Driving a Rental Car in Normandy.

We did a memorable trip to Normandy and Paris in 2012, picking up the car in a town near Mont Saint-Michel. We had no problems at all, visiting the Mont, a few of the beach landing sites, Bayeux, Honfleur, then dropping the car off in Paris. (Do NOT attempt to drive in Paris if you value your blood pressure :LOL:). As I recall, our biggest issue was paying on the toll roads because payment methods were not standardized, but I think it's much better now.

We had an IDL, but were never asked for it, not even when we picked up the rental car. I've driven all over Europe and in fact have never been asked for it, but I always get one just in case.

We also did a fantastic trip to Brittany a few years later and I highly recommend that region, especially St. Malo which we just fell in love with. :smitten:

You generally take a ticket and then will pay the toll at the pay station at the exit. Sometimes there is a pay station ("peage" is what the sign will say) mid route. In that case, you can look at the signs above. A green arrow will indicate a lane is open (and usually means all forms of payment). Some have a electronic pass like "Bip&Go" ("Liber-t"), marked with a small "t". If there is only a "t" and no green arrow, do not enter. Others will take only a card (card symbol) or CB, and when you see an icon with bills and coins you can still pay by cash (if no green arrow). This cash lane is generally on the right side. Some exits do not have this option, and most stations are unattended. A chip-based credit card - visa or mastercard -- generally now works, most by tapping but some with a card insertion. There is an electronic phone-based pay option but it is not universal either.

It is generally marked before you enter the toll road, usually a major Autoroute -- the "A" roads but not all. In some stretches, you don't pay at all. Some on-ramps will have a ticket station, others none at all until you get to the first section of tolled road ("Section de peage"). Google maps, via Michelin and most rental car navi systems will mark when a toll road is upcoming.

There are also certain roads operating under a new system that will read the car meter or take a license plate number. This will completely eliminate the toll gateways and speed the traffic along. This includes (in 2024) the A13, which you may be using but I believe it won't be active until June. You pay after the fact by going to the sanef website or a kiosk.

BTW, forgot to mention, we once made the mistake of arriving in Paris CDG on a Friday and attempted the drive to our friend's farm. It was before a bank holiday on Monday and the road was so packed!

Last edited:
You should not worry, driving in Normandy is super easy. We have friends who own a farmhouse right in the middle of the area you are visiting. Just get a data plan for your phone or rent a GPS. Review the odd rules of the road and don't speed, and you'll be fine. Watch out for the stray cow or tractor. It is all pretty rural and uncrowded.
Agree, we were there in the fall of 2022, and I didn't find Normandy hard to drive in at all. We even drove there from the airport in Paris, and even that was easier than driving in the Boston to DC corridor.

Thanks all. I appreciate the tips and experiences. Looks like this will be a good place to try renting for the first time in Europe.

Coming to this thread a bit late. We rented a car in Rouen years ago. Set it up via AutoEurope I think and asked for an automatic.

When we got to the rental company they only had one automatic SUV which was a pain to drive in some small little streets. In fact, I had a close encounter with a cement post that was only about 2 feet tall in one tiny alley leading to our hotel in Dijon. Probably the situation is better nowadays. So use your best Visa card that has some insurance on it. After some months they did not charge us after all (I had used the wrong card).

This was before ubiquitous cellular and we used Michelin maps plus Google printouts to get around. I would want a backup like a Michalin map just in case. Still it was memorable and we visited St Michel, Dijon, Normandy area, etc.

Well I’m hoping to avoid the small downtown streets, we are just visiting two small towns from Rouen and staying on the outskirts near major roads but still walkable.

Are you going early enough to avoid the Olympics activity? That will add more road traffic in many places.

Are you going early enough to avoid the Olympics activity? That will add more road traffic in many places.

Yes, thankfully. Olympics start July 26 around Paris. And we aren’t driving to or from Paris. We plan to be outta France two weeks earlier.

I’ll be sure to get my Eurostar tickets well in advance regardless. We plan to travel Amsterdam-Paris by Eurostar and Rouen-Paris by TER.

Last edited:
Ask your car rental company if they have a toll device in the car that they can activate. Ask if there is a daily/rental charge in addition to the toll charges. We did that in Portugal and breezed through on all toll roads. A few weeks later, they billed us for all the toll charges.

I found this discussion

https://www.ncesc.com/how-do-you-pay-for-tolls-in-a-rental-car-in-france/

Make sure you review what the road signs mean.

I started along a road, already stressed from driving a manual transmission car, which I wasn't comfortable with, then realized I could understand the symbols on the signs. I was done. I didn't drive again that trip.

Last year, I drove an electric car on Corsica for 10 days, and it was fantastic. I used my Canadian driver's licence, and did not need an IDL.

Driving in France - Some considerations

We drove all over France a few years back and it wasn't too big a deal but there were some things I prepped on before trip and learned also along the way.

