CAPITAL ONE DATA BREACH, You are Eligible for Benefits From a Class Action Settlement

Graybeard

Full time employment: Posting here.
I got an email today supposedly from Capital One about filing a claim for a data breach they announced on July 29, 2019. I Googled this and it looks like there was a breach.

Anyone lese get an email about this? My antivirus software will highlight a link in green if it is safe or gray if it is uncertain. The links in the email are in gray which makes me suspicious.

If this is legit? I think they are reimbursing people for out of pocket costs and require documentation. I didn't have any expenses associated with the breach. I would like to take advantage of the free credit monitoring if nothing else.

Nothing here, and I checked my spam folder. When you Googled, did they say there was a current adjustment going on? I would be very suspicious, and do more homework.

That email was in my spam folder last week.

Google says there is something real out there, but I would ignore/delete any emails and just contact a lawyer directly.

Don't most of these things end up with almost no money to the claimants? But lucrative to the lawyers....

ETA: The email is NOT from Capitalone... it's from "capitalonesettlement dot com"

I didn't get an email but I did get a post card. I checked it out and filed the claim. They did not ask for any personal information that they didn't already have, which was my name and address. My time was used freezing all of our credit bureau accounts and changing all the passwords on anything financial.

I remember another one of these, maybe in 2021 or 2020. You could claim a limited number of hours without any documentation. Was that Equifax maybe?

Anyway......we will be lucky to get anything out of this, but I filed just in case.

The only time I've ever gained anything from one of these class action suits was from one of the big tuna companies who were sued for misstating the net weight of their product. I think I got $4 and change into my PayPal account.

I found the post card if anyone wants to see it. I've erased my personal info. When I entered the Unique Identification Code and PIN it took me to the info they already had and steps to file the claim.

Attachments

• IMG_2216.jpeg
    IMG_2216.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2215.jpeg
    IMG_2215.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I've been with Cap 1 for over a decade. Got nothing. Don't want anything either.

No longer with Cap 1.

When I tried to file a claim out of curiosity it asked for my DOB and address. At that point I closed the tab and said forget it. IMO, it is not worth the risk to get $1.98 or $5.

I'm very suspicious and immediately when I got this email I used View Source Message vs opening the email. From what I could read it looked legit. Then I thought, this is a perfect scam if the bad guys know about the breach they could have generated these emails piggybacking off a real event. I trust no one who contacts me with email. Even financial intuitions I work with, I don't open the email and use my bookmarked link to go to the site. :D

In my spam folder too a couple of days ago. Didn't open it.

i haven't received anything from Cap1 but have received similar notices from several other entities most notably from Yahoo. in all of these past incident I dutifully filled out the forms and submitted them. apart from an acknowledgement that the claim was received i have yet to see anything tangible from any of them. we did receive free credit monitoring from two companies but not a peep from the others. i have concluded that the severity of these breeches are not worth the effort or my time needed to research and file a claim.

Yeah, me too.

I got the experian hit long ago. Didn't want free credit monitoring from a company so stupid they got hacked.

Yeah, me too.

I got the experian hit long ago. Didn't want free credit monitoring from a company so stupid they got hacked.

we took the Experian monitoring but we had our own identity theft protection at the time. i figurered having the second set of 'eyes' couldn't hurt.

Yes I received it and filled it out.

Bringing this old topic back because I got this email today. It's from EpiqPay -

Capital One Settlement - Notice of Upcoming Settlement Payment
Dear XXXXXXXXX

According to our records, you are eligible to receive a payment of $xxx.xx in the settlement for the matter entitled In re: Capital One Inc. Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, MDL No. 1:19-md-2915.

As the Administrator for the matter, we’re sending you this courtesy email to inform you that by September 28, 2023, you will receive a payment notification email that contains a link to claim your payment electronically. Once you receive that email, you will have until November 27, 2023, to claim your payment.

Please monitor your email inbox carefully for our next email. Additional details about this matter are available at www.CapitalOneSettlement.com or by contacting us via one of the following methods:

Email: payments@CapitalOneSettlement.com
Phone: 1-855-604-1811
Mail: Capital One Data Breach - Settlement Administrator, P.O. Box 4518, Portland, OR 97208–4518

Could be a scam, but I did file for this settlement and posted about it above Post #4, dated 5/23/22.

So I guess I'll see tomorrow if I get the email and a real link to a real amount.

Anybody else get this email? When I goggled about it I found this on Doctor Of Credit.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/capital-one-190-million-data-breach-class-action-settlement/

Last edited:
Yes I got the email and like you filed for the money a year ago. I think it’s legitimate.

I X-ed out the amount in my post because it's hard to believe.

But Ka-Ching!

This is the new way for class actions. You go through these vendors and get something like a digital debit card you can use online. Or PayPal. There may be a paper check option too. Read their FAQ.

I find it odd that I got this email initially though I never had a Capital One card.

Bringing this old topic back because I got this email today. It's from EpiqPay -

According to our records, you are eligible to receive a payment of $xxx.xx........

This is the new way for class actions. You go through these vendors and get something like a digital debit card you can use online. Or PayPal. There may be a paper check option too. Read their FAQ.

Thanks for posting about this, as I was eligible for a Zoom lawsuit payment of $32.32 it says.

I decided to click on the payment link, and they had prefilled my name in and I picked a mastercard prepaid card for payment.
Figured that way no account number would be asked.
I got another email, saying they will email me the number of the virtual card on Monday.. :popcorn:

I am getting 565 and while I would have preferred the cash in my account I figured it was too risky so chose the virtual master card.

Wow, these are substantial payments for a class action.

I just got a data breach indication from an insurance company, and like others, all it offers is some monitoring service I never heard of, and a calming pat on my back.

Wow, these are substantial payments for a class action.

I just got a data breach indication from an insurance company, and like others, all it offers is some monitoring service I never heard of, and a calming pat on my back.

Normally, I get peanuts or free monitoring for these things.

I was totally shocked when FB sent me ~$400 .

This Zoom one of $32.32 is probably my second/third highest one ever, so still have to pick up pennies on the ground :LOL:

I'm still waiting for the 2nd email with the payment info. Yes, I've checked the Junk email folder.

I'm supposed to be getting $707.31!

Is the 2nd email from an EpiqPay email address?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom