Car Purchase Timing

I did get a price on a new 2019 XC60 that is about 6.8% below MSRP which Truecar and Edmunds say is good.

I have offers to me on 2 2018 XC60s with a little over 3k miles. One of them is offered as a CPO at about 12.3% off MSRP. The other is offered as a new car with extended warranted for about 9.3% off MSRP.

I would call those good deals. The XC60 is an awesome car.

I would call those good deals. The XC60 is an awesome car.

Listen to him. He has the big brain. You are making me think about buying the XC60 here in the States. I am losing hope that it will return to the OSD lineup. Here is what you can do. Buy the XC40 OSD. Then sell in the US while it is still "hot". Then buy your XC60 at a discount

Used car value calculator

https://www.edmunds.com/appraisal/

XC60 leases well right now if you don't want to put the cash into buying one.

search for the above on leasehackr [sic] dot com forums.

I had an XC40 on order under the Care By Volvo (CBV) program, waited 6 months, had a VIN and delivery shortly and I gave in, cancelled the order. IMHO the XC40 is very interesting, a new model on a new platform. Not much Volvo history follows it. Nice package, although I couldn't order the exact configuration I wanted in the CBV program. I looked at a lot of vehicles, the Mazda CX5, Jeep Cherokee, MB GLC 300, Subaru, the Lexus RX350, VW, several BMWs and more. I was replacing a 4WD Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) and wanted some off road capability and the ability to tow a small teardrop trailer. I would have gone with a Lexus except I HATE the way it looks, when I was younger and pooer and bought old, used cars I didn't care about looks but spending big(er) money on something ugly just doesn't work for me, regardless of reliability.
Some day the XC40s will be discounted, just not soon. They had, no kidding, 80,000 orders for the car. I have seen my dealer mark it up $1.2K over MSRP and another at $4K+. For a while every one was sold beofre it arrived. The dealer kept two for test drives they wouldn't sell. So good luck on pricing. But even at MSRP it is an interesting car. I loved the interior and in 'sport' it goes pretty well.
But there are other good cars out there. If you don't need a lot of power and real 4WD look closely at the Mazda CX5, the only non turbo of the group.
But I ultimately bought, 4 days ago, a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. I have owned 2 Jeeps, my son 2 my sister has 2 and I know they have mixed reliability but I do understand their configuration. And I really do use it off road a bit in Death Vally, Anza Borrego and had a trip up the Dempster Hwy in Canada. I am planning on being a bit less adventerous as I get older (and my wife now prefers hotels to camping) but the draw of the serious 4WD won me over. And its a decent road car too.
I am seeing and expecting that the XC40 will have teething issues. And dealers are inconsistent in their reputation for helpfulness, really important as service may be hard to come by. So its good that you are not in a hurry. You will get a better deal and know more about reliability and quality of your dealer.

So this was interesting. I went to a Volvo dealer and looked at 4 XC60s (2 from 2018 and 2 from 2019) and one XC40. This is a very large volume dealer. To be in perspective. They have over 25 XC40s when most dealers in this state have 1 to 3.

The car we ended up being most interested in is a 2018 R Design XC60. It is discounted 12.3% and is considered CPO as it has been registered by the dealership since February. It has a little over 3700 miles on it. It looks fine and drives beautifully.

The negatives -

1. I think about 8 to 9 months of the manufacturer's warranty has been used up due to when it was put in service. That said they are giving a 3 year/50k extended warranty for free so that isn't an issue. I was told that beginning on 11/1 Volvo will be offering only 1 year/unlimited miles on these warranties. So if I want this car I would only buy it before 11/1.

2. It is considered a used car so if I wanted financing I would have to finance it as a used car. We were planning to pay cash but I had considered putting maybe half of the purchase on a loan and then paying off next year so I didn't have to pull any money out of the IRA this year.

3. The car has an MSRP over $55k because it has the $3200 premium sound system. I am sure it is nice but is something that is not important to me. Is a 12.3% discount enough to offset that? I am not sure. This is an area where I would like to see more discount since that option is not of value to me.

4. The red of the R Design is a flat red instead of the metallic red on the Momentum and Inscription trims. I like the metallic red better. That said, the R Design red is acceptable.

