Car Indulgences - Driving 3 Cars

Any suggestions on where you would go today for honest car auctions?

Actually, no, but ALWAYS pay for a independent firm to inspect (Pre-Purchase Inspection) any car you are going to buy sight unseen. Usually they charge $150 and it's worth it. That is if you are bidding on a high value car (Classic, expensive BMW, MB, Jag, etc). There are firms that specialize in doing this for you. If a seller won't agree to you having a PPI done, then forget the car.

That would even include auctions like Mecum, etc. Better yet, go in person and buy at the suction and also have a PPI done before hand.

+1

She even drove the better car in the TV series back in the day... A Mustang II if I remember.. POS car but not for the timeframe.

Farrah drove the Mustang II Cobra on the show. And yes, it was a low point for Ford.

Attachments

• Farrah.jpg
    Farrah.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 17
Farrah drove the Mustang II Cobra on the show. And yes, it was a low point for Ford.
Ford sold a record 330K Mustangs in one year (1974) so it cannot be all bad but if I had a 74 Cobra, I would take one wth a 4 speed manual.

She even drove the better car in the TV series back in the day... A Mustang II if I remember.. POS car but not for the timeframe.

I could easily be wrong about that since it was an "off the cuff comment" and the images in my mind are not focused on the cars for some reason.

Anyway, I had to go look and here's what I found:

"Kelly Garrett drove a Ford Mustang II Ghia, Sabrina Duncan drove a Ford Pinto, and Jill Munroe drove a Ford Mustang II Cobra"

Personally, I wouldn't take the Pinto as a gift and I'm really not interested in either of the Mustang II's either. :)

fd9ade38d9c8340fb51a257e3bbabc76.jpg

Last edited:
Another + for Jaclyn Smith, she was stunningly beautiful.

I could easily be wrong about that since if was an "off the cuff comment" and the images in my mind are not focused on the cars for some reason.

Anyway, I had to go look and here's what I found:

"Kelly Garrett drove a Ford Mustang II Ghia, Sabrina Duncan drove a Ford Pinto, and Jill Munroe drove a Ford Mustang II Cobra"

Personally, I wouldn't take the Pinto as a gift and I'm really not interested in either of the Mustang II's either. :)

fd9ade38d9c8340fb51a257e3bbabc76.jpg
At least the Pinto was in the back of the pack. Bad deal if it was in the front and had been rear ended! :cool:

At least the Pinto was in the back of the pack. Bad deal if it was in the front and had been rear ended! :cool:

Could end up like this:

Last edited:
I love Vettes but they are known to attract a number of things. Like shopping carts just seem to be pulled towards Vettes like magnets, and jealous people with keys in their hands just can't stay away, and of course cops love them. I honestly can't recall how many times I was stopped in my Vettes, but it was a lot. Mostly got warnings... Now I dive SUV's with almost twice the horsepower as my Vettes but I have never been pulled over those... :confused::)

When I had my hardtop C5 corvette, I never go shopping with the Vette. Vette was for pleasure only....and that is why I also have a beater van to drive for practical things. I am also very picky where I drive for pleasure which is where no cops are around...normally open country roads where cops can't hide. It was fun with the 6 speed manual but I noticed most newer Vettes are automatics. Next Vette will be a convertible because I once drove a rental mustang convertible in Hawaii. Driving a fast convertible during a warm summer night with the stars and moon above me is something I want to experience again. It really felt like I was traveling in a spaceship.

It was fun with the 6 speed manual but I noticed most newer Vettes are automatics.
:) Those days are completely now gone.... Manual transmissions are not even an option on the new Vettes. An 8 speed auto is the only transmission option on the C8's. I liked the old manuals too but now the new electronic autos have more gears, quicker shifting and higher performance than the old manuals... On the bright side, using the paddle shifters does put a lot of the thrill of shifting control back in the drivers hands, if and when they want it....

You can still get it in a convertible (retractable roof) if you like, so there is that too.

Last edited:
:) Those days are completely now gone.... Manual transmissions are not even an option on the new Vettes. An 8 speed auto is the only transmission option on the C8's. I liked the old manuals too but now the new electronic autos have more gears, quicker shifting and higher performance than the old manuals... On the bright side, using the paddle shifters does put a lot of the thrill of shifting control back in the drivers hands, if and when they want it....

You can still get it in a convertible (retractable roof) if you like, so there is that too.

These transmissions are dual clutch (manual) with two gear trains, electronically shifted. I believe VW developed the first dual clutch transmissions around 2005 as I had one called a DSG (direct shift gearbox) in a diesel Jetta I drove. They are not traditional automatic transmissions with a torque converter and pump system. My Jetta transmission held about 6 liters of fluid and had a canister filter. The service interval was 40,000 miles.

They are very fast shifting units.

When I had my hardtop C5 corvette, I never go shopping with the Vette. Vette was for pleasure only....and that is why I also have a beater van to drive for practical things. I am also very picky where I drive for pleasure which is where no cops are around...normally open country roads where cops can't hide. It was fun with the 6 speed manual but I noticed most newer Vettes are automatics. Next Vette will be a convertible because I once drove a rental mustang convertible in Hawaii. Driving a fast convertible during a warm summer night with the stars and moon above me is something I want to experience again. It really felt like I was traveling in a spaceship.

Back in 2001, I was thinking about getting a manual in my C5. Sat in one with a manual and didn't like how low I sat compared to the stick. I was used to driving trucks with manuals, but the Corvette with a manual is a totally different animal. So I went with the auto.

:) Those days are completely now gone.... Manual transmissions are not even an option on the new Vettes. An 8 speed auto is the only transmission option on the C8's. I liked the old manuals too but now the new electronic autos have more gears, quicker shifting and higher performance than the old manuals...

Too bad about no manual transmission on the C8. I had a disagreement with some people on this forum on self driving cars. They were predicting that self driving cars will soon take over......and that people will have to turn over their corvettes to the government for the self driving cars because studies have shown self driving cars have less accidents.

Those same people probably never owned a Vette in their life and they rather ride in a safe, boring, self driving car. They will never experience the thrill of a sports car.

Too bad about no manual transmission on the C8.
Yes BUT, these new automatics are absolutely amazing. Under normal driving conditions you can't tell (I can't anyway) any difference between them and the old traditional hydraulic autos. Put in drive, just mash the gas and go. But if you are an aggressive/spirited driver you'll notice the difference very quickly.... Extremely fast and solid shifting, more efficient than the older automatics and more gear control than a manual if you use the paddle shifters.

With eight gears (up to 10 on some) it can take some serious practice to get the right gear and rpm combination if you are pushing the limits... At least is has been for me...

I had a disagreement with some people on this forum on self driving cars. They were predicting that self driving cars will soon take over......and that people will have to turn over their corvettes to the government for the self driving cars because studies have shown self driving cars have less accidents. Those same people probably never owned a Vette in their life and they rather ride in a safe, boring, self driving car. They will never experience the thrill of a sports car.
Sometimes it's best just not to argue with some people on certain topics... :):):)

Last edited:
Hey the 64.5 Mustang was not much better with the gas tank in the trunk. They just hid the issue better with this car.
I didn't know the gas tanks were actually in the trunk in the original Mustangs...I thought they were under the trunk, like most cars... Hey but what do I know :) But the early first gen Mustangs were really cool cars. Not so with the Pinto's, IMO... :)

Last edited:
.... I believe VW developed the first dual clutch transmissions around 2005 as I had one called a DSG (direct shift gearbox) in a diesel Jetta I drove. They are not traditional automatic transmissions with a torque converter and pump system. My Jetta transmission held about 6 liters of fluid and had a canister filter. The service interval was 40,000 miles.

They are very fast shifting units.

Just sold a 2012 VW CC with the DSG six speed. Loved the car and the transmission was the best part of it. Silky smooth shifting, auto or manual. That, and the 211 hp 2 liter turbo.

Back
Top Bottom