Most car rentals are for standard / manual transmission so unless you're ok with shifting a stick; ask for an automatic but it will cost more and may not be available depending where you pickup your rental. Insurance coverage is waay lower than U.S. so I'd recommend you opt for insurance. Sure, your credit card may offer some damage/collission coverage but it's a super hassle to get a claim resolved overseas (from people I know who've had to) and thanks to EU laws, there's not the same wild west personal injury atmosphere that we have in the U.S., hence lawyers generally don't get to split settlements with clients as they do in U.S.

Also -- be prepared for tolls on major highways. We drove from Toulouse in South France all the way up the coast to Honfleur and back to Paris and paid our share of tolls but the highways are superb and people drove the speed limit 99% of the time due to radar / speed camera zones (which are usually marked). If you speed, you'll get a fine in the mail a week or two later and the amount will be deducted by the rental agency.

ROUNDABOUTS -- this is the biggest area of confusion for Americans -- we had friends wreck their rental because they didn't understand how to merge in / out of a roundabout and they got distracted by the GPS voice direction and vague road signage. You may want to sharpen your knowledge about this and check out some driving tips on YouTube.

GPS in cars is a little different in France (at the time we rented) it works pretty well but not as user friendly in U.S. as when you key in a destination....you'll likely scroll through a half-dozen or more places with similiar names. We didn't realize that some things on a map are abbreviated sometimes and leave out middle names. Also anything with a "..sur-mer " is likely to have a ton of towns so be advised. We used our cell GPS / Google Maps as a backup.

Be aware of parking places as not all places are legal and even some "car parks" were hard to get in and out of. In Caen we learned we could park free on the street outside the hotel during limited hours like overnight but move before 7am or we'd get ticketed. The underground garage was a bear to get in and out of even in our small Renault as they squeeze as many parking slots as they can in those.

And do get familiar with traffic signage as it's quite different than U.S. Some things like "No Entry" symbols, etc, can sneak up on you in a flash and you're going down the wrong way in a tiny street. Normandy is pretty easy to get around but if you are on a local / rural route ... always be vigilant as some locals will pass on curves and do things that defy logic and good safety practices. There were a couple times around La Rochelle area that gave me a startle. We were driving on a narrow roadway in the country and all of a sudden a mass of bicyclists came heading towards really fast. I pulled over and waited for them to pass as it was some type of competition.

Here's a link to road signage:
http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/french-road-signs/

Last edited:
OK I finally woke up with my Normandy car rental and realized I needed to return in Caen instead of Rouen, thus saving a couple of hours of driving an the already longish travel day, duh!

Funny, those rental car offices at train stations close between 12 and 2 so you have to pickup before or after. If you choose a pick-up time in between then nothing is available. Glad I cracked that secret code.

Via AutoEurope looks like it’s doable. Funny when I put in the initial times and locations, they show options from Hertz and EuropCar. When I pick automatic transmission (I think) the Hertz option disappears. Hertz was €200 more expensive.

I haven’t booked anything yet - early days yet - reviewing possibilities.

Anyone have experience dealing with EuropCar or Hertz Europe rental?

Right. Tap to pay works easily from what I see. Mechanically I think it would be easier to hold out the card to tap at a Toll Booth than manipulating my watch for ApplePay which also wouldn’t reach as far. I have short arms.

I have driven lots of places in Europe although never in France except for one brief excursion to Nice from Italy almost 30 years ago. I would be pretty comfortable in relatively rural Normandy but maybe not Paris. Italy was pretty terrifying at times.

In Spain in 2019 I drove on several toll roads and paid periodically at unattended toll booths. I don't remember cash being an option but everything seemed to work seamlessly. It was sometimes confusing which line to be in but frankly I have that same issue here when I go places with tolls. I just slow down early enough to look at the options and process while ignoring people who might be behind me and honk.

Gas stations can present interesting challenges although the attendants are usually familiar with them and are very helpful. I've run into things like them only accepting cards issued from the particular country and that kind of thing although I think COVID caused a rethink in Europe and cashless payments have gotten much more seamless.

In Sweden last summer I pulled into a station, grabbed the non-green pump handle and tried to fill up. Here green in diesel. In Sweden green was unleaded. (I am basically fluent so this was not a language issue, just me assuming things like that would be the same as in the US).

Really, it sounds like you are well prepared.

OK I finally woke up with my Normandy car rental and realized I needed to return in Caen instead of Rouen, thus saving a couple of hours of driving an the already longish travel day, duh!

Funny, those rental car offices at train stations close between 12 and 2 so you have to pickup before or after. If you choose a pick-up time in between then nothing is available. Glad I cracked that secret code.

Via AutoEurope looks like it’s doable. Funny when I put in the initial times and locations, they show options from Hertz and EuropCar. When I pick automatic transmission (I think) the Hertz option disappears. Hertz was €200 more expensive.

I haven’t booked anything yet - early days yet - reviewing possibilities.

