Car Dashboard Camera

I have told this story before, but it is worth repeating. My wife was making a left turn, and she made sure that the traffic was clear and the cars were stopping. This guy changed lane to get around a car that was stopping, then accelerated to hit her car at the rear fender. He was initially close to the curb, then changed lane to get to the center of the road. It was a busy intersection, so there were witnesses, but no one stuck around to talk to the police.

When she explained to the police, they said that it would be illegal to change lane to get around a car in front that was stopping and accelerate through the intersection during a yellow light. The light could have turned red already too. The fact that my wife almost completed her left turn and got hit in the rear fender told me that he intentionally ran the light . My wife's car was spun 90 degrees, and his truck got some scratches on the front bumper.

As it occurred only 1 mile from home, my wife called me and I was there shortly after the accident. I saw the driver and two female friends of his standing at the curb talking and laughing. No doubt they were thinking about the insurance claim that they were going to make.

Indeed, later my wife found out that they claimed all kinds of back pain, and as my wife was automatically found at fault because of the left turn, our insurance had to pay each of them around $10K. The insurance also said that they had some other claims against some other drivers.

PS. Since that incident, I have been pro cameras at intersection. Without evidence, it is difficult for innocent drivers to prove they are not at fault.

Last edited:
I use a Mobius camera. Broke apart a cigarette lighter "bullet" USB charger and installed the circuit in my dome light pod to give the camera 5 volts anytime the ignition was on. The Mobius cameras have pretty good configuration settings and it is set to record as soon as power is applied and until 30 seconds after it is switched off. Tucked up behind my rearview mirror, almost no wires visible.

Installed it after someone blew a yield sign and clipped me then lied to her insurance company who "took the insured's word for it...."

Back
Top Bottom