Car safety-features

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a car that’s nine years old. My significant other’s car is 10 years old. Both cars are low-mileage. We like our cars. However, these two cars don’t have much in the way of safety features such as the: blind-spot monitor; rear cross-traffic monitor; lane-departure warning; etc. Her car doesn’t even have a back-up camera (my car does, but it’s kind of worthless). Luckily, we can afford to buy new cars, but probably would not buy them at the same time. We wouldn't even consider getting new cars, except for the enhanced safety features that the new cars have.

What safety features seem to be particularly important in these new-fangled cars anyway?

We bought a 2017 Volvo. The nice to haves? Heated steering wheel, heated front/rear seats, Adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning. It gives the wheel a little jiggle if you are on the line too long. The adaptive cruise control will take the car to a stop in heavy traffic, then start up again. Active Bending headlights. Mrs Scrapr has a hard time at night. Cross traffic alert when backing (camera). City safe. Bicyclists and peds. The car will stop if cyclists or peds are detected and the car is moving. The newer models have large animal recognition. I think it's supposed to slow and steer around the deer. It also will alert & slow/stop if you are coming up on a car/object too fast

And the usual occupant safety doo dads

I'm sure I missed some

I just got a new Honda Pilot and I would say that the important new safety features are the backup camera, collision warning, and automatic braking in a crash situation. I already had someone step off the curb about 40 feet in front of me and the collision warning went off (they were not in the lane but were headed there).

Blind spot, lane-keeping and adaptive cruise control are nice to have. Note that lane-keeping is not just a warning, it will steer you back into the lane.

https://automobiles.honda.com/safety

Back-up camera, collision warning, automatic breaking, cross traffic alert, blind spot monitor, lane-keeping: if a car doesn't come with all of these, would it be a deal breaker? Or are there cars that have them all? Which safety feature (s) would you be willing to give up? We probably do need the active bending headlights.

I just went through this and for me, it is the rear camera and the blind spot indicator. Along with the rear camera, are sensors that let you know with a tone whether something is coming from the side (like when you pull out of a parking spot) that you can't see.

Of those mentioned above, the only one I would like is the bending headlights. Good vision is critical and it's tougher each year to drive at night.

Personally, I had active cruse control and crash avoidance and I do not like them. I am not in the camp of people who accept giving that kind of control away when driving. Lane departure is just plain irritating. I have it on my current car, but I shut it off.

So I guess in summary - Things that help you see (thumbs up) - Things that control the driving (thumbs down). YMMV

Personally, I had active cruse control and crash avoidance and I do not like them. I am not in the camp of people who accept giving that kind of control away when driving. Lane departure is just plain irritating. I have it on my current car, but I shut it off.

So I guess in summary - Things that help you see (thumbs up) - Things that control the driving (thumbs down). YMMV

I love the Adaptive CC. I use it all the time. I hate the Lane Departure in Mrs Scraprs Rav 4. The Volvo is much less obtrusive. Gently shaking the wheel and guiding you back.

I forgot the newest Volvos have a autonomous lite. It's not perfect but a lot of owners like it. You do have to pay attention. Drivers report being more rested

The rear camera for backing up just now became mandatory for all new vehicles sold in the U.S. That's great as they prevent backing into things, other cars and people.

My new car also has the lane change warning and you can feel it in the steering wheel. I keep.it cut off unless driving late nights long distance by myself.

I do like the automatic braking system for city traffic. It will prevent at least one small accident in the life of most cars.

I wish the adaptive cruise control could be bypassed for old style cruise control. If there is very car in front of you driving slower than your cruise control is set for, it equalizes (slows) your speed with them. Pull out in the other lane and it floors the accelerator. It can be a pretty exciting ride if you're driving a powerful car.

I wish the adaptive cruise control could be bypassed for old style cruise control. If there is very car in front of you driving slower than your cruise control is set for, it equalizes (slows) your speed with them. Pull out in the other lane and it floors the accelerator. It can be a pretty exciting ride if you're driving a powerful car.

