CATV Splitter

Interesting question. So I measured it:
Question for you...what do you use to measure it?

I was wondering, now that electronics have gotten so much more affordable, if there was a device (oscilloscope?) for cheap that would let me see the amount of signal on various OTA TV frequencies.

Interesting question. So I measured it:

3dB splitter, both ports terminated, 3.6dB loss to each port. Why not 3.0dB? Because there are splitter losses, primarily in the coupling transformer.

As above, with one port open, the other terminated, 4.2dB loss to the terminated port. Where is the 'lost power' going? Actually, there is no lost power; the generator (or CATV system) is now mismatched, and is delivering less power to the splitter than before.

So the answer to the OP's question is that you need to remove the splitter to increase the signal level at your TV.

I am also wondering what you used to measure the signal, and were you measuring analog or digital carriers?

I was wondering, now that electronics have gotten so much more affordable, if there was a device (oscilloscope?) for cheap that would let me see the amount of signal on various OTA TV frequencies.

Fair question.

The signal source was an HP 8656A signal generator (from the days when HP was a test equipment company!) Output level was measured with an HP model 432A power meter. These tests were done with a 50 ohm 3dB splitter of unknown manufacture.

Now, I'm aware of the fact that CATV systems are 75 ohms, but the principles apply in any case, providing matching impedances are used throughout.

As for low cost test equipment, yes, you can buy RF test equipment that plugs into a laptop's USB port: signal generators, power meters, even spectrum analyzers. Mini-Circuits is one company to look at.

Of course, low cost is relative - we're talking hundreds or even low thousands of dollars. But 'back in the day' the HP equipment that I have here would have cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Just an update. I never called the cable co, and I never did anything to the connections. Just left well enough alone. Then... the cable co did an "all digital update" to everyone in my area. They sent letters out saying you had to have a DTA (digital to analog?) converter for it to work. I already had a DTA so I was OK. Still did not call cable co. Well, the "all digital conversion" went ahead yesterday. And today I now get all those channels (except 2) that were pixilated, or were just missing completely. Who woulda thunk it would work out this well?

Back
Top Bottom