have an energy company drop a 100lb tank back there, hook it up and test for leaks. Since it is a detached building, no permitting is required.

4x 8 foot, 9k lumen LED light strips on the shop, VERY bright and I will add more under the lower shelf over the workbench that I will build. Electrical is 80% done. As in the previous shops that I built, I like plywood on the lower 5' or so of the walls as they get banged into a lot, and it makes screwing brackets and such into the walls easier than drywall and anchors. All of the green zip board is leftover scrap from the garage build. It will be painted.

Attachments

• 20211026_113231.jpg
    20211026_113231.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211026_181126.jpg
    20211026_181126.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 46
doneat54 >> Looks great!

Wow, a lot of big numbers to build garages. I helped my brother build a basic 24' x 24' garage last spring. He paid to have a slab poured and we did the rest. All in less than $15k, which included siding, fascia, soffits, and shingles.

Obviously the cost would be a little higher today due to the increase in lumber prices.

In 2006, I had a 24'x24' detached garage built at my high-country boondocks home. I paid less than $25K if memory serves.

That's for everything: concrete slab with up-to-code perimeter footing, exterior stained wood lap siding, interior painted drywall and ceiling, two windows, garage door with opener, shingled roof, 60 ft underground electric run from the house electrical panel, exterior lights, permit and inspection fees.

On my last house I had an attached 40' X 40' garage. I installed a vented propane heater that was really inexpensive to run and heated the area very quickly. I usually just set the thermostat to around 50 degrees when I wasn't in there and to 60 when I was working in there. I was very happy with how it performed and how cheap it was to heat the 1600 square feet.

Back
Top Bottom