On Honda at least, old-school cruise is set by holding down the ACC range selector button.

Hey, I was thrilled when we bought a 2 year old 2003 Camry and it had electric windows and an electric driver seat! I was always too cheap to buy an upgraded model when we used to buy new. Now we buy low mileage used and you don’t always find them with the extras.

Last August I bought a 2014 Corolla S. It’s the sporty model and it has a few upgrades. To me that’s what is making this car so much fun. I never had Bluetooth before and I have a backup camera. It doesn’t have any of the newer safety features but I can see where those would be worth the expense.

My sister and BIL both have new cars with the automatic braking, lane departure warnings, blind spot detection and plenty of other features.

As I get older I see where the new features are very important.

Last edited:
Air bags: Seat (side), B Pillar, A Pillar, side curtain, front.

Front clip crumple zones that achieve a vehicle high safety rating in the event of a head on.

All else is for accident avoidance and driver alertness.

I would not buy a car without a backup camera and adaptive cruise control. I currently have blind spot warning and do use it. It is probably a bit less necessary but very, very nice to have. I don't have lane departure warning but would get it if available.

I will say that the viewing angle of the backup camera is important....

Our older Pilot (15) has a very wide angle... my DW pointed out that when backing up you can use it to see if cars are coming from the blind spot a bit easier.... my Genesis sees downward from the bumper.... when backing out the driveway I cannot even see a car parked across the street.... very irritating...

Genesis has adaptive CC and I do like it... it has lane departure warning but it is useless.... you have to turn it on every time you drive and it only works driving over 45 mph... I have used it a few times but gave up on it...

The emergency rear collision warning is just horrible... it does not brake and I only found out I had it when I had to slam on my brakes from someone doing the same in front of me.... if I had relied on the warning to start braking I would have hit that car pretty hard...

I will admit that it is a '13 so not up to the newest tech...

Hopefully we all have these useful safety features already. Seat belts, Airbags, antilock brakes (ABS), traction control, electronic stability control (ESC).

Backup cameras can vary. On our Toyota’s they were a nice addition, though we always look with our own eyes too. To my surprise, the Subaru backup camera lens gets dirty easily, I have to wipe it clean sometimes. Not so with Toyotas we’ve owned. Inferior aero vs Toyota? Model specific probably.

The OP was more likely asking about the driver assist features below. The systems vary by carmaker, using different technology, some are significantly better than others, and of course they all use different acronyms. None are perfect, many won’t work on ice and snow or even in a downpour (rain) or if lane markings aren’t good.

There won’t be a consensus anyway, but my take...

My favorites:
Blind-spot warning (BSW):*Visual and/or audible notification of vehicle in blind spot. The system may provide an additional warning if you use your turn signal when there is a car next to you in another lane. I like blind spot warning because it tells me when someone is in my blind spot without me straining to look. It’s a light on the right and left mirrors that glow yellow if someone is there. What’s the downside?
Rear cross-traffic warning:*Visual, audible, or haptic notification of object or vehicle out of rear camera range, but could be moving into it. I like rear cross traffic warning because there are times when you’re backing out and simply can’t see because the [-]monster SUV/pickup[/-] vehicle next to you is blocking your view. Instead of creeping out and hoping no one has to swerve to miss you while you strain to see if anyone is coming, the warning tells you to wait. What’s the downside?

Honorable mentions?:
Rear automatic emergency braking (Rear AEB):*Brakes are automatically applied to prevent backing into something behind the vehicle. This could be triggered by the rear cross-traffic system, or other sensors on the vehicle. Rear emergency braking is nice, but the warnings above will most likely prompt you to stop before the car brakes. The only time rear emergency braking is useful to me is when there is a low post or wall you can’t see at all, then it’s handy.
Adaptive cruise control: *Adaptive cruise uses lasers, radar, cameras, or a combination of these systems to keep a constant distance between you and the car ahead, automatically maintaining a safe following distance. If highway traffic slows, some systems will bring the car to a complete stop and automatically come back to speed when traffic gets going again, allowing the driver to do little more than pay attention and steer. Adaptive cruise control is a mixed bag to me. Sure it’s nice that it automatically slows to match the car ahead. But if you want to go 60 mph and you’re approaching a car doing 50 mph, do you want to go 50 mph from then on? With adaptive cruise control, you learn to change lanes well before the cars system “sees” the slow moving car ahead. You could do that yourself with the old non-adaptive cruise control.