DH loved this car. He particularly liked the HUD which is something not available on the XC40. He liked driving the R Design more than the XC40. He also liked that it is AWD.

That said - this car at its current price is about $5600 more than the red XC40 that I looked at earlier. I think it is worth that difference. Still given the mileage, warranty, and sound system I would live a little more discount on this car. But, we are seriously interested in it.

We looked at a 2019 new Momentum XC60 and new Inscription XC60. They were almost identical and only about $350 apart in price. The only difference were the slight styling differences of the Inscription. As between the 2 I would get the Inscription. Asking price of the 2019 Inscription is only $1500 more than the R Design which isn't much given the 3700 miles on the 2018 R Design. However - the R Design is AWD and the Inscription is FWD. And the R Design has that $3200 sound system (which isn't worth much to me...).

At this point I am going to make further inquiry on the R Design and see if I can do better on the price and get more info as to the actual in service date and how the car was used.

Can you pick up that XC40 in Sweden and make a holiday out of it?

Yes, but we would have to wait probably 6 months to get the car. DH doesn't want to wait that long for a car. But that is the only want to get an XC40 at a discount. If there wasn't such a long lead time we would probably do that.

Neither Edmunds nor KBB give a used car value for the 2018 XC60. They only want to show it as a new car.

I think aja8888 is right: my best option is to look up retail prices for used 2018 XC60s.

This developed in an interesting way. I sent in some questions about the 2018 XC60 R-Design which were answered OK. Turns out that the car is still considered a new car as it has been registered although it was used as a loaner/demo so is eligible for new car financing, etc.

About 1 year of the 4 yr/50k warranty has been used up since it went into service. That is a lot. However, the car comes with the 3 yr/50k Volvo extended warranty meaning there is 6 years left and a little over 96k miles. So we offered about $1k less than what was being asked for.

I felt the asking price was a good discount but should be a bit higher given how much of the warranty has been used.

The response I got was interesting. I was offered to split the difference between my offer and what they were asking. That was acceptable to me.

But the other option they gave me was that they would reduce the price another $1000 and I would not get the extended warranty.

That actually took a bit of thought. We almost certainly will keep the car at least 6 years and probably longer. On the other hand, I don't usually buy extended warranties as I think they are too expensive for what you get.

But in this case, I was basically being given the option to buy the extended warranty for $1000. From my research on warranty costs this is a good amount for that. Of course, maybe I will make no claims on it at all. But, it was low enough to make it worthwhile to do it.

Well, I looked at kbb and autotrader didn't find anything as they don't do this car for used cars.

I did get a price on a new 2019 XC60 that is about 6.8% below MSRP which Truecar and Edmunds say is good.

I have offers to me on 2 2018 XC60s with a little over 3k miles. One of them is offered as a CPO at about 12.3% off MSRP. The other is offered as a new car with extended warranted for about 9.3% off MSRP. Not sure why the difference is discount between the two except one of them is a CPO.

It seems that getting the extended warranty is a good idea given potential reliability issues. I would prioritize that for sure.

Order a XC40 with the options that you want for $41k. Put together exactly what you want and email it to all Volvo dealers within 150-200 miles and tell them that you need their best out-the-door price and that you intend to order the car in 3 days.

We faced a similar dilemma when we bought our Subaru Outback... it was a popular model and flying off the shelves. There was a dealer about 2 hours away that was willing to discount it some.... only 2-3% as I recall. I was able to squeeze our local dealer to within $200 so we decided to go local and save ourselves 4 hours of driving.

We have ordered our last two new vehicles... principally because the stock on dealer lots usually are loaded up with trim levels or options that we could care less about and add significantly to the cost of the vehicle.... by ordering we can get exactly what we want and the features that we want and need.

If the old car needs tires before you are ready to sell, check craigslist for used tires.

PB; Your experience interests me. What I'm trying to figure out is what discount to expect if ordering the car, compared to the discount I can expect if I buy one off the lot. Assume that the car is not under unusually high demand or have particularly low inventory.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

There is only one thing that drives uncontrollable fear into the heart of a man. And that is the day your warranty expires on a Mercedes.

I have been driving Mercedes since 1987. Anything and I mean anything that goes wrong outside of the warranty magically costs a minimum of $1,800. I would get the extended warranty! Especially on a Volvo. Just one warranty claim and you are ahead of the game. Especially since you plan to keep it for 6 years. 6 years is a million years in car years! It’s like dog years.

It all depends on supply and demand. The discount from MSRP was modest on the Outback since it was in high demand. The discount from MSRP was more substantial on the Canyon. The big advantage was not having to pay for trim levels or options that we didn't care for.

I use Truecar as a benchmark.

Well Kats, I don't envy you as DW and I are deep in to new car chasing game and I know it's just not as fun as it sounds. Just too many options out there.

We too love the look of the Volvo XC series, but unfortunately the closest dealer is 300 miles away. No way I'm purchasing new without a local dealer to service potential warranty issues. I did get to drive a 2018 XC90 with 7000 miles at the local CarMax dealer, but have to say wasn't too impressed with the interior setup. I found a 2010 XC90 at a Jeep dealer and test drove that to check longer term drivability and that particular tranny made some pretty weird sounds. Even the salesman was uncomfortable driving that one. Bottom line we've ruled out the Volvo after much research and have settled on a 2019 Subaru Outback. If all goes well we'll be picking up our new car this Saturday. For what it's worth, I negotiated $4884 off of MSRP ($2000 below dealer Invoice) + $150 doc fee.

I'll be glad when it's over.

Kat, I saw your thread on Swedespeed and I still think you should go with the XC60 as you've been wanting one for 8 years (PS I'm the original owner of a 2010 XC60 and plan to get my 2nd one next summer).

I'm almost 100% positive that the extended warranty can be added at anytime while the factory warranty is still in effect. From being on Ss for years, Steingold Volvo is the go-to place for extended warranties.

Kat, I saw your thread on Swedespeed and I still think you should go with the XC60 as you've been wanting one for 8 years (PS I'm the original owner of a 2010 XC60 and plan to get my 2nd one next summer).

And, we did it. We now own an 2018 XC60 R-Design. We did go for the option that had the extended warranty. Essentially it cost $1000 to get the warranty which is way less than it would cost to get it otherwise.

I always felt the XC60 that I didn't get back then was the one that got away so to speak. I had originally felt the XC40 was better for the budget and we didn't really need to larger car now. But -- with the combination of the discount on this car due to the mileage on it and the lack of discounting on the XC40, this car was less than $6000 more than the XC40 and had so much more including being AWD.

I would never have sought out to get a $3200 sound system option but I must admit I loved listening to it as I drove home. Even listening to news programs was great.

Welcome to the cult....errr....club!

I am envious. I think sooner than not Mrs Scrapr is going to have the newer Volvo in our family. i may negotiate an inter family trade :D:dance:

And, we did it. We now own an 2018 XC60 R-Design. We did go for the option that had the extended warranty. Essentially it cost $1000 to get the warranty which is way less than it would cost to get it otherwise.

I always felt the XC60 that I didn't get back then was the one that got away so to speak. I had originally felt the XC40 was better for the budget and we didn't really need to larger car now. But -- with the combination of the discount on this car due to the mileage on it and the lack of discounting on the XC40, this car was less than $6000 more than the XC40 and had so much more including being AWD.

I would never have sought out to get a $3200 sound system option but I must admit I loved listening to it as I drove home. Even listening to news programs was great.

Congratulations!! I'm so glad you found a car you wanted and it is yours, now. :D

Welcome to the cult....errr....club!

+1
You're going to love it. And the new SPA version of the XC60 is really different (and better) than the previous generation.

Next time, plan on going for the OSD experience if you can.

+1
You're going to love it. And the new SPA version of the XC60 is really different (and better) than the previous generation.

Next time, plan on going for the OSD experience if you can.

Currently, the XC60 is not available for OSD. I'm really hoping that the tariff wars on China goods would have forced US production back to Europe, but that's a long shot at best.

Good for you. As much as I love my 2010 XC60, I'm really looking forward to the SPA version next year. You're really in for a treat with this car.

We bought a used 2016 Sante Fe Sport last year. We normally have always bought new cars, but decided now that we are getting near retirement it is time to be more frugal than we already are. We have spent so much money on cars over the years- living in a rural area and having long commutes- and me needing to use my car for daily traveling on the job as well. Our jobs have killed all our cars and looking back we wasted money by buying new ones, though we also were given a bunch of hand me downs from my parents over the years as well.

We also always kept 3 cars because if one broke down, we would have use of another vehicle until the other was repaired. Also, we liked to keep one as a pleasure car- a nicer car to use when vacationing or going visiting on weekends, etc.

Well- we love the Sante Fe Sport! Better than our 2013 Honda CRV! It is so roomy and rides well. It had a little over 30,000 miles when we got it for a great price at a Hyundai dealership. It was a car rental at Enterprise at one time and even had another owner after that. But it is like new and worth every penny of the $16,000 we paid for it. Best deal we could find last minute when our 2004 RAV 4 kicked the bucket. We bought it in one weekend doing an exhausting on line search and making calls to dealers and dropping everything and heading up to the dealer an hour away from our home one Saturday late afternoon. We called them and said- please hold- we're coming!

Since I am not working I am in the process of selling my a 2013 Honda FIT- which I did enjoy driving. Has 99,000 miles on it and runs great. But figured we would save on insurance and maintenance and repairs. 2 cars should be just fine for us- though it will be the first time we have ever had just 2 cars! LOL!

The CRV- well- we have had some issues with it- it was not driven a lot- except weekends and vacations -and we had to replace the brakes and roters twice with under 25000 miles on it! Now I am having my husband take it to work twice per week for his long commute- alternating with the Sante Fe Sport.

Also recently he electronic key lock stopped working and we have to lock the car manually from the inside door and open the door by sticking the key in the drivers side lock. We are not going to spend the money to repair it, that's for sure. Of course, the alarm system does not work now either, though the red light flashes- oh, well. Not a biggie.

But I am surprisingly disappointed with the CRV overall. The FIT it runs great- but it is very "tinny"- like cheap aluminum or something. One thing- I would never buy either one of them again, though I am not totally unhappy with them- just not crazy about them like most people are. I think our past Toyotas were much better. Next time I would try a Subaru I think. Or another Hyundai! But USED!

We figured we would keep the CRV as it is an SUV (and where we live it is important to have one in winter and also again, for road trips- vacations and otherwise) and it has much less mileage than the FIT. I will mainly use the CRV for my limited excursions out doing errands or for appts. and hubby will continue to use it along with the Sante Fe Sport for commuting, too.

But- anyway- my pitch is for the Sante Fe or Sante Fe Sport. Forget the Volvo!

Last edited:
But I am surprisingly disappointed with the CRV overall.

Plenty of variation there -- just the luck of the draw.

I had a 2013 CR-V (same as yours) and it was the best car I'd ever owned (until I got my Volvo this year). Over 100K miles on it, and no maintenance beyond routine oil changes etc.
But I suppose I'm just the ideal customer for them -- it was the third CR-V in a row I had owned. Bought all of them new and put well over 100K miles on each of them, same story (only routine maintenance). In fact, the only reason I went looking for something different was because the new 2018 CR-V had changed the seat design to be less comfortable for me than previously.

I had a 2010 CRV and it was a dog ! Paint came off in clumps and the air conditioning went at 35000 miles .

I am a believer in the CR auto data. I had an employer provided new vehicle every year for seven years. Different models, same make. I made a point of comparing my experiences in each of those years with the CR reports.

The reports often mirrored my experiences. Right down to the last vehicle I had. It required a new transmission at 15k miles and a control module arpound the same time. A few others in our fleet plan who selected the same make/model had similar experiences.

The reports may not be 100 accurate but the do provide a general insight into model/make attributes

Last edited:
.... Bottom line we've ruled out the Volvo after much research and have settled on a 2019 Subaru Outback. If all goes well we'll be picking up our new car this Saturday. For what it's worth, I negotiated $4884 off of MSRP ($2000 below dealer Invoice) + $150 doc fee.

I'll be glad when it's over.

IME that is real good negotiating for an Outback. We really like our 2016 Outback... great, solid, comfortable road car. We got 32 mpg on our recent 1,500+ mile road trip to FL.

I would have the same issue with the Volvo.... nice vehicle but no local dealer for 6 months out of the year in our case.

Last edited:
Love those Santa Fe Sports , will buy one next time around . Lot of value for the price .

Back
Top Bottom