Car Battery Question

I didn't comment on Sam's Club, years ago, I looked at them, but backed away from buying one there. I know I read an article (not this one) that WalMart brand, Everstart, was made by Johnson Controls. I talked to a bunch of people at the company since I contracted there, they really stand behind their product quality.
Since WalMart owns Sam's, I'm assuming it's the same, that's why I suggested you need to ask Sam's Club to be sure.

Hmmmm.... That's somewhere between interesting and confusing.......

BTW, in my posts above I misspoke when I said our local Sam's carried "International" brand batteries. I meant "Interstate." They also carry Optima.

I don't see in the information above that Walmart and Sam's batteries are the same as you state. Are you saying that the Interstate and Optima batteries on the shelf at Sam's are the same (except the label) as the Everstart models at Walmart?

Also, the article is wrong about installation. Sam's does install (at least at our store) and the shop is excellent. It's one of the reasons I go there.

Optima is a totally different construction/technology for auto batteries. They are very expensive, very rugged and popular for extreme conditions (i.e. off-roading). I would not assume that because a company makes batteries under various brand names that the batteries are the same except for the label on the outside, so you pretty much have to go by the specs, the warranty, and the price

When a car battery has reached the 6 yrs old mark, you've already had your money's worth. I'd say either have that changed soon or when it konks out (yes it will if you keep it much longer) replace it then rather than trying to milk it out any longer.

I bought an Interstate battery from Sams Club for my sedan last year...has been slow to crank since it got cold and one time it wouldn't start after the lights were on for <5 minutes with the engine off. Took it to Sams and they said it was bad after only 18 months. Fortunately I got a free exchange (after 18 months they prorate the warranty). Still, disappointed that it didn't even last 2 years.

it is like just about everything in life - you get what you pay for. buy a 4 year battery then it is a very low end battery.

i strongly suspect i have the oldest functioning battery in the usa in my truck! i'd have to look at my maintenance book but iirc it was bought in the mid 90's maybe before that. i bought it at a local auto parts store. it was an 84 or 96 month battery. i can't recall the manufacturer. at the time i had an electric hydraulic snow plow with a good sized alternator on an off road truck so i told them i wanted a heavy duty truck battery. it wasn't cheap but it wasn't super expensive. again i have all the facts just too lazy to go check. that battery still started my truck in mid november, i have not started it since. also i only drive this truck 1 time per month putting about 200 miles a year on it so this battery sits for long periods of time and is used for about 15 miles per month which it starts the truck and the alternator recharges it. i seldom drive it in the winter, the truck is always garaged. the plow is long gone but i am amazed at the longevity of this battery. this spring i may have to buy another but i have thought that for several years!

it is like just about everything in life - you get what you pay for. buy a 4 year battery then it is a very low end battery.

Or is a 6 year battery just the same 4 year battery with an 'insurance premium' added? I'd need some evidence that they make a real difference in the construction/materials. Maybe some brands do, but I suspect it's mostly marketing.

Now those Optima batteries really are in a different class. And you do pay for it, and it may be justified depending on the application.

The place I go for oil changes does a full load test on the battery. I was surprised that my OEM battery in the Volvo indicated it was going strong into the 6th winter, and it did fine. By the next year, I noticed a little slower cranking, and they said it showed a low reading. Of course, a battery can just die even after a good test, if something gives way inside.

I have heard of a few 'miracle' batteries lasting over ten years.

BTW, letting a battery go dead (below 10.2V) can really shorten the life (dome light left on overnight, etc).

-ERD50

My Miata's original battery died last week after 10.5 years. The original is no longer available, so now I have a generic battery at half the cost.

And the other day, I had to replace the original rear brake pads, at 110,000 miles. Man, they don't make these things like they used to.

Before you install a normal battery, be aware of the following: All batteries produce dangerous gases. In most cars, the battery is located under the hood where it can escape to the outside. In the Miata, with the battery located in the trunk, there is no place for the gases from a normal battery to vent. On the factory battery, there is a rubber hose leading from the battery to the outside so that gas does not accumulate the trunk and explode. If you decide not to use a factory battery, you should consider using a container to enclose it that attaches to the factory vent hose. Failure to do so could possibly cause caustic gasses to rust the metal of the trunk, cause an explosion when exposed to heat, cause an explosion in an accident, or worse.

BTW, letting a battery go dead (below 10.2V) can really shorten the life (dome light left on overnight, etc).

+1

That is something many are not aware of. Just a few deep cycles to the 10.2V range of a conventional automotive battery can reduce the life substantially. And it's a good reason why anecdotal evidence about a brand or model might be flawed. You can easily shorten your battery's life by deep cycling it a few times.

I've been looking at those, in the deep cycle configuration, to run my trolling motor. Batteries in the boat take a pounding and these are supposed to be able to handle the thumping and vibration. They're also rated for more charge/draw down cycles than conventional deep cycle wet cell or AGM batteries.

I usually don't buy tires or batteries at Sears because of their irritating hard sell and suggestions for getting other work done while you're in there. But these Optima batteries seem to be available at many retailers.