50/50:
Lane-departure warning (LDW):*Visual, audible, or haptic warning to alert the driver when they are crossing lane markings. Some people find this helpful while others find it annoying, and it’s unreliable anyway. If you tend to wander (why?) it’ll warn you so you can correct. But if you’re changing lanes with no one anywhere nearby - it’ll beep and flash every time you cross a lane marking unless you have your turn signal on every time. So you have to signal every time, accept warnings when they’re not needed, or disable LDW. And these systems rely on painted lane markings, if they’re faint or missing, LDW won’t work. Where I live lane markers are kinda hit and miss off highways.
Forward-collision warning (FCW):*Visual and/or audible warning intended alert the driver and prevent a collision. Not a bad thing, but not perfect either. A system that warns you soon enough to act will sometimes beep and flash unnecessarily, mine does if a car slows to turn ahead of me and I get close for an instant just before the car ahead clears. If the system was less sensitive, it would be too late in a real emergency. Catch-22? See next feature.
Steering responsive headlights. My car has them, the difference is negligible to me. I don't even notice the beam moving unless I consciously look for it.

My second least favorite:
Automatic emergency braking (AEB):*Brakes are automatically applied to prevent a collision or reduce collision speed. If the FCW warning above didn’t prompt you to brake yourself, why are you so distracted? These systems aren’t magic, they won’t prevent a collision if there’s no warning at all, e.g. if you’re going 60 mph and a car unexpectedly crosses in front of you, AEB might brake a little sooner than you would, but it won’t prevent a collision. Depends on the car/system but some will only prevent a collision at low speed like 35 mph and below while others may work up to 60-70 mph. Do your homework, these systems aren’t all equal between carmakers.

My least favorite:
Lane-keeping assist (LKA):*Automatic corrective steering input or braking provided by the vehicle when crossing lane markings. Lane departure warning should prompt you to correct yourself before the car has to. Lane keeping will only correct a couple of times before a stern warning and/or shutting off because you’re clearly not paying attention. And again, these systems rely on painted lane markings, if they’re faint or missing, LDW and LKA won’t work. Snow, ice and heavy rain are also trouble for LDW and LKA.

Other:
Lane-centering assist: *Continuous active steering to stay in between lanes (active steer, autosteer, etc.). I haven’t experienced this, it’s a precursor to self-driving cars. Available on Tesla and some new Cadillacs and Lexus that I know of.

I just bought a new car with everything above except lane centering assist. And I like the driver assist features for the most part, you learn when and how to use them. Some are helpful at all times, some are selectively useful. OTOH, the dealer told me lots of buyers come back within two weeks of taking delivery of their new car and ask ‘how do I turn off all these *#&$ safety doo dads?’ FWIW.

Last edited:
You get parked next to a big SUV and you can't see anything backing out of a parking spot even if you're flexible enough to twist your body around (I'm not).

Rear AEB and Rear Cross Traffic Warning has saved my butt a few times. Plus the back up camera lets you see what's coming even when your eyes can't as it's 10 feet further out into the parking lot than you are.

My ONE aggravating feature? Auto shut off where if you're sitting at a light the car turns itself off to save gas. That's fine at a light but if you're in stop and go it drives you nuts! Good thing there's an override shut off. (If I can afford a $70K car, I really don't care about saving a half gallon of gas, thank you)

Backup cameras are very nice, but there's an improvement available that's even better. Some cars have enough cameras placed around the car that the computer can stitch all the images together and generate an "overhead view". It really looks like there's a drone overhead with a camera looking down on your car. Very nice.

Someone mentioned backup cameras that get dirty. VW has a nice fix for this - the backup camera is covered by the logo on the back of the car. This flips open when you're in reverse letting the camera see while you need it. When not in reverse, it flips back down covering the camera and keeping it clean.

