California Special Events

NoloPress

Dryer sheet wannabe
Conventional wisdom dictates that (unless you’re rich) you must work full-time to age 65, but millions of Americans are surprisingly close to something even better than retirement—early semi-retirement.

This March Bob Clyatt, author of Work Less, Live More, will share the secrets of early semi-retirement with California audiences. Learn financial strategies based on Nobel Prize winning economic research, plus real-world tips for a fulfilling new life.

Come meet Bob Clyatt at a bookstore in your neighborhood:

In Orinda Saturday March 11, 2:00 p.m. at Orinda Books, 276 Village Sq. 925/254.7606

In San Francisco Tuesday March 14, 7:00 p.m. at Stacey’s Bookstore, 581 Market St. Francisco 415/421.4687
*Joint appearance with Rich Stim, author of Whoops! I’m in Business: A Crash Course in Business Basics

In San Francisco Wednesday, March 15, 7:00 p.m. at A Clean Well Lighted Place for Books, 601 Van Ness Ave. 415/441.6670

In Alameda Thursday, March 16, 7:30 p.m. at Books Inc. 1344 Park St. 510/522.2226

In Woodland Hills/Los Angeles Saturday March 18, 3:00 p.m. at Barnes & Noble, The Westfield Shopping Town Promenade, 6100 Topanga Canyon Blvd. 818/704.3850

ESRBob, you'd better be glad you are one of "us" or I would have deleted this post on all the threads it was posted on and not left this one. ;)

FWIW, user NoloPress is pretty much established as the real deal, and Bob Clyatt is early-retirement.org's very own ESRBob who used (with permission) the board and some members' stories when writing his book.

As usual, REWahoo was quicker on the draw than I, although I'm confused by his comment as this is the only post by NoloPress touting the events that I can see.

In addition to your local library or bookstore you can find Work Less, Live More at Amazon.com; using that link to purchase the book (or even other books) kicks a few cents to dory36, the site owner here.

BigMoneyJennifer said:
As usual, REWahoo was quicker on the draw than I, although I'm confused by his comment as this is the only post by NoloPress touting the events that I can see.

That's because I deleted the duplicate NoloPress post on another thread before I posted my comment, (said REWahoo, blowing smoke from his two six-shooters :D).

Now, back to installing my replacement water softener...and yet another trip to Home Depot for the correct plumbing fitting. :rant:

REWahoo! said:
Now, back to installing my replacement water softener...and yet another trip to Home Depot for the correct plumbing fitting. :rant:

I have an old friend who works in a hardware store. She says 4 trips per plumbing job is about average. :)

I wanna know who passed the law that says that any 5 things you want to connect with plumbing ALL have DIFFERENT connections :p

I hate plumbing. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

I think plumbing and FIRE go together -- something about all that time and not wanting to pay the $200 plumber's bill conspire to make us think we can do it ourselves. My approach now is to launch into the plumbing project, take it as far as I can, and, if necessary (usually) call in the cavalry and get them to give me a tutorial along with their fee so I can see how the job is supposed to be finished. So far it has saved me a bit of money and in any case makes me feel like I'm doing something frugal.

Sorry Nolo wrong-posted my tour schedule -- will have a word with them about where to post. Hope anyone in (coastal) Calif comes by and says hi -- introduce yourself as a poster here and I'll give you a free dryer sheet!

ESRBob said:
I think plumbing and FIRE go together -- something about all that time and not wanting to pay the $200 plumber's bill conspire to make us think we can do it ourselves.  My approach now is to launch into the plumbing project, take it as far as I can, and, if necessary (usually) call in the cavalry and get them to give me a tutorial along with their fee so I can see how the job is supposed to be finished.  So far it has saved me a bit of money and in any case makes me feel like I'm doing something frugal.

Sorry Nolo wrong-posted my tour schedule -- will have a word with them about where to post.  Hope anyone in (coastal) Calif comes by and says hi -- introduce yourself as a poster here and I'll give you a free dryer sheet!

Yesterday I found a leak by one of our toilet bowls. So I fugure it's the seal between the flange and the bowl. How hard can it be to change it. So I remove the bowl to find that the flange seperated from the pipe in the floor.

$250 later the plumber did a great job.

I classify that in the "entertainment" and "tuition/education" budget categories. Beats a day at Disneyworld!

Sorry, for doubling up. I figured the "Young Dreamers" section made sense, since the event will focus primarily on planning, but then then it didn't QUITE fit, so I thought "Other" might be a safer bet.

No biggie, Nolo. We managed to seamlessly hijack the thread into a rant about how badly we hate to do plumbing work, so we're even. :D

You dont often see posts about book signings and toilet leaks in the same thread, so high fives to everyone...

Talking about plumbing...I'm currently doing a full bathroom renovation.  The shower/tub valve is in a 2 x 4 wall back to back with another shower/tub valve on the other side.  The monstrosity I'm creating of 90's, 45's, brass and copper snaking through studs would even embrass Tim the toolman.  Thankfully everything will be hidden, at least till I do the bath on the other side.  Installing that valve should even be more complicated.  I'd use a plumber, but would probably have to return to work to afford one on this job.   

73ss454 said:
Yesterday I found a leak by one of our toilet bowls. So I fugure it's the seal between the flange and the bowl. How hard can it be to change it. So I remove the bowl to find that the flange seperated from the pipe in the floor.

$250 later the plumber did a great job.

My all time favorite plumbing fiasco started with a toilet bowl -- I was the maintenance man on a 40 unit apartment building in college and the sewer was backing up into my apt's toilet on the ground floor. Plumber was called and determined there must be a root or something in the sewer pipe heading out to the street. A minute later, as I was saying "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" he was whipping my toilet off its mount to get better access down the pipe to this root/plug.

You can imagine what 4 stories worth of backed up sewage looked like as it flowed across the floor of our unit and eventually the rest of the units on our floor...

Some weeks later with new carpets installed, floor dried etc, it only sorta smelled -- fortunately I graduated a few weeks after that-- headed off to France to become a low-paid bartender in St Paul de Vence for a few months (I must have been ER-bound even then -- I was definitely in no mood to start fulltime career/work and dragged my feet for a good six months before poverty forced me into The System...) Out of that now! 8)

Back
Top Bottom