Cabernet, Pinot, or Malbec?

Mostly Pinot. Then a Cab or Merlot. Best of all....Happy Hour Red!

Tempranillo and Sangiovese. Barbera or Garnacha sometimes. Occasionally even spring for a Barolo.

Syrah, Grenache, Cab, Zin, Pinot, Mourvèdre for grapes. Gigondas, Châteauneuf du Pape and Bordeaux for styles.

Mostly Pinot. Then a Cab or Merlot. Best of all....Happy Hour Red!

Happy hour red = winner, winner, chicken dinner!

IMO, this question needs to be calibrated by price. Generally, Malbec is cheaper than the other two and is considered to be a better bang for the buck at the low end. In the table wine realm, I've been impressed by the cheapish Pinot Noirs. For example, if you want really cheap - Black Box and Bota Box Pinot Noirs are more inoffensive than their cabs/merlots/malbecs. But in the mid-to-expensive realm I think Cali Cabs are where it is at...

High end Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir are some of the best varietal wines in the world, and Malbec has a way to go to catch up.

Generally been a Cab guy of those, but drinking more Pinot lately for lower alcohol and still finding good flavors. Wife and I like Bordeaux and Rhône style blends, straight Grenache, Tempranillo, and I enjoy Tuscans as well.

Pinot Noir and Champagne/sparkling wine are my two favs. Also like Primotivo,
Mezzanote, Zin, Syrah, and blends. Not big on heavy cabs.

Because of my meds my rheumatologist says “No alcohol for you!”
:(

Without getting into every varietal, blend or appellations (there are others we’d buy/order noted above):
  • Petite Sirah, Cabernet, Syrah/Shiraz with beef or heavily sauced,
  • Pinot Noir with lighter fare,
  • We much prefer reds but when only a white will do (e.g. delicate fish, Vesuvio, cheese plate, Alfredo), Sauv Blanc or unoaked Chardonnay, or we often just skip wine when a white is called for,
  • Veuve Clicquot when it’s bubbly time.
If we could only have four to choose from, it would be the four in bold. Our inventory at home is mostly the 7-8 above domestics with a few Italian, French, Australian, New Zealand or Spanish appellations. We don’t care for anything sweet or “fruity.”

Fortunately(?) we’re not supertasters or that sophisticated so we no longer spend the money on high end wines.

Last edited:
Of the original 3 listed - I choose the Malbec.

I love both Pinot and Malbec. Also love my scotch!

Nobody for Medoc?

Yes! Pinot, only with salmon, and yes!

Last years Zin is still in barrel to be replaced with this years Cab. Last years Sangiovese to be replaced with this years Malbec.

Last years blend to be replaced by this years Grenache, Syrah and Mouvedre blend, however, they may be aged separately then blended later.

I will be in trouble soon, could not get my Pinot grapes this year. I do not have 2 years worth in the cellar.

Petit Syrah is scheduled for fall 2019. Pinot Noir and probably more Cab.

Malbec for me.
Pinot for the DGF.

Of the big 3 reds Cabernet, of choice Zinfandel, softer reds Syrah.

Like the high end Cabs and popular priced Argentinian (Finca) Malbec. We get the latter for 65 pesos a bottle at Costco in Mexico.

Malbec, merlot, cab.

We mostly buy Chilean, Argentine, and Australian. Some Spanish (granache) and lately some reds from Portugese (Douro).

eX-Merlot, enjoy them - reds - all & want variety. Brunello, aahhhh

Back
Top Bottom