My ONE aggravating feature? Auto shut off where if you're sitting at a light the car turns itself off to save gas. That's fine at a light but if you're in stop and go it drives you nuts! Good thing there's an override shut off. (If I can afford a $70K car, I really don't care about saving a half gallon of gas, thank you)

These vary a lot. I've driven rentals were the startup was really rough and unpleasant.

On the other other hand some of these systems have gotten really good. On my diesel (go figure) is very smooth when it starts up. I mostly don't even notice it.

These vary a lot. I've driven rentals were the startup was really rough and unpleasant.

On the other other hand some of these systems have gotten really good. On my diesel (go figure) is very smooth when it starts up. I mostly don't even notice it.
I wonder what make/model car Marko is talking about? Engine on/off on our 07 Camry Hybrid and 12 Prius were virtually seamless too.

took DW to look at new foresters and she hated all the "safety" stuff - eyesight, etc

I wonder what make/model car Marko is talking about? Engine on/off on our 07 Camry Hybrid and 12 Prius were virtually seamless too.

+!

Occasionally I notice the engine starting up, but usually I am blissfully unaware of it.

If I were to sell my 2012 it would be to get the improved safety features on modern cars. But, so far my driving is still good, and I seem to have avoided any nick-name starting with the words Crash Helmet.

It's a '17 Mercedes. It IS seamless, but there is an annoying little vibration as it re-starts. Most of the time I just turn it off. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a neurotic on things like that. (At least DW says so, and she's always right)

I upgraded from a 2013 Escape that had the backup camera, park assist (it can parallel park itself), cross-traffic and blind spot alerts to a 2017 that had all of that plus adaptive cruise control, which, as a road-tripper, has changed my life. You just don't realize how much effort there still is with "plain" cruise control to still watch your distance from the previous car, break, accelerate to change lanes, etc. ACC does all of it. It's really amazing.

Park assist also now includes perpendicular parking (ie, in a parking lot) and getting out of spaces, not just in.

Sometimes with this car I feel more like Picard on the bridge, just watching all of the systems, rather than really "driving."

Add in Android Auto, and I pretty much look for any excuse to drive anywhere.

My Highlander has auto stop / start and I worked with a guy to develop a plug in defeat device. Normally it is reset every time you restart the car and has to be manually cancelled. This device reverses the logic.

I drove a hybrid Escape for 10 years with auto stop start and it did not bother me at all. The difference for me is that the vehicle being also electric, when I mashed on the pedal to pull out into traffic, it took right off and the engine started on the way. The Highlander has a delay until the engine starts. It is only a fraction of a second, but when pulling into traffic, fractions of a second matter.

The second issue is the starter itself. In the Escape, it had a motor generator attached directly to the crankshaft, so no starter motor gears against a flywheel gear involved - i.e. no wear, no noise and a very powerful engine spinning force. The Highlander has a beefed up conventional starter system that is supposed to endure the additional starting cycles, but I'm sure one replacement of the starter at OEM prices will erase 10 years of gas saving.

Last edited:
Midpack, your (post #14) will probably prove to be the ultimate guide to car safety-features. You ought to consider updating it every year (e.g. Midpack's 2019 Ultimate Guide to Car Safety-Features).

Honestly, in the overall scheme of things, I think the biggest safety strides were made once collapsible steering columns and shoulder belts became standard equipment in cars. Everything else has made cars even safer, but those two things were a leaps-and-bounds improvement. Just about everything else has been comparative baby-steps.

So in my opinion, at least, I don't think there's much difference between a modern car and a 10 year old car, safety-wise. But then, my automotive experience has ranged from a 1957 DeSoto to a 2012 Dodge Ram, so going from that spectrum, the last 10 years of safety advances probably isn't much.

Now, I might worry about a 10 year old car breaking down, or becoming unreliable, so they might become unsafe in that respect. But that's more of a factor of old age, rather than safety advances.

Back
Top Bottom