Car safety-features

I wonder what make/model car Marko is talking about? Engine on/off on our 07 Camry Hybrid and 12 Prius were virtually seamless too.

I think the difference is the hybrid battery. The car shuts off, then on rolling again it's the hybrid battery that initially moves the car. Then over 7 mph (or whatever) the ICE starts up and off you go. My Volvo wagon is a bit rough on start up. I think that is the evolution by Volvo to the hybrid/electrification of the entire model line

I was reading last night that the newest Volvo have an airbag on the exterior. So if the car hits a ped or cyclist the airbag inflates so the victim doesn't hit the hood or wind screen hard

I think the difference is the hybrid battery. The car shuts off, then on rolling again it's the hybrid battery that initially moves the car. Then over 7 mph (or whatever) the ICE starts up and off you go. My Volvo wagon is a bit rough on start up. I think that is the evolution by Volvo to the hybrid/electrification of the entire model line.
Makes sense. So I did a little reading online and it appears you're right WRT the Prius if not all/most hybrids. Where a pure ICE vehicle with stop/start has to start the engine to move, a hybrid will start creeping forward under EV and not engage the engine until the ICE has reached some minimum RPM. In the case of the Prius the article I read gets the ICE up to min RPM in less than a second but there is a split second delay. Stands to reason hybrids could have a more seamless transition than an ICE only vehicle with stop/start, even a Benz.

I was reading last night that the newest Volvo have an airbag on the exterior. So if the car hits a ped or cyclist the airbag inflates so the victim doesn't hit the hood or wind screen hard

Here's a video. I suppose it also keep the driver protected from the guy flying at the windshield after he is creamed.

Many of the Ford backup cameras have a built in wash system to eliminate the need to manually clean them. Most owners probably don’t realize it’s there.

Here's a video. I suppose it also keep the driver protected from the guy flying at the windshield after he is creamed.

This looks like it will cost a pretty penny to get fixed after it is deployed...

My sister just bought a new Honda Accord with the lane centering feature... she said she used it when driving to Houston from Austin... said it made it much more enjoyable to come here...

I do not know if it works in the city or not..

Our cars are low miles with being 8 and 10 years old. I had no clue there were so many new features. At the rate we are driving we should have them another 10-15 years.

Reading this thread has me concerned about all the distracted drivers out there depending on devices to save their butts. I am thankful the bulk of my driving miles are behind me.

It looks like it will also work well to keep Bambi from coming through the windshield. I'd think that'll happen more often than with pedestrians.

Reading this thread has me concerned about all the distracted drivers out there depending on devices to save their butts. I am thankful the bulk of my driving miles are behind me.
That is the rub. Many of these features arguably enable distracted driving. That’s why I like the features that see things I can’t or provide warnings so I’ll brake or steer. The features that subsequently brake or steer I’m not so good with. I don’t need them, the warnings are enough. But I wish all the pinhead drivers glued to their phones had the full suite of active driver assist features since they can’t be bothered to drive.

Yes, contradiction intended.

But I’m also looking forward to fully self driving cars, they’ll have to do everything - but there’s another thread for that topic.

Last edited:
Maybe it is time to replace the 2002 Toyota with 80k miles or the 2003 with 75k miles? :angel:

Last edited:
It looks like it will also work well to keep Bambi from coming through the windshield. I'd think that'll happen more often than with pedestrians.

Yes, Bambi will just fly over the roof and cream the car directly behind it:facepalm:

Maybe it is time to replace the 2002 Toyota with 80k miles or the 2003 with 75k miles? :angel:

Indeed lots of new features. Have fully paid off 2 cars at 30k miles (2012) and 53k (2011). Can't see getting replacements just yet.:nonono:

I recently replaced a 2000 vehicle with a top of the line 2015. It has rear camera, rear proximity detection. It doesn't have Lane departure, Automatic braking, adaptive CC. Frankly I don't care for them. To get them I would have paid an extra $20,000 for a new model. I am aware that our capabilities diminish as we age.

I feel that if they can't get the rear hatch to not accidentally open with the remote in my pocket, a fairly simple little thing to ask, I have little faith that the "accident avoidance" systems will work as advertised. I have had remote hatch activate unbeknownst to me numerous times in the last 5 months. And then there is the situation where one becomes accustomed to having these things and relying on them to work, then change vehicles without these "features". Oh boy.

Don't you hate it when you hit a pedestrian and they scratch your hood or crack your windshield? Simply inconsiderate! "Victims" indeed!!

Don't you hate it when you hit a pedestrian and they scratch your hood or crack your windshield? Simply inconsiderate! "Victims" indeed!!

Our boy totaled the low mileage Honda on Prom night. Airbags blew. Totaled

So victim walks away and I have to buy a new car!*

*no pedestrians or cyclists were harmed in this post

Last edited:

I really haven't found that these things have made me more distracted with driving. They are a tool that I have found useful. For example, I certainly drove for years without a rear camera. But, having had one for several years there is no doubt that it has added to safety.

Not everyone is a distracted driver.
Getting older is a factor, slower reaction time, ability to twist around and so on. The 'other guy' could also be a distracted driver.

How many times have any of us seen some dope just walk out into the street, head down on his phone, ear buds on with a hoodie not even thinking to look and then totally amazed at seeing a car slam on their brakes in front of him?

I'm convinced that driving is more dangerous now than 15 years ago; I'll take all the help I can get!

Last edited:
Our boy totaled the low mileage Honda on Prom night. Airbags blew. Totaled

So victim walks away and I have to buy a new car!*

*no pedestrians or cyclists were harmed in this post

Funny story:
Years ago my boss' son totaled dad's 6 week old Mercedes. Boss was running around saying "See! Everyone said I was crazy to give the keys of a $90K car to a 16 year old...but that car is so safe and well-built and he just walked away!!"

To which someone whispered to me "He'd have walked away if he'd been driving a Ford Pinto too".

BTW, glad to hear YOUR son is ok (after his grounding)

What safety features seem to be particularly important in these new-fangled cars anyway?

IMHO - none.

When it's time to buy a new car, then and only then will I consider new safety features. Until then, our 11 and 7 year old cars are fully safe enough.

I don't plan to jump on the "gotta have the newest feature" bandwagon.

IMHO - none.

When it's time to buy a new car, then and only then will I consider new safety features. Until then, our 11 and 7 year old cars are fully safe enough.

I don't plan to jump on the "gotta have the newest feature" bandwagon.
I agree. I traded an 11 year old Camry Hybrid on the new car with all the latest driver assist features. They are interesting though and I don’t regret ponying up for the full safety feature suite. Some of them are very helpful, some not so much (I summarized my POV earlier).

Back
Top Bottom