I have only rented from Hertz when in Europe. The often operate out of car dealerships in areas that are not airports or major train stations. Car dealerships can be in industrial areas far from public transportation so you may need to take a taxi. Not really a big deal though. In my experience they are far less aggressive about upselling insurance, gas, etc. in Europe. I did run into issues in Tahiti in 2022 where I was forced to take the unneeded insurance or be denied a car. Tahiti is part of France so I'm just saying the law may not protect you against stuff like this like it does here. Hertz was basically no help.

ROUNDABOUTS -- this is the biggest area of confusion for Americans -- we had friends wreck their rental because they didn't understand how to merge in / out of a roundabout and they got distracted by the GPS voice direction and vague road signage. You may want to sharpen your knowledge about this and check out some driving tips on YouTube.

Be aware of parking places as not all places are legal and even some "car parks" were hard to get in and out of. In Caen we learned we could park free on the street outside the hotel during limited hours like overnight but move before 7am or we'd get ticketed. The underground garage was a bear to get in and out of even in our small Renault as they squeeze as many parking slots as they can in those.

The rule I use with roundabouts is simple: stay on the outside lane and don't worry about going around more than once if unsure of your exit.

Be prepared to download and use a bunch of parking apps. The age of free parking is basically over. This is happening everywhere, not just in Europe!

Please tell me more about the toll roads. I understand that the A and N letter roads usually have tolls. I see tap to pay is common.

Is it true that when you enter a toll road like an autoroute, ‘voie rapide’ etc. you pick up a ticket and then you insert the ticket and pay at your exit of same road?

I don't know how it works in France but in Spain in 2019 on the road I was on it was ticket-based in some cases but in others you just had to pay to leave a certain section and access the exits on the other side. This was usually over deserted sections where there were no exits.

The rule I use with roundabouts is simple: stay on the outside lane and don't worry about going around more than once if unsure of your exit.
Roundabouts are very tricky for beginners and you need to be on high alert.

In Ireland and the UK I run into multi lane roundabouts where the middle lane can exit. Thus, if I was tooling along in the outside lane I would interfere with the exit lane. (I almost got smashed once doing just this). Be aware that there are usually signs and even painting on the road telling you what lane to be in based on the exit you want. It's a bit unnerving to enter the roundabout in the middle or even third lane.

Usually the person in the roundabout has the right of way. But not in Hungerford, UK (and maybe plenty of other places). In Hungerford, the person coming into the roundabout has ROW if they are on what is deemed to be the main road, and are within about 50' of the roundabout. If you are entering from what is deemed to be a side road, you must yield.

Some roundabouts have traffic signals. Usually at large intersections are maybe where motorways intersect. Be aware. What makes this tricky is that not all parts of the roundabout may have a signal. So, you may enter a roundabout without a signal, and halfway around encounter a red light!

I drove over 7000 miles in the UK and Ireland last summer with only one near miss. You'll be fine on French roundabouts, just stay alert.

Gas stations can present interesting challenges although the attendants are usually familiar with them and are very helpful. I've run into things like them only accepting cards issued from the particular country and that kind of thing although I think COVID caused a rethink in Europe and cashless payments have gotten much more seamless.

In Sweden last summer I pulled into a station, grabbed the non-green pump handle and tried to fill up. Here green in diesel. In Sweden green was unleaded. (I am basically fluent so this was not a language issue, just me assuming things like that would be the same as in the US).

Really, it sounds like you are well prepared.
I expect to use less than 1 tank of gas on this trip so my strategy will be to pre-pay and avoid that hassle this time.

I usually use Hertz, only because I have a high loyalty program status (leftover from an old job) and I think it may help avoid any hassles. I've used Sixt in the past, and heard that that AutoEurope is fine. Just stick with the big multinationals and all seems to work out.

The 2 hour for lunch thing is such a rural French office thing, LOL. More major cities and tourist areas will remain open during the day ;) Bon voyage.

Just stick with the big multinationals and all seems to work out.

I agree. I've used Hertz, Avis, and Sixt in several different European countries and never had a problem with any of them.

I usually use Hertz, only because I have a high loyalty program status (leftover from an old job) and I think it may help avoid any hassles. I've used Sixt in the past, and heard that that AutoEurope is fine. Just stick with the big multinationals and all seems to work out.

The 2 hour for lunch thing is such a rural French office thing, LOL. More major cities and tourist areas will remain open during the day ;) Bon voyage.

Thanks.

Yeah I figured the area airports didn’t have those kinds of noon closure hours.

Rouen at the Gare Rouen has those same hours, so we’ll have to pick up the car at 11:30 instead of 12:30 or 1. Rouen isn’t that small either, but there you go.

I do have a Hertz gold membership that I got through AAA maybe I should check that out.

I had just finished booking our lodging for the Normandy portions of our trip. So I was reviewing the train travel plans returning to Paris which included returning the rental car and thus timing on the rental car.

Last edited:
Make sure you know if the car is gas or diesel before leaving the car rental.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom