Car Repair: Paint Issue

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm hoping to get some input on how to best handle this issue...

Ten days ago, I was driving my 2006 luxury SUV (Don't get excited, I bought it used and got great deal on it :cool: and was planning on driving it forever) through an intersection. A lady ran a red light and hit my vehicle's front end, ripping off the bumper cover and grille and doing ~$4200 worth of damage. Thankfully, no one was seriously injured. I sustained some whiplash.

I live in a no-fault state. The car was towed to a dealership for repairs. This dealership is part of my insurance company's "Circle of Dependability" or something like that (e.g. a preferred supplier).

I picked up my vehicle last night, just before closing. The repairs looked good [-]in the dim light of the dealer's lot.[/-]

When I looked at it this morning in the bright light of day, I could see that the new parts and areas freshly painted (bumper, quarter panel, driver's door) are a different shade than the original color. The OE vehicle color is "Desert Sand" (a tan/beige metallic with a clear coat). The newly painted areas have a noticeable pearly-white tinge to them. Where it is most obvious is at the front, where you can clearly see the newly-painted bumper (the 2 small square plugs in it, which are access points for the jack, appear to be yet a slightly different shade), that is topped by a sort of "gold-ish" toned grille, topped by the OE-color hood.

The quality (sheen, texture, etc.) of the new paint job looks great. It's just that the color is 'off'.

The vehicle only has 58,000 miles on it, and is in GREAT condition, so this really annoys me every time I look at it.

How would you suggest that I best handle this? Contact the body shop? Call my contact person in the claims office? Forget it?

omni

I'm hoping to get some input on how to best handle this issue...

Ten days ago, I was driving my 2006 luxury SUV (Don't get excited, I bought it used and got great deal on it :cool: and was planning on driving it forever) through an intersection. A lady ran a red light and hit my vehicle's front end, ripping off the bumper cover and grille and doing ~$4200 worth of damage. Thankfully, no one was seriously injured. I sustained some whiplash.

I live in a no-fault state. The car was towed to a dealership for repairs. This dealership is part of my insurance company's "Circle of Dependability" or something like that (e.g. a preferred supplier).

I picked up my vehicle last night, just before closing. The repairs looked good [-]in the dim light of the dealer's lot.[/-]

When I looked at it this morning in the bright light of day, I could see that the new parts and areas freshly painted (bumper, quarter panel, driver's door) are a different shade than the original color. The OE vehicle color is "Desert Sand" (a tan/beige metallic with a clear coat). The newly painted areas have a noticeable pearly-white tinge to them. Where it is most obvious is at the front, where you can clearly see the newly-painted bumper (the 2 small square plugs in it, which are access points for the jack, appear to be yet a slightly different shade), that is topped by a sort of "gold-ish" toned grille, topped by the OE-color hood.

The quality (sheen, texture, etc.) of the new paint job looks great. It's just that the color is 'off'.

The vehicle only has 58,000 miles on it, and is in GREAT condition, so this really annoys me every time I look at it.

How would you suggest that I best handle this? Contact the body shop? Call my contact person in the claims office? Forget it?

omni
Don't forget it. It is a poor job.

Ha

Yup, body shop first, if no satisfaction get the Ins company involved. If none of this works get a few estimates and go to small claims court. First let the body shop know your intentions if they don't take care of it.

Thanks for your responses.

I will be at the body shop on Monday morning.

omni

Update

I went to the body shop this morning and spoke to the manager about my concern with the paint and showed him the various shades of paint on my vehicle.

He said that when painting metal and plastic in the body shop it's a bit tricky to get them all to look the same and match the OE paint (unlike in a manufacturing plant where they have much more control over things).

Then he finished by saying, "No problem, we'll be happy to re-shoot the paint for you. The deal we have with your insurance company is that you have a written warranty for life on any of the work we have done."

I'll be bringing it in next week for repainting.

omni

google "diminished value claim <your state>" i was surprised but it worked fine in Arizona with a lawyer that does it on contingency,

google "diminished value claim <your state>" i was surprised but it worked fine in Arizona with a lawyer that does it on contingency,

nphx,

Thanks for this info.

My plan when I acquired the car was to keep it 'forever'. With this objective in mind, I've taken it in for all the recommended [-]pricey[/-] dealer service and made an effort to keep it looking great.

Soon after the accident, I was reflecting on that [diminished value] loss and being rather irritated about it.

The idea of trying to sell the car ASAP after the repair, before the accident information would be in the CARFAX system, crossed my mind.

It's annoying to make the effort to keep a car in great condition only to have some bozo run into it and significantly reduce its value. GRRRRR.

omni

Back
Top Bottom