Or is a 6 year battery just the same 4 year battery with an 'insurance premium' added? I'd need some evidence that they make a real difference in the construction/materials. Maybe some brands do, but I suspect it's mostly marketing.

-ERD50
Typically, a longer warranty (within a given line) will have a higher CCA (cold cranking amps) rating, so in that case there is some tangible evidence. The other magor performance measue is reserve capacity.

I reliably get only 3-4 years in So Cal on batteries. My recent Kirkland (Costco) failed at 3 years (it was actually 2 yrs 11 mos), so I got a new one free! My original factory battery also failed just over 3 years.

Back when I was poor I'd try to nurse a battery along to be sure it was really dying. Nowadays I don't want to deal with an unreliable car; I change it at the first sign of weakness. I bring my tools and change it in the Costco lot, then return the old core. It takes about 10 minutes and I bring some paper towels to wipe off my hands when I'm done.

I've had good luck buying the cheapest battery available. Replaced the original battery on my previous vehicle at 8 yrs with a battery from Walmart, and it was still going strong when I sold the Toyota truck 8.5 yrs later. When I need to replace the OEM battery on my current Honda, will likely go the low price route as well.

I've had good luck buying the cheapest battery available. Replaced the original battery on my previous vehicle at 8 yrs with a battery from Walmart, and it was still going strong when I sold the Toyota truck 8.5 yrs later. When I need to replace the OEM battery on my current Honda, will likely go the low price route as well.
That will work in a warm climate but, if you live where your life can literally depend on the condition of your car, don't do it. At 40 below zero you'd better have a good battery in your car.

Someone here (sorry too lazy to look it up now that this thread has had an extended life) mentioned those red "felt" washers that go around the battery post. Guess I never thought too much about it before but are those things good or bad. On the one hand if they neutralize the acid that somehow gets on top, they're useful for preventing the ground strap from getting chewed up.
On the other hand, it seems to me like a band aid that disguises a small leak around the battery post so that it could then get larger w/o you noticing? before a more catastrophic failure.

Someone here (sorry too lazy to look it up now that this thread has had an extended life) mentioned those red "felt" washers that go around the battery post. Guess I never thought too much about it before but are those things good or bad. On the one hand if they neutralize the acid that somehow gets on top, they're useful for preventing the ground strap from getting chewed up.
On the other hand, it seems to me like a band aid that disguises a small leak around the battery post so that it could then get larger w/o you noticing? before a more catastrophic failure.

I've use vaseline (also used WD-40) to coat the battery posts/connectors. Here's a link from ehow, they mention the felt and petroleum jelly:

How to Protect Car Battery Posts From Corrosion | eHow.com

Optima is a totally different construction/technology for auto batteries. They are very expensive, very rugged and popular for extreme conditions (i.e. off-roading).
I sure hope they're as rugged as they advertise. I put an Optima in our Prius mainly because I don't want to have to do it again for at least 6-8 years.

The Prius, similar to the Miata, also has a trunk-mounted 12v battery. It has a little vent tube hooked up to direct gases to the fender well.

huh if you read my comments my battery is at least 15 years old, probably 1 or 2 more.

I'm not doubting you, I was just saying 10 years or more is very rare for a standard car battery. -ERD50

I'm not doubting you, I was just saying 10 years or more is very rare for a standard car battery. -ERD50

Although chronological life is generally the standard for measuring battery "goodness," the number of draw-downs/re-charges is really key. A battery stored fully charged and then given a periodic, gentle top off charge will almost always last many years. A battery drawn down to dead or near-dead and then fast charged repeatedly might have a life measured in months or even weeks.......

I had no idea car batteries were only supposed to last 3-5 years. My Dodge factory issued one lasted 9.5 years/120K miles!
Still have the original in my '02 Mustang GT vert. Of course, it only has 18k on it (no, nothing has been replaced, including the driver thus far :LOL:).

I'll sell it as soon as my legs give out (it has a "heavy" clutch)...

Most lead-acid batteries last 3 - 6 years. High heat will shorten their life due to overactive chemical action. Heavy draw (starting in extremely cold weather) is rough on them due to lower chemical action.

OP, when you replace your battery, you could coat the battery terminals and posts with a thick grease such as vaseline. This will seal and retard the corrsion on the cables.

My Miata's original battery died last week after 10.5 years. The original is no longer available, so now I have a generic battery at half the cost.

I replaced the original battery in my '97 Miata in 2008. It cost close to $100 to get another gel battery (WestCo) similar to the original. Lead-acid batteries (lower cost) can be a problem in the trunk area due to corrsion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced the original battery in my '97 Miata in 2008. It cost close to $100 to get another gel battery (WestCo) similar to the original. Lead-acid batteries (lower cost) can be a problem in the trunk area due to corrsion.

+1

I'm ordering the WestCo battery this morning, to replace a dead one made in April 2000. I got plenty of life out of the old one. The battery is an [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]absorbed glass mat design, not really gel, but this has the same effect, avoiding a big ole sloshing bucket of sulfuric acid in the trunk.

The old battery has no corrosion on the terminals, and looks brand new (except for the dust coating the top), but it just doesn't hold much of a charge any more